1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Patrick on 101

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ejjames, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1 of 20
    ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I'm really enjoying the DP show on the 101, and I'm a casual sports fan.

It looks great, and DirecTv does a good job. Another free perk from directv!

2. Nov 9, 2009 #2 of 20
    tko

tko Cool Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I work out of my house and the DP show is my morning background 'noise'. It was pretty funny today when he tried to pull off the jumpers with Coach K on the phone.

3. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Turns out DP has an awesome 14' "set shot". Coach K was very funny.

4. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I record it every day, and play it back as I do household chores. It really makes the time fly, and can be very funny at times.

I loved Coach K's comment about DP "getting off the floor in 'stages'....too funny!

5. bigpuma

bigpuma Legend

Feb 15, 2004
    I agree that it is great to get DP on the 101 but I would hardly call it free. My monthly bill from DirecTV is quite a bit higher than free. ;)

6. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

You know what he meant.

7. Oct 4, 2010 #7 of 20
    mws192

mws192 Godfather

Jun 17, 2010
    "Sources with knowledge of the deal say that beginning October 25, DirecTV's television simulcast of Patrick's popular radio show will be available on all Fox Sports Net regional sports networks, as well as DirecTV, Comcast and MSG RSNs."

"The deal would potentially put Patrick's show in around 85 million homes, and marks the first time a DirecTV original show has been sold into national syndication."

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ar...Dan_Patrick_Show_Getting_Syndication_Deal.php

8. Oct 4, 2010 #8 of 20
    sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Here is the offical release via Dan Patrick's Website. Interesting that most every CSN also signed up.....minus CSN California/Bay Area. Wonder if that will change, it sure will give DP a lot more exposure. My guess is most of the CSN's will be on board once the Comcast/NBC deal is done since DP also works for NBC. The only CSN that wouldn't be in the deal I can think of would be CSNNW with his show already being on FSNNW (DirecTV owned).

9. Oct 4, 2010 #9 of 20
    jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    No CSN Philly on that list either, not really surprising...

10. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    This is great for Dan Patrick's "brand" and possibly DirecTV's too (Depending on how much it continues to promote DirecTV programming.) However, it's another example why many of us view 26 HD RSNs as counting as 1 national HD channel and not separate national HD channels that just happen to carry all the same programming.

Yeah, DirecTV would be idiotic to syndicate their programming to any channel that DirecTV isn't allowed to carry. It does bring up the interesting possibility that D* could use the 101 as a bargaining chip to gain programming. Friday Night Lights is on its last legs but they have a complete exclusive on Damages. If the skipped the free previews and focused slightly more on "exclusive" programming, the 101 would be very close to being an FX/USA type of channel that could be sold to competing providers. It would lose the DirecTV exclusiveness but it could help to keep Comcast/TimeWarner/etc. channels on the system as a trade off.

11. paco1986

paco1986 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    But wouldn't it be financially smart to take the money?

12. QuickDrop

QuickDrop Hall Of Fame

Jul 20, 2007
    It's largely about Comcast and Philadelphia. Denying that market a filmed radio program isn't going to cost D* anything. Anything they can use as leverage to have better access to Philadelphia market is much more important, though it's extremely doubtful it will matter much in negotiations either way.

13. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    CSN Bay Area is part owned by fox.

But I don't want to see NBC take over CSN Chicago.

Any ways CSN Chicago does have some WGN / Tribune ties to it.

any ways the teams can just pull out and form a rsn with WGN / Tribune. WGN and WCIU do a good job with sports right now.

14. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    DP proving he is bigger than the Mothership. I bet ESPN said a few choice expletives over this deal.

15. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    The CSN network is part of the key in the deal with NBC they are hoping to tie those in with Vs and NBC to compete with ESPN/ABC. Fox has about a 20% ownership in CSNBA, 50% is owned by Comcast, and 30% by The SF Giants. This may change when the GS Warriors contract comes up next year, they are hoping to get a lot more out of it (new ownership is banking on it literally). CSNCA is mostly owned by Comcast I think the Maloofs (Sac Kings) and Oak A's may have a small interest. I would see the DP Show going on CSNCA, it would fill the 3 hrs before the Gary Radnich show....plus it would fit better there after Comcast and NBC become "1."

As for CSN Chicago, 20% I am pretty sure is owned by Comcast, I doubt you'd see that change unless one team got mad and wanted to go out on their own. When they started up CSN Chicago they worked out a deal with FOX to still use FSN programing to fill their schedule.

16. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But with the nbc deal how will they feel about Chicago tribune live?

Games on WGN / WCIU?

17. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    As a HDTV geek, it will be interesting to see if there is any difference in quality between the 101 feed and my FS North feed on 668.

18. mattdreed

mattdreed Cool Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Since this is a general Dan Patrick thread, and not solely a syndication thread, I hope I'm not off-topic here.

Watching the DP show, and shots of the studio, it seems their TV monitors are showing a HD version of the sports mix channel. Has anyone noticed this? Though I don't watch the sports mix channel much, I imagine I would more if it were HD.

It could be that they've stretched the picture for the monitors, but it looks too good for that.

--MATT

19. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I notice this too and think they must be stretching it. I think the monitors are too far away to get a good evaluation of quality.

20. jefbal99

jefbal99 Hall Of Fame

Sep 7, 2007
    I'm pretty sure its stretched. For the amount of analysis that is done for the transponder data, we'd know if there was an HD feed. Heck, I think DirecTV used the sports mix TP during the last presidential election to have the news mix in HD for the night...