1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Hester fired from Storage Wars, claims fraud

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dpeters11, Dec 11, 2012.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    I suspect Dave Hester will come out on top. Is there any part of his complaint that comes as a surprise to anyone that has watched more than a few episodes? I remember an episode where a production tag was clearly visible when the locker was supposedly opened for the first time (it was gone in the next camera shot).

I still watch and enjoy the show for it's entertainment value - after all, isn't most TV just fiction?

...of course this whole firing Dave Hester and his lawsuit against the show could very well be more about publicity than anything else.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Of course it's faked. All of these shows are (in one way or another) which is why I don't watch them.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    +1......It amazes me how many people think these types of shows are real.

5. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Deleted.Posted in error.

6. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    I am guessing this all relates to Hester's salary issues with A&E from last year. Now he has to tell all the kiddies that there is no Santa Claus. At least his persona is not faked.

7. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I'll second that.. My dad is a reality show junky and it disappoints me how such an intelligent man can believe any of them are real. At least I have comfort in knowing that he does know a show like "Hardcore Pawn" is fake..

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I've even seen discussions that Antiques Roadshow is 'salted'.

Funny how Barnum is still right:

"There's a sucker born every minute"

(Although there's some question if he ever said it or not)

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'd seen before that it was faked, along with American Pickers, Pawn Stars etc.

American Restoration? Not sure about this one. Maybe pre negotiating the price etc, but the part I like, them actually restoring the item is real. Just wish they showed that more, not the stuff between the crew.

I think Deadliest Catch and Flying Wild Alaska (when it was on) was at least mainly real, other than hamming for the camera and such.

I don't think Roadshow is salted. Look at what happened to the watermelon sword people. There were a lot of people that showed up for them when they came here. No way they didn't get a lot of interesting items legitimately.

10. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    And it was W. C. Fields who said "Never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump".

11. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I like watching the show and I do believe a small portion is real, but for ever locker to have something totally awesome? Nah. Of course it's fake. Heck, I bet their contracts even tell them as much meaning that its unlikely Dave is going to win this. They are actors in a reality show. What's on air simply isn't what happens in real life. Without the help of the producers the show wood be boring and off air and the part implants know this. Yuuuuup!!!

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    They're all faked one way or another, even if it's just scripting and editing. What you see is not how the scene really played out.

Even one of the most 'real' out there, The First 48, is heavily edited. And I don't mean just for time. You can tell they edit for drama, sound effects added and in many cases speak direct to the camera. You even see it sometimes on COPS and some of the others.

I guess 'fake' is sort of a generic term, but when COPS first aired, there was very little altered.

Today's 'reality' shows are just plain fake through and through. Paid actors is about it as far as describing the participants. Survivor, Bachelor, Great Race; ALL of them are faked to some extent.

Maybe the location. And I'm not sure some of those aren't sets.

What I don't get is why some of these shows aren't treated as the game shows they are and subject to the same rules and regulations as game shows.

13. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    Maybe I'm naive but why would anyone care if it were real or not?

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Truth in advertising. I'm fine with scripted shows. But if they're scripted, present them as such, don't present them as 'reality'.

15. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    Moonshiners is also fake how dumb can the law be to catch those idoits all u have to do is to find out where there camera crew stays at and simply follow them to the moonshine stills LOL......

16. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    It came out nearly twenty years ago that the original MTV reality show, Real World, was scripted. I can't believe that this is news and certainly not worthy of a lawsuit.

But then, if you are making stars of low life trailer trash...

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Or when low-life trailer trash is running the shows ....

18. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    i'm surprised that hester would think the show is real.

19. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Santa Claus is not real.:(

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    News coming out of a lawsuit over Pawn Stars and their talent agents. If it's 'real', why do they need talent agents?