1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dangers of buying used 722?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by rosterha, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 #1 of 10
    rosterha

rosterha New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    I'm lookoing at buying a used 722 vs leasing from dish to avoid a new contract. What do I need to watchout for?

2. May 7, 2012 #2 of 10
    Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    It might not work, it may be linked to another customer, and you will still have to pay a $199 activation fee. Bonus is you will not need a contract, but being a pay-in-advance customer comes with second-class treatment in my experience. Get the receiver ID number (R01...) and smart card (S19...), run these by dish before buying to make sure it's legit.

3. May 7, 2012 #3 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Agree with most of what Wire Nut said... but what $199 activation fee are you talking about?

4. May 7, 2012 #4 of 10
    Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Several years back I bought a pair of 811s used. Given the cost of the receivers and the money back when I sold them vs, the money not spent on leasing, it was about a wash. Your motivation for buying used might be different, however. Anyway, I am back to leasing, at least for now.

5. May 8, 2012 #5 of 10
    Wire Nut

Wire Nut Legend

Apr 6, 2012
    Flex activation fee- It looks like rosterha already has an account so in this case it would not be an issue.

6. May 8, 2012 #6 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thanks for the follow-up... I am not familiar with the flex-accounts. That's pretty steep especially for someone to have to pay after they buy a receiver. There would be zero reason to buy your own receiver for a flex-account if that's the case.

7. May 8, 2012 #7 of 10
    MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 6, 2011
    For new accounts:

With a FlexTV account, there would be an activation fee, and an upfront fee to get a receiver from us. We would also schedule an install for you.

For Activation Only, you purchase and install everything on your own. No activation fee on this, just the payment for your first month of service.

For existing accounts, if you plan on purchasing a receiver, be sure to have the Receiver number checked (R00) before you buy it. If the receiver you buy is leased, or on an account that has a balance, we would not be able to transfer it.

If the receiver is eligible, we can simply activate it for you. We can also schedule it to be installed for you if needed.

8. May 8, 2012 #8 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thanks for the info, Matt... That sounds a lot more reasonable to me.

9. Ernie333

Ernie333 New Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Western USA
    Matt wrote: "For Activation Only, you purchase and install everything on your own. No activation fee on this, just the payment for your first month of service."

I have a previously activated, now de-activate 722k. Can I get dish to activate it now with only first month's fee?

Thank you,
    Ernie

10. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=12pt]Ernie,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Will this be on an existing account or did you want to build a new account? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If we will be restarting an old account, we can add the 722k you have and the programming you want to get your services back.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Thanks[/SIZE]