1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing with the Stars: Week 5 OAD 4/6/09

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Apr 7, 2009.

Who would you like to see leave tonight:

1. Chuck Wicks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Lawrence Taylor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Shawn Johnson

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Melissa Rycroft

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. David Alan Grier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gilles Marini

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  7. Steve-O

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Ty Murray

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  9. Lil' Kim

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Apr 7, 2009 #1 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Before I start the formal review, friends, two customary notes that I seem to make every season.

First of all, the audio mix on this show tends to go from bad to worse. The rear channels are far too hot, and Mr. Bergeron's microphone is frequently drowned out in the beginning of the show. This tends to get fixed as the night wears on. It's such a consistent issue that it must be the audio technician's doing.

Second of all, if I seem awfully critical of the show and its participants, it's simply because I hope you all know that I have huge respect for those people who participate. This is hard work, especially if you're over 35, and the number of injuries bears testimony to that. These are, for the most part, fairly ordinary people who are pushing their endurance to the limit for your entertainment. To each of them, especially those with less innate talent, a hearty thank you and "well done!"

2. Apr 7, 2009 #2 of 18
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Last night, the judges pulled back a bit from their "activist scoring" stances, and the result was closer scoring and a little more satisfaction all around. Still, in week five it becomes clear that there are definitely three categories of dancers, and really as far as the competition is concerned, only one counts. It's possible someone else could climb up to the top echelon, but at this point it seems unlikely.

The Contenders:
    Leading the list last night was another charged-up performance from Mr. Marini and Ms. Burke. He continues to surprise everyone, and excite the female population, with his intensity and flair. She gives him the hard stuff and he takes it. It was not technically perfect, and the judges responded with 10/9/10. One question, Mr. Marini... how is it that when we have dark circles under my eyes and haven't shaven, I look like a bum but you look like a hunk?

Miss (Shawn) Johnson and Mr. Ballas were not terribly far behind with a waltz that was well suited to Miss Johnson's character, well executed and smooth. Still, a word from an old fuddy-duddy... I think the costume designers have to realize that this is a 17-year-old girl and maybe that much cleavage isn't really appropriate here, especially since she's already got one stalker. At any rate, a well-deserved 9/8/9.

Ms. Kim and Mr. Hough simply didn't deserve the same score of 9/8/9 as Miss Johnson. Seriously? They were good, I'll grant you, but just not that good. Mr. Hough danced around Ms. Kim in a way that made it seem like large portions of her choreography was removed. The judges gushed, perhaps trying to keep her in the top four where they feel she belongs.

Ms. Rycroft and Mr. Dovolani round out the predictable top four with a paso doblé that was scored a little too high in my opinion. This isn't really the right dance for her sunny temperament (I mean that as a compliment really) and there were mistakes. A bit of activist judging kept her at 8/8/9.

The Pretenders
    In the middle of the pack were lackluster and largely forgettable performances from dancers who are obviously destined to be picked off one by one at a convenient time. It's a shame, because these are the folks who are really trying hard to break out.

Mr. Wicks has shown nothing to me that says he's as good a dancer as the judges say and they seem to be tiring of him, dismissing his clumsy performance with 7/8/8.

Mr. Grier danced a waltz that simply had the wrong character. It was not smooth or graceful, but the judges want him to stay. Their score of 7/8/7 was a gift.

Mr. Taylor's slow, sloppy and short paso doblé left the judges no choice but to reward him with a richly deserved 6/7/7. I put him in mid-pack even though the scores don't merit it... because at this point he's just not interesting enough to be in the bottom two.

The Dead-Enders
    A mid-pack score of 7/7/7 was far to generous for Mr. Murray and Ms. Hightower last night. This paso doblé was just plain robotic. He didn't get into character and honestly, neither did she. It started slow, had no passion, and ended after too long. This was in my opinion the worst dance of the night.

Of course, most people will tell you that Mr. O and Ms. Schwimmer's odd French waltz should earn them a trip to the back door, but I'll tell you something, that guy is trying. He's not goofing off this week and ok, he doesn't have what it takes. The judges gave him points for improvement... 6/6/6 and if this is his last week, he goes out on a high.

