1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DBSTalk: Attack Page warning

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by AntAltMike, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I had let my trial of Norton Security Utility lapse, and this morning, when I tried to access DBSTalk through Mozilla Firefox, it displayed this in a box:

The web page at www.dbstalk has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Atack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge of or permission of their owners.

(buttons)

get me out of here! Why was this page blocked?

________________________________________________ Ignore this warning

I can readily access DBSTalk through AOL or Internet Explorer.

I didn't click anything on the message because I was concerned that if it was a virus, clicking it could further empower it.

I cannot copy text from that notice, and when I right-click it as an image, and select "view source", I get the same image, rather than text.

Selecting, "View page info" gets me a Page info window with the subcategorries General, Media, and Security.

Within one of those categories, I am shown this address; chrome://global/skin/icons/blacklist_favicon.png, but when I tried to access it, I got a notice that that page could not be found.

I renewed my subscription to Norton and had it do its maximum scan. It found 186 risks early in the scan and dealt with all of them, and then continued through over 180,000 checks before giving my system a clean bill of health. But I still can't access DBSTalk through Firefox. I keep getting the same warning each time I try, even though I have restarted the computer. One other thing, even though Norton has allegedly been restored or renewed, I no longer see the little Norton reassurance tag popping in and out of the lower righthand corner of my screen as I access each new site.

Is this a virus, and if so, why doesn't Norton detect and address it?

FWIW, it is possible that when I first registered for my free trial with Norton, that it was with the laptop I bought two months ago and then traded in when I upgraded to this one to get a little larger screen.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    We believe this may have been a "false positive" ad we are looking into it. Thanks to all who reported it.

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Should we combine the threads?

4. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    yep i am getting the same message as it is full of mallware

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    join treads please

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Fine with me. I think my opening post to this thread should be moved there, since it is comprehensive, but the successive posts basically duplicate that which is already found in that earlier thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.