1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Date With Google

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Nick, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I'm testing this now and I think it's going to be very useful, not only for my personal calendar, but also for a shared calendar for family events, team activities, appointments and as reminders like those pesky little events like birthdays, anniversaries and such.

Now, if I can just teach it to import the ATL Braves season tv schedule! :p

http://www.google.com/calendar

2. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    WARNING-

Everyone needs to be aware of the ultimate plan that Google has in mind for everyone on the planet WRT computer technology:

Background from a personal perspective-
    There was a time when everyone had to write their own software to do anything on a computer. Back in those days, early 70's we used terminals connected by phone lines to major mainframes. I was an engineering student at the time and connected to Dartmouth mainframe but everything I did had to be programmed in Fortran.
    Several years later I was able to purchase my own computer, a Radio Shack Model 1 that worked most of the time but I was still writing my own software in BASIC and Assembler. Still not very easy.
    10 years passes and I had graduated to a "Clone PC" Now we had purchased software but it was still very fundamental and applications had to be developed. I recall writing an application in Visicalc the first major spreadsheet program that tracked my production formulas and kept track of my inventory and pricing. I also had software to track payroll and raw material sources and prices called dBase. I had a word processorcalled Word Perfect. Still these never talked to each other and if only I had...
    Well my wishes were answered with SMART which was a proprietary Structured Query language that had four modules, Word Processor, spreadsheet, data base, and communications link library. WOW, now I had it! I spent a month writing code after learning this new SQL language and wrote a small chemical business operating system that, literally performed miracles. This had order entry, production scheduler for batch process, inventory control, inventory reorder request. Packaging materials inventory and reorder, pricing, cost analysis, and invoicing plus accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger. Research by our comptroller discovered that at the time there was no other application out that did what my software with over 30,000 lines of code did. It was mostly done in 30 days of long hours but took another 6 months to fix bugs and add the small extras for accounting and batch sizing stuff. That was the last major code writing project I ever did because the PC world with Windows applications was really taking off. What was really lacking was the ability to communicate.
    In the early 90's I began to experiment with bulletin boards, then the internet with text base message boards, later e-mail and then the WWW with internet web pages. Although I didn't write the code, I did the graphics for the very first web page sourced from Jacksonville FL. Interestingly it was a web site to sell adult videos! By this time I was out of the Chemical business and switched to a new career in computer graphics and 3D animation which was short lived as I soon found it was not really my thing and moved into Video production. But during this time Windows and Microsoft plus a number of other companies had fully matured the concept of selling applications to run on personal computers. Soon Microsoft and others developed the concept of software updates and initial sales and installation of software via high speed internet connections. They developed spy software that could peek inside your personal data and determine if you has stolen software and were able to inform automatically to the proper authorities your theft. Essentially, if you were connected there was nothing private about what you did, maybe just that you didn't know about all the spying but you were PUBLIC!
    Along comes Google with a new idea for the 21st century. An idea that will put Microsoft's hard copy approach out of business. Google plans to ultimately control your every move with what you do on a day to day basis. They will be able to track you where ever you go, have records that will keep inventory on everything you own and be able to supply this to anyone including law enforcement and the government. While Bill Gates had the vision 2 decades ago of "Information at your fingertips" Google has a bigger vision. "Your life on file for all to know about"

So, will it all happen? Only if you and I all agree this is what we want and buy into it. Nick, your calendar use from Google is just another small step in their plan. John Dvorak and other technology pundits are all saying that Google will develop a software application business model that will be online totally and your computer will work more like those dumb terminals of the early 1970's we had connected to the Dartmouth Mainframe, but with 21st century enhancements. Say you want to type a letter but have never used your computer to do that You would go online and go to Google word processor and type the letter. It would store in Google's storage and you get a printout but everything you request would add a few cents of billing to your credit card account, eventually being deducted from your checking account immediately. Every access, every query on the web, every e-mail or should I say G-Mail, would have a charge. Then if you require your stuff to be archived, you would only be able to do that by paying an archive fee for storage so much per month.
    The way they plan to convert the hard software PC mindset to a totally on line terminal approach with Google at the central control is to slowly convert people from buying a software license (Microsoft business model) to using the same stuff online for free, now and then force you all to start paying little by little to access your data and your life. It is the Candyman sales tactic used by most drug pushers for the past 50 years. Retail called it "Loss Leader" It works and Nick, you smile about it now but you are exactly what Google is hoping for so they can execute their ultimate conversion of world society and become the new world power a google times more powerful than Microsoft and Apple combined.

