1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dammit!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by HDTVFreak07, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    SciFi in HD's still not captioning most of their programs. Tried to watch Bionic Woman (because the HR20 messed up on the recording Wednesday night) and Stargate Atlantis but they're not captioned. Now I have to watch this in SD. I'm not too happy about this. I thought they finally solved this when other programs were captioning most of the day.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I understand that you're frustrated, but we're here for you.

3. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    Actually, I'm not. Sorry but I have other commitments. Please stay strong buckaroo.

4. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    What's that supposed to mean? How can I enjoy a program if I can't understand any dialogues? It's just so unfair. Everyone can enjoy a program in HD rather than SD but I can't if it won't be captioned.

5. smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    I think he was just messing with you, probably not personal is my guess.

Do you know if they are broadcasting these with captioning. I mean is it getting lost at DirecTV or is the SciFi HD channel not putting caption on the stream?

I'm guessing that you don't/can't listen to the audio?

6. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    You are so right! I've done some limited work with the deaf. Hearing disabilities are one of the most prejudiced against in our country. The question is though, what can you do to adress the issue that you face? Is the lack of captioning a problem with Directv or the station that you are trying to watch?

You may want to email both in a nice way and let them know of your frustration and ask them kindly to give you some direction as to who to address this with so the issue might be resolved.

7. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    I listen to the audio but need captions to be able to follow a program. To be honest, I'm hard of hearing, not completely Deaf.

It is on SciFi's end, not D*. They (the CC) worked on Tales of the Crypt, Odessey 5 (until after the last commercial, captioning stopped working), and a few other shows throughout the day (I didn't actually watch all day, just checking in on that channel seeing if other programs were captioning on the HD channel).

8. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I don't think it's prejudice. It's just a failure to think about deaf/hh issues.

I'm seeing CC on Sci-Fi HD now. (But not A&EHD, USA-HD, NatGeo-HD, TBS-HD, or HistoryHD. )

9. Spike

Spike Legend

Jul 4, 2007
    Agreed!

10. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    As stated before this is new to everyone. How bout giving them a bit of time before we blow our top.

11. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    I would also check the captioning settings possibly trying others. The addition of HD captioning features create quite a challenge to support them in the receiver.

12. HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07 Icon

Sep 12, 2007
    They HAVE been working but not for certain programs such as Stargate Atlantis, Bionic Woman, and some others.

By the way, USA Network is also captioning now (in HD). Watched Monk last night and for a little bit yesterday morning, JAG.

13. Malibu13

Malibu13 Lifetime Achiever

Sep 12, 2004
    N.E North...

I am also seeing more and more captions on SciFi HD than when it was first released in the rollout. As another who relies on this feature, i am pleased to at least see an effort being made to correct the problem. Since these channels came online, i have sent several emails (polite of course :) ) regarding the CC issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.