1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DATA COLLECTION: If your Daily Schedule is stuck, showing no future timers, RESPOND!

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Mark Lamutt, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    For those of you experiencing the problem with the Daily Schedule being stuck in the past, and not showing any future (today and beyond) timers in the list, please answer the following questions for me in as much detail as you can:

1. In this state, can you rewind and skip back in the live TV buffer?

2. In this state, can you view program information from the DVR events screen (pressing INFO button, and selecting DVR event - do you set program information displayed)?

3. Search for something that you know will be found multiple times. Is the search successful?

4. Can you define a successful DishPass rule for an event that you know will be on multiple times? Does it define all of the timers that you expect to see defined?

5. Can you successfully create an "All" epsidoes timer or a "New" epsiodes timer, and do see the correct number of timers that you expect to see defined?

Once you answer these questions for me, here is the suggestion for temporary workaround from the Dish Engineers:

Run a checkswitch. Once the checkswitch is done, cancel back to live mode, go through the acquiring satellite signal box, and do through the EPG data download process. Once the EPG data is downloaded, this should rebuild the Daily Schedule timer list into the future. If you have a lot of timers, this make take a little while to do, so give it a few minutes. Then check your Daily Schedule to see if it's been rebuilt.

If not, delete all of your timers, reboot by pulling the power cord. After the reboot, go through the checkswitch process above, then start adding back your timers one by one. Are you able to add them back at this point?

Please report back.

2. Pat A

Pat A Mentor

May 29, 2002
    Well Mark, so far it looks like my unit is the only problem child....

1) Pause, rewind and skip back all work in the current program buffer (it did lock-up on me one time last week when skipping back in a HD program, but has been working since then).
    2) INFO button works from the dvr events screen.
    3) Search does not function. Search results window is blank with "error" in the upper left corner.
    4) Dishpass rule results in no defined events for episodes known to be in the guide.
    5) "All" or "New" episode timers only result in a timer being set for the highlighted episode in the guide. No future events are scheduled for future episodes known to be in the guide.

I have run three separate checkswitch tests this afternoon, following the procedures detailed above. It is still not working.

3. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I just don't think there are that many 942s out in circulation yet......

4. Pat A

Pat A Mentor

May 29, 2002
    I got a call from the Dish tech folks this morning. They suggested selecting "protected" in the options screen when programing a all or new episode recording. I tried this and it seems to be working. It is now scheduling timers into to future, and the basic search function is working again. Mark, thanks for passing my issue to the tech group. Hopefully they can get this picked up in the next software revision.

5. May 2, 2005 #5 of 43
    Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson ViP622/ViP722 Guy DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 16, 2005
    Well, as Pat suggested, my "Search" problem posted here appears to be the same issue Pat has had.

In answer to your questions, my answers are the same as Pat's:
    1) Pause, rewind and skip back all work in the current program buffer.
    2) INFO button works from the dvr events screen.
    3) Search does not function. Search results window is blank with "error" in the upper left corner.
    4) Dishpass rule results in no defined events for episodes known to be in the guide.
    5) "All" or "New" episode timers only result in a timer being set for the highlighted episode in the guide. No future events are scheduled for future episodes known to be in the guide.

I have tried Pat's suggestion about "protecting" the events, but that isn't working for me. Most of my timers were already "protected" before I encountered this problem.

6. May 5, 2005 #6 of 43
    oldred

oldred Cool Member

May 5, 2005
    I don't think you are the only one with this problem.I am new to Direct TV and the 942.I just had it installed on May 1st. I lost my ability to search three days after I got it . I had it freeze ....just the top menu bar on the screen ...had to unplug it to get it to reset. I called Dish and went through all the STUFF and still nothing. I got the ...We will have someone else contact you in 24 to 48 hours ...So we will see what happens

7. May 5, 2005 #7 of 43
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    We're working on it. I'm going through this right now with my test unit, and we're making progress because of it.

8. May 5, 2005 #8 of 43
    Buckett

Buckett Cool Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Mark,

This has happened to me twice in the past 48 hrs. Just reporting in. Also posted this in the 942 bug tracking thread.

9. May 8, 2005 #9 of 43
    viper0440

viper0440 New Member

May 8, 2005
    My 942 (L224) just started having the daily schedule problem.

1. The live TV buffer works fine.
    2. Info button in DVR Events screen works.
    3. Search for multiple items works fine.
    4. DishPass for a new event defines multiple times on multiple channels fine. However, on deletion of this timer the daily schedule still lists the deleted timer.
    5. "All" Timer for a new event works fine, but deletion of this timer from the Timers List doesn't delete the items from the daily schedule.
    "New" timer for a new event works correctly, skipping the old episodes and only setting the new episodes to record, but it put two items in the daily schedule for the one specific event I used to create this timer. Deletion of this timer from the Timers List doesn't delete the items from the daily schedule.

Hope this data helps get a new software version out soon!

I tried the temporary workaround but because of some issues that i'm guessing are related to having legacy LNB's i'm not able to get my 942 to acquire at the moment.

A question about the LNB's: I have legacy LNB's (Dish 500 twin 119 & 110, and dish 500 single 148) hooked up to SW21 switches that are then hooked up to the 2 satellite inputs on the 942. The acquiring and check switch screens take a very long time and appear every day or two, even though they result in very good signal strength in the point dish screen. Would it help this acquiring time if I got new dish pro or dish pro plus equipment (lnb's and/or switches)?

10. Justin

Justin Cool Member

May 15, 2005
    I just posted a bug to the bug list about something that sounds similar to this. The only way I was able to get everything back was to delete/recreate all of my timers. The problem seemed to start when I deleted my #1 priority dish pass of 'stargate'. Please see my post on the buglist for more info.

11. Thinman

Thinman New Member

May 16, 2005
    My 3 day old 942 started doing this today. Cannot create a new Dish Pass, error when using search, and previously established Dish Passes have stopped looking into the future. Only had Dish for 3 days. Any help would be appreciated.

12. Mike Johnson

Jan 16, 2005
    Welcome, Thinman! :hi:
    I have suffered form this problem twice so far. See the bug report thread here.

There are some ideas there on what to try to fix it. Some have said that going into the timer schedule and toggle the protection status on each event. If it is protected, unprotect it. If it is not protected, then protect it. Then do a check switch to force a guide download. This has never worked for me.

What did work for me is to go into MENU-8-5 and change the update time to occur in the next few minutes to force an update. Do this THREE times. After the third update, my 942 is back to normal.

Please try some of these ideas and report back on what works. And again, Welcome to DBSTalk!

13. Thinman

Thinman New Member

May 16, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome. When I try the 8-5 suggestion, should the receiver be off or does it matter? Also, should I not be recording anything?

14. Mike Johnson

Jan 16, 2005
    It doesn't matter if it's on or not, but it would be best if there are no records active. I just left mine on and watched the update.

15. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Welcome, Thinman. You don't want to have anything recording when you do the guide updates. And, please report back whether doing the guide update 3 consecutive times works for you.

16. Thinman

Thinman New Member

May 16, 2005
    Thanks for the input. Will try when I get home from work and report success or failure...success I hope !!

17. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Of course, there's a new software update downloading today as well, which may or may not play into this as well.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not getting reports from other sources as well about the validity of setting the update to happen 3 times in a row as a temporary fix.

18. Thinman

Thinman New Member

May 16, 2005
    After performing the 8-5 trick 3 times, everything is back to normal. Hooray !!! Unfortunately. I don't know if the trick worked because in the process, software L225 downloaded. Seems to be working fine now. I'll let ya know. :) :)

19. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The 8-5 Trick worked for me also. Only for new timers. The Daily schedule was blank after running the work around. However, new timers worked fine. No duplicates.

20. Thinman

Thinman New Member

May 16, 2005
    It's been 3 days since I did the 8-5 trick and everything is still OK.