If you haven't already heard this from the big boys, then you heard it here. Be for-warned. Google plans world domination.

3. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks for the warning, Don. Usually, I'm the one who is paranoid, but you have taken paranoia to a new level.

At this stage of life, if the spooks are interested in my schedule, then we all have a lot about which to worry. I'll take your concerns to heart, though, and will not post any of my secret plans on the calendar. :grin:

4. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    It's about exposing their business plan and then defining what that plan will do and how it will change the way we do things. Paranoia is when you believe someone is out to get you. All I'm saying is that the Google plan will allow them to sell, or make available everything you have given them. With Candyman stuff, people will give them their lives without a clue as to what it will do. Sort of like when people first got always on internet connections and then connected with full sharing active, no firewalls and were surprised when their neighbors could dig into their checkbook and know everything about their check book activity, and more. Ignorance is part of it and stupidity is another. Paranoia, not by my definition, Nick.

5. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    And if anyone thinks the spooks can't already access our Internet-connected personal computers, they're living in a dream world...

6. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    Sounds like a good time to stock up on Google...:lol:

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    While I wouldn't go as far as Don, I avoid Google at all costs. If it was any other company doing I would probably think it was the coolest thing around. Not so much paranoid, I just really, really, hate that company. It seems they take ideas that have been around for years, put their own spin on it (or just buy it out) and now it's the best thing around. Yahoo has been my home since December 26 1995 and that's not going to change. That combined with their involvement in Current TV, I want nothing to do with any of their hype.

8. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    CBS News.com:

April 14, 2006
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google, the company whose name has become a verb for searching the Internet has once again expanded its franchise by adding yet another service. Along with its mapping feature and its Gmail email service, Google has now added a free calendar function that is arguably easier to use and more powerful than competitive calendars from Yahoo, Microsoft and AOL.

The "beta" test service, which is now available at google.com/calendar, is both a personal productivity tool and a social networking tool because it allows you to maintain your own schedule as well as events for groups of people.

If you already have a Google or Gmail account, you can sign in and get started immediately. If you don't, you need to establish a free Google account, which takes just a few minutes. Then you can return to the calendar page and start scheduling events.

If you already maintain a calendar in Microsoft Outlook, Yahoo Calendar or Apple iCal, you can import events from those sources. So far this is a one-way import. The service is not yet set up to do a two-way synchronization between itself and other programs or handheld devices but stay tuned. Google plans to make it relatively easy for others to add functionality to the calendar.

The first thing I noticed about the calendar is its simple interface. Like most PC and web-based calendars, you see a month by month calendar along with a grid with days of the week and times. Click on a time and a box pops up where you can type in an event to be scheduled for that time slot. ...

More @ CBSNews.com

9. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    The important question is this.... Has Google set you up with any dates yet and if so, how was she? :D

10. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    While I googled, she giggled. :lol:

11. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I love it when they giggle. :lol:

12. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If it doesn't sinc with my PDA, its of no use to me. I'll stick with Outlook.

13. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I use the PDA calendar too, Bogy. It does everything I want and as you probably have used but unknown to others, one feature I like is the attendees list. If I go in and change something on the appointment, it sends an e-mail to them automatically alerting them to the change. What would Google do better? Not sure I even care.

But for Calendar programmers here's a suggestion- When I book a flight on line, it would be nice if that info was automatically added to my calendar. I do find it a PIA having to manually enter the flt number and times etc I have RoundTrip 7 flights in the next 2 weeks and that is a bunch of entry in my PDA. Maybe I better get the active sync better implemented.