1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

damn DTV pisses me off sometimes... dual tuner issue

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hoopsrgreat, Jun 25, 2013.

1. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I have had DTV since probably 1998, I recently moved in january and got the whole home dvr using the genie, but I kept two HD DVRs, one of which is the hr21-700. I have used the dual tuner capabilities on this DVR since the feature became available several years ago.

At our new house we have had some issues with our system sporadically, DVRs disconecting from the network randomly, losing my dual tuners, and no pic at all in one of my kids rooms, but they all would randomly fix themselves.

Well I have been disconnected from the network now for several days and I now only have one tuner available to me in the master BR using the hr-700. I call today and the damn CSR on the line tells me that the HR21-700 does not have dual tuner capabilities and that he doesnt know what i was doing to make it work, but it is not supported....... HUH.

I assured him I used the feature for 5 years.. hell probably longer, and that it is in fact a feature on this DVR.

Anyways, a tech is coming out in a few days. i love DTV, but when the CSR person shows how little they know about the equipment, they lose massive credibility. Just pisses me off that tey tell me something that is absolutley false.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    It's possible that the CSR wasn't listening when you said you have an HR21 and only heard H21.
    With the addition of the Genie on your system with 2 HDVRs you now have 9 tuners.
    Unless you have the SWM16 on the sytem, this could be part of the problem you're seeing.

3. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Well the other DVR in my movie room is not running dual tuners, they only have 1 tuner hooked up. Im not sure what caused the problem, but the csr looked up my equipment so if he did nto know he should have. In addition, what would allow me to use the dual tuners on this dvr for 6 months and then all of the sudden stop working?

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Do you have a SWM 16? It almost sounds like you just have the SWM LNB.

And the H21-700 doesn't even exist.

1 person likes this.
  5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Please make sure you have a SMW16 if you have more than 8 tuners, also you need to make sure that there are no more than 8 tuners per SWM leg.....your symptoms sound pretty much dead on with a too many tuners for a SWM8 or too many tuners on one leg of a SMW16. Are you 100% sure that Directv knew you were keeping your 2 HR's on the acct when they upgraded to Genie during your move in January? Of did you do some re-arranging possibly when they might not have recovered one or both HR's.

6. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    They knew exactly what i was doing and they were the ones that installed EVERYTHING. i did nothing except give them the dvrs and tell them where I wanted them. Who said anything about an h21-700??? and considering im talking about an HD DVR and I said it was the hr21-700, im pretty sure those exist. Now when I moved into this house in January, their was already a dish up, and they used that dish. i have NO CLUE about which it is. I used to stay up on all of this stuff, but have been out of the loop for the past 2-3 years, so pretty clueless on newer equipment.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Unfortunately its been about 6 months since your install. If you were having tuner issues, etc. you should have called months ago. If you have the PP you're covered though. It sounds like you just had a miscommunication with the CSR you spoke to. Do you have 4 lines coming in from the dish to a central location, or is there a single line coming in from the dish, that will be a good indicator of what you have.

8. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    There is only one line coming into the house from the dish. I havent been having problems the entire time. I have had dual tuner capabilities in my master bedroom on the hr21-700 up until last week.

9. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Your setup only allows for 8 tuners total. You have a Genie 5 tuners, and two HDDVRs 4 tuners, total of 9 tuners. The will certainly cause the problem you are describing. When the tech comes out they will remove the lnb and put in one with 4 wires coming out of it, then they will install a SWiM-16. The new setup will be good for up to 16 tuners total. Good luck with the new install.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    One line coming in is bad. That means you have a LNB SWM which is limited to 8 tuners. Probably all this time, you've only had 4 working tuners on the Genie. What you could do is shut the Genie down, reboot the HR2x boxes, then when they are fully up, boot the Genie back up. This will cause the Genie to use 4 tuners and be under the limit.

If the Genie ever boots up before the HR2x's, you'll have the same issue, so this is a temporary fix until you get the SWM 16 you should have gotten.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It shouldn't matter what the timing is, the installer didn't follow any approved setup. If the Genie booted up last, he wouldn't have noticed an issue unless he tried to use all 5 tuners. This is something DirecTV should fix free of charge.

12. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    It sounds like you think they had turned off one of the tuners on one of the DVRs but ill bet that's not the case or something reset.

They need to install a swim16 which they should have done at no cost in the in the first place and be done with it.

13. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    That is EXACTLY what they did. When I initially got these HD DVRs several years ago, two separate lines would run from the dish ionto the DVRs. Now with this new equipment, the equivalent of a splitter is used close to the dvr feeding tuner 1 and 2... I dont know exactly what it is called, im sure you all do. They had this "Splitter" running on one of the HD DVRs, and no such splitter on the second DVR in my master BR. i took the splitter from my movie room dvr and installed it on the DVR in my bedroom as I didnt really care about having dual tuners in my movie room. That means the Genie would have had 5 tuners, 2 tuners to the DVR in my master BR, and only 1 tuner in my movie room for a total of 8. The part that pisses me off is a CSR telling me that the equipment I have does not support dual tuners...lol. That just got me pissed off as i know for a FACT that they do. I tried to tell him, but he had no clue. Regradless, when the tech comes on Thursday, i will tell him the info I got from you all to get the system up to where it should be. Im paying for those 2 HD DVRs, I better get the benefit of those tuners as well.

14. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Hmm, with SWM one single cable feeds both tuners internally, no need for splitters. Sounds like you have an HR20-100 which needs a special configuration when used in WHDVR

15. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I have 2 HD DVRs, on eis an hr21-700 (Glossy black) and an hr20-700 (older silver one). The line from the dish comes into the genie, then the other receivers are using the coax that is run throughout the house, and to get a dual tuner, they have some kind of splitter that the coacx goes into, then splits into 2 lines into the hr21-700. The hr20-700 is only using 1 tuner, so no splitter is used.

16. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    With the "new" system, you only need one coax into each DVR.

Except on the HR20-100 which requires two coax cables connected in a special configuration due to a power issue with that DVR. So your HR21-700 shouldn't have two lines. If you press and hold the INFO button on your white DirecTV remote, it will display the model number after about 5 seconds.

Bottom line: with more than 8 tuners, you must have a SWM16 installed to use all tuners. Or turn one tuner off (under satellite settings). But DirecTV should come out and install this free as they didn't do it correct the first time.

17. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have 2 HD DVRs, on eis an hr21-700 (Glossy black) and an hr20-700 (older silver one). The line from the dish comes into the genie, then the other receivers are using the coax that is run throughout the house, and to get a dual tuner, they have some kind of splitter that the coacx goes into, then splits into 2 lines into the hr21-700. The hr20-700 is only using 1 tuner, so no splitter is used.

Then something is not right. or perhaps you are referring to the DECA Home Adapter. is there any model number on this "splitter"?

1 person likes this.
  18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    . Regradless, when the tech comes on Thursday, i will tell him the info I got from you all to get the system up to where it should be. Im paying for those 2 HD DVRs, I better get the benefit of those tuners as well.

With a correct installation, including a swm16 without a side being overloaded with tuners, you will have access to all the tuners all the time.

19. hoopsrgreat

hoopsrgreat Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    I dont have more than 8 tuners. i have the genie plus 2 clients for a tv in the living room and my daughters bed room, plus the tv that is hooked up to the main unit (im assuming thisis the genie) plus the HD DVR dual tuner in my masterm and an HD DVR that is only using a sungle tuner in my movie room, so that would be only 6 tuners?? NO,

The splitter is a "Connected Home Adapter" model # dca2sr0-01.

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I dont have more than 8 tuners. i have the genie plus 2 clients for a tv in the living room and my daughters bed room, plus the tv that is hooked up to the main unit (im assuming thisis the genie) plus the HD DVR dual tuner in my masterm and an HD DVR that is only using a sungle tuner in my movie room, so that would be only 6 tuners?? NO,

The splitter is a "Connected Home Adapter" model # dca2sr0-01.

no you are counting (devices or receiver) a Genie "eats" or takes 5 tuners, a DVR takes two, a receiver (HD or SD) takes one, a client takes 0. so since you have 1 Genie, 2 HDDVRs, that would be 9 tuners.

The DECA that you mentioned is there so that the HDDVR can join the coax network