1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dancing with the Stars Week 7: 11/3-11/5

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Stuart Sweet, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1 of 27
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    For phrelin, Lee L, jodyguercio, and Charise, who I believe are my only devoted readers at this point, I present this somewhat truncated review:

Finally, in week 7, we are seeing some small amount of talent seeping through. Ms. (Brooke) Burke continues to surprise, and as long as she continues improving, she's an easy bet for winning. Although, she might have a bit more competition from Mr. Bass than I expected. Despite their shoeless outing, he and Ms. Schwimmer have definitely found their groove.

As for the rest of the pack, I must say, mediocrity reigns supreme. I saw nothing new here, nothing worth comment. The rest of the pack are just waiting to be picked off one at a time, starting unfortunately with Ms. Lucci. I have genuine sympathy for her. Despite what the judges say, she continues to look lost and confused. She was certainly the downfall of the team dance.

Programming note: as you no doubt know, the results show will air on Wednesday this week. Try to contain your boundless anticipation. (does this system have a sarcasm smiley?)

My pick to go home on Wednesday: Ms. Lucci. Please make it stop.
    Who I think America will pick: Ms. Lucci.

2. Nov 4, 2008 #2 of 27
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    So, I was washing the dishes while the show was on and was not paying 100% attention, but did anyone see anythign remotely deserving of the scores that Susan got on her solo dance this week? What I saw was disjointed and crappy and my wife, who was paying full attention was even more critical. Then the judges practically gushed all over her. I see you mention it in your remarks Stuart, but I really thought she deserved to be the lowest ranking and it makes me wonder what they see that I do not.

I agree that it looks to be a runaway for Brooke Burke (though I would not quite say she moves like a pro just yet, though she is miles better than the others) with Lance and Lacey potentially coming in a distant second.

3. Nov 4, 2008 #3 of 27
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007

My wife said the same thing as yours Lee. She said that Susan looked like she was dancing by numbers. Please for the love of everything make her stop.

Personally I dont like the whole "team dancing thing". This is Bruno vs. Carri Ann (which was stupid btw) so don't try and bring it here.

Lance and Lacey are going to turn this show on its ear I think, Len is never going to like them thats a fact but what they are doing is bringing in the younger crowd. Stuart I can remember back when you didnt like her and I kept telling you, let it sink in and sure enough now youre onboard with them too. They'll easily make final three if not two but in the end Ms (Brooke) Burke is going to run away with it.

4. Nov 4, 2008 #4 of 27
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Jody, did I come around to their way of thinking, or did they come around to mine? They fit the "conventional" mold a lot more now, don't they?

5. Nov 4, 2008 #5 of 27
    jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    I think it was a little of both, I think you've learned to think a little more out of the box with their edge of the standard routines ie last nights. Very traditional but they pushed it with some contemporary thrown in. Which was quite well done btw and I think wouldve made Ms Mia Michaels very proud of Lacey.

6. Nov 4, 2008 #6 of 27
    cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Please add me to your dedicated readers list! I actually look forward to it every Tuesday.

7. Nov 4, 2008 #7 of 27
    Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Stuart, excellent recap, and I can only agree with your picks.

I think Brooke is outstanding! She displays the emotions (except I think she flubbed a little last night and grinned about it for a second), athleticism, grace, and style for this show. It's a pleasure to watch her each week!

I think Susan showed more attention to the beat last night resulting in her higher scores. She always makes me think of a porcelain doll; thus, her attempts at stamping her feet were pretty weak. :rolleyes: She puts in a lot of effort despite her unease, and I think the judges just wanted to reward her for that--probably feeling that she's going home.

I won't rehash everyone's performance, but I thoroughly enjoyed Lance and Lacey's performance.

I wasn't paying really close attention during the team dances--the first was pretty bad, which is totally unfair to the only competitor that might have a chance-Lance. In the second dance, I thought Maurice Green's solo was terrible and would bring that team's score down. Obviously wrong about the score, but did anyone else see anything there?

Lots of suspense tonight, though not too much (I hope), so a crowded TV night on Wednesday will be more crowded with the DWTS results. Glad I have two 2-tuner DVRs! :D

8. Nov 5, 2008 #8 of 27
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Stuart, insightful observations as usual.

Ms. Lucci. I thought my wife was going to have apoplexy over the high scores the judges gave her. Jody, your wife's "dance by numbers" comment is a perfect description.

Did I see it right, Cody Linley on the bottom? Yeah, judges let's be kind to Susan so much that she'll end up in the top 4. And if she doesn't leave tomorrow because of the judge's scores, I probably won't be allowed to watch the show any more.

9. Nov 5, 2008 #9 of 27
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Here is where you see the slight bias of the judges toward keeping contestants who will bolster ratings. Mr. Linley doesn't bring his demographic to the show, but Ms. Lucci does.

10. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

11. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    +1

My wife was livid. :mad:

12. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, Susan is gone, so woohoo! When they left it between Cody and Susan at the end, my wife and I were both primed for Cody going home, but happiliy it was the one who actually deserved it for once.

13. jodyguercio

Aug 16, 2007
    My wife and I wouldve been upset if Cody had gone home too Lee. I honestly thought he did a very good job considering he was with someone new this far into the show. Please for all that is decent no more gimicks, stick to singles dancing. What did you think of the Stars of Dance number last night?

14. cdc101

cdc101 Godfather

Jan 8, 2007
    Definitely agree here about Julianne...I mean Cody. :D

Seriously though, I would have been almost as upset if Cody would have gone home before Susan as I was when Sabrina went home as quick as she did a couple seasons ago.

IMO, Derek and Brooke are (should be)going all the way. That Hough family can dance!

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Fortunately, the voters have allowed me to watch the rest of the season.:grin:

16. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    It was Susan's turn to go. I think all the remaining dancers are more accomplished than she was. I'd sure like to see Tony get a partner with some promise for a season.

Sorry, phrelin, I think. I'm guessing your comment was sarcastic. Nice to see your comments here though.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As I noted earlier, my wife so mad at the scores the judges gave Susan that had she not been voted off I'm not sure I would have been allowed to watch the show any more.:eek2:

18. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    All I can say is that I hope I'm inspired to write more for next week. I was bored by the Stars of Dance. The only thing that kept me awake was the hope that I would be able to watch poor Ms. Lucci dance her last.

I have so much respect for her, going as far as she did at her age. However, I will say that she did it without the good humor shown by Mr. Springer, Mr. Hamilton, or Ms. Leachman.

19. Henry

Henry Retired Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Pine, CO
    I agree for the most part. However, she was in retrospect more of a dead fish than a performer. At least the people you list gave it a try ... Lucci just came across to me as "entitled". No entertainment value that I can recall unless one counts walking on eggshells and fish out of water as inate talents.

The prize, if any, should go to Tony for suffering through this season hamstrung as he was by a bygone wannabe diva.

Sure hope Miss Lucci sticks to soaps.

Stuart ... please keep your weeklies coming. I and others enjoy them greatly.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, the Stars of Dance were boring. But for us the pros dancing to the singing talent is usually very good, and this week was no exception. We do enjoy Lionel Richie's music, though perhaps some more than others. (We'll see about his new album in when it comes out in February, in the meantime we'll dig up some old Commodores tracks.)

All in all, it would have been a great 30 minute show - repeat group number, Lionel Richie with pros dancing, hey Susan past time for you to go home. No DanceCenter or Macy's Stars of Dance or meaningless Chattering With The Stars.