My pick to go home: Mr. Murray
    Whom America will choose: Mr. -O

3. Apr 7, 2009 #3 of 18
    Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I just hope Steve-O goes ... it's difficult to watch. Gilles continues to impress, and moving on up each week is Lil Kim. She's showing improvement each week and I think is going to start giving Shawn and Melissa some serious competition for front-runner status (behind Gilles, of course).

4. Apr 7, 2009 #4 of 18
    hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    My wife watches this and then "requests" me to join her from time to time (I have the refusal bruises to prove it :D).

Based on last night...I'd have to agree with Drew's assessment.

5. Apr 7, 2009 #5 of 18
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Either one is fine with me.

6. Apr 7, 2009 #6 of 18
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    I'm a little late to the party looks like.

Top Four:

Gilles and Cheryl: Is there a dance out there he can't do well? And you're right Stuart, how can he pull off that look and a normal guy can't? Hands down the best in the competition.

Shawn and Mark: Last week Mark tried to showcase her gymnastic abilities and it cost them; this week Mark choreographed a simple yet very moving Viennese waltz and she was absolutely flawless. As to the costume designers, yes she's 17. Yes she has a stalker. But, other than her age, what makes her dress any different from those that Edyta or Karina wear. They show even more than Shawn.

Melissa and Tony: The paso was going to be difficult for her because of her personality. You could see her concentrating hard all over her face and when she made a mistake it was even more evident. Good but not great.

Lil Kim and Derek: I didn't like the dance but the judges did. When others didn't show much other than the pro dancing around their partners, they were reprimanded for it. Derek got away with it last night.

Middle of the floor:

Chuck and Julianne: I wonder how much affect their being in Vegas the night before had on their showing last night. He's not bad but he's not good, so would that make him so-so?

DAG and Kym: The same as Chuck. Not bad but not good; a lot has to do with their chemistry. Kym hasn't seemed to be able mesh along with anyone she has danced with except for last year with Warren.

Bottom Three:

Ty and Chelsea: If this was just ballroom dances, Ty would be fine. The latin dances are and will be his downfall.

Steve-O and Lacey: While this was clearly his best dance, he is just not a dancer.

Lawrence and Edyta: For an ex-NFL linebacker, he is not light enough on his feet. I thought he was going to stomp his way through the floor last night.

Going home:

America will keep Steve-O but Ty will probably be the one going.

7. Apr 7, 2009 #7 of 18
    Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Can't remember which judge said it last week, but it is almost impossible to distinguish who the pro is between these two.

8. Apr 7, 2009 #8 of 18
    jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Carri Anne said it.

9. Apr 7, 2009 #9 of 18
    hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Why....oh why......:eek2::lol:

10. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Why? Because as much as it pains me to say, he is working very hard to be the best dancer he can be. Mr. Murray... if that's his best then he needs to go, badly. Otherwise he just didn't work up to capacity this week.

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Then again, there's always next week. ;)

12. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Thank you, Jody. :)

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Well, I won't say it was the most shocking elimination yet, but I al a bit surprised. Two of you obviously guessed right though. I'm most surprised that Mr. -O didn't even make the bottom two. Obviously there's a fan base there.

14. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    You're welcome sir. :)

Now on to last night, when Steve-O doesn't even make the bottom two,I have to think that something really needs to be done about the elimination process. Seriously, he and Ty should've been the bottom two (who knew so many country folks watch DWTS? :lol:). But when someone like DAG, who has consistently been in the middle of the field, gets voted off over someone who clearly has not an ounce of rhythm in them? Gotta cry foul.

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    ...and that's a bit scary....I'm all for rooting for the underdog...but in Steve-O's case....:eek2::eek2::eek2::D

16. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    Not the first time we've been treated to a surprise elimination. Any time the voting public is involved in the process, ability goes out the door and popularity sets in.

I think the producers are trying to deal with the irrational behavior of our voters. The dance off seems to point in that direction. But I'm afraid it'll take a bit more than what they're doing. I wish I knew what. Short of cutting out the public vote, I can't think of a substantial solution.

17. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    Why not make the judges scores worth more than the public vote?

18. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    It's a thought. Will it eliminate or stanch the effects of a squirrely popularity vote? Not sure.

But I agree that they need to do something.