1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DBSTalk.com First Look: DIRECTV2PC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    [​IMG]

DBSTalk.com, in cooperation with DIRECTV, is proud to provide our readers an exclusive first look at DIRECTV2PC, the innovative software solution to allow for multiroom viewing over a PC!

Thanks to Doug Brott, dettxw and Grentz for authoring this First Look!

DIRECTV2PC First Look

Note: This software has a fairly high requirement for the PC, and you must be using version 0x0290 or later on your host DVR.

2. Mindhaz

Mindhaz AllStar

Sep 25, 2006
    I guess this would be great if my 2 year old antique of a computer would run it. My 3.0 ghz Pentium D Dell XPS 400 doesn't meed the product specs. As a result, it is refusing to run.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I've been testing with a 3 GHz PentiumD and it's been working fine.
    What is the "problem/error"?
    here is a thread about running this on old computers: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=131230

4. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    unless you have a beefy computer, i highly recommend checking out the link that VOS posted above
    BTW, nice first look!!!

5. VegasDen

VegasDen Legend

Jul 12, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have to laugh in the Advisor is telling me to change my video card driver back to one at least 6 to 8 months old. I have an ATI 4870 with the latest ATI driver released. I'll wait for the download (at these speeds it may be tomorrow :) ) and see whether having the "latest" is a true detriment.

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    Nice First Looks! :)

Good work guys.

Mike

7. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    You guys have taken the "First Look" to a whole new level. Nice work!

8. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Wow! This first look, looks great!! Awesome job guys!

9. putty469

putty469 Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Thanks for the preview! I might be scorched in comments, but this is a good effort at converging personal computers and premium quality HD content. The validation program and setup looks straightforward for someone who may not be an A/V expert.

10. belogical

belogical Legend

Nov 14, 2006
    this looks incredible, and I don't know about you all, but i will be watching poker tonight on the can!

11. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    To each his own...

Whatever turns you on...:lol:

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I like the new first look PDF style, very nice looking!

I hope people enjoy Directv2PC and will be interested to see the feedback on it. I think it is very cool and a very unique application that I have not seen from any other TV providers out there!

13. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Grentz, it is we who should thank you for your great writing and excellent testing.

14. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    awesome job on the first look guys thank you!

15. TedBarrett

TedBarrett Godfather

Oct 10, 2007
    I can't find "appendix a" in the first look pdf?

16. dklippi

dklippi Cool