1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DATA COLLECTION: Post-L225 Legacy Switch/LNB Issues

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Mark Lamutt, May 19, 2005.

1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm getting several reports of users with legacy switches or LNBs still having problems with the 942.

If you fall into this category, please describe in detail your configuration, and exactly the problem that you're seeing, how often you get hit with the problem, etc.

Thanks!

2. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    In the two days since getting 2.25, both days I've found my 942 sitting at the "Acquiring satellite signal 0 of 5" in the morning. Performing a check switch always resolves the problem, but it is time consuming and annoying to do this each day.

My setup is a Dish 500 with a legacy twin, both outputs cascaded to a pair of SW21s, the other inputs of the SW21s are connected to a legacy dual LNB connected to a Dish 300 pointed at 61.5. On the check switch screen, the orbital slots come up in this order: 1: 119 2: 110 3: 61.5 and 1: 119 2: 110 3: 61.5

3. gevange

gevange Mentor

Apr 3, 2005
    Last night I got the "Acquiring satellite signal " then froze at o of 5. Powerwed off then on and went to program download. I have a dish 500 into a sw64. George

4. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I received word today that the problem has been identified, and the fix for what was still wrong with the legacy side is in the works (actually, it's a bug with the signal acquisition). It probably won't make it into the next version, as the next version is close, but it will make it into the one after that.

5. gevange

gevange Mentor

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks for the info. George

6. vahighland

vahighland Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2005
    Mark, I have all Dish Pro Plus equipment, but I’m running into the same switch/acquiring satellite problems as people with legacy equipment. Are you saying that the upcoming fix will only address legacy equipment? If so, any word on the fix for Dish Pro Plus equipment?

7. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    No, it will also fix the long wait time at the signal acquisition page for dishpro equipment as well.

8. jenniemhall

jenniemhall New Member

May 28, 2005
    I have a similar problem, though it is not exactly the same. DP34. Port 1 - 110 Twin, Port 2 - 119 Twin, Port 3 - 61.5 Dual. I have a 942 and two 501s. Nightly it tells me I need to do a check switch on the 942 and one of the 501s. The check switch works fine on the 942, but the 501 only sees the 119 sat. If I leave things like this with one of the 501s only seeing the 119 sat then the 942 does not run into the check switch problem the following morning. When at the switch I swap the cables for the 501s, then do a check switch on all 3 receivers, everything works on all 3 receivers until the following morning. Then the other 501 only sees the 119 sat and the 942 needs to do the check switch. A tech is scheduled to come out on Tuesday, but I figured I ask for suggestions.

9. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    I have the problem every day. It seems to happen mid morning as I can check it in the early am and it is fine, and then check it around noon and it is in the acquiring satellite state. Again, every day without fail, and a check switch is the only thing that cures it. I have signal in the 90s while this is happening.

I have a DPP Twin on a Dish 500, with a DP Dual feeding it from 61.5. Single coax to the 942 with a separator. 942 is my only receiver.

Seems to have coincided with L225, but I only had the unit for a few days before 225 was distributed. One thing I have noticed is that when in the point dish screen when in this state, the signal bar on the bottom of the screen will be bouncing between red and green and is indicating it is trying to get a "name lock" or some such thing, and is not indicating it has acquired a lock on the satellite. Again, a check switch corrects this.

As many others will attest, it is becoming wearisome to do this every day. Hope it can be fixed soon.

Doug

10. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I *think* (have been a bit out of the loop for the last week) that new sofware may come this week.

11. RBenson

RBenson AllStar

Jan 24, 2003

Are we getting any closer to 227 yet? I am getting very tired of doing a check switch every time I come home from work and missing timers because of this.
    REB

12. vahighland

Mar 29, 2005
    I'm not sure that L227 will fix this problem, we may have to wait for L228. I'm running into the same problem as you. I called in a couple of weeks ago and spoke with a CSR who took my information down and filed what he called an "uncommon trend report." Two days ago an engineer called me back to collect more information. He stated that they are aware of the problem, but still trying to track this one down. He was fairly certain that the fix would not be implemented in L227.

The engineer stated that any other users who are experiencing similar problems with the Dish 942 software and who also have DPP Twin equipment should report the problem. The more information they collect, the better the chance that this problem will be solved.

13. BillM

BillM Mentor

Apr 27, 2005
    I just reached "advanced technical support", who told me that this problem is "high priority" and that they are working on it. In the meantime, they continue to reccomend that you turn off automatic updates of the guide, which means you only have to do the power cycle/switch check/guide load once a week or so. This has certainly made a difference for me...

14. RBenson

RBenson AllStar

Jan 24, 2003

Thanks Bill, I turned off the automatic updates and you're right, it will be much easier to manually update maybe once a week. Hopefully the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks again for the tip..

REB :)

15. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    Same here. Has anyone who had this problem seen it go away if their 942 was replaced?

Thanks,

Doug

16. vahighland

Mar 29, 2005
    I think I figured out what the acquiring satellite signal/check switch problem is with my DPP Twin. Actually, there are two problems...

The first problem is that one of the coax barrel connectors was not a high frequency connector, which I believe the DishPro Plus equipment requires. The coax cable from the DPP Twin is fed through my basement and up the living room wall to a wall plate that contains coax barrel connectors. These connectors are not high-frequency, although they were used with my DirecTiVo standard-definition system and have worked fine for years. I replaced the barrel connector with a high-frequency connector.

The second problem is that the cable run between the 61.5 dish and the DPP Twin LNB is approximately 120', which is lot more than the maximum limitation of 80’. My equipment includes a 61.5 dish hooked into a DPP Twin LNB at the 110/119 dish location. I have lots of trees in my yard, so the two dishes needed to be separated by a long cable run in order to get a signal on all satellites. The 61.5 dish is on the roof and 110/119 dish is located in the back yard. For now, I simply disconnected the 61.5 dish.

I’m still testing, but so far I’ve rebooted over ten times and the system has acquired the signal every time without a check switch. Also, I have not received the random acquiring satellite signal messages while watching TV. Of course, I’m running VOOMless for right now, but that’s a small price to pay for stability. After I test for a few days, I’ll look into solutions for hooking up the 61.5 dish. I think I can use a DP44 switch in conjunction with the DPP Twin.

17. deweybrunner

deweybrunner Legend

Feb 8, 2004
    How can you tell a high frequency connector from the others? /This is the first I've heard of this connector.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    The 2ghz+ connectors that I've seen are about an inch long, silver in barrell color and have blue inserts in the middle. They are quite a bit larger than the normal barrell connectors.

19. deweybrunner

deweybrunner Legend

Feb 8, 2004
    Mark, I got all my fittings fron radio shack and am sure they are not what you describe. should I find the right kind and change out?

20. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    If you're having problems, it might not be a bad idea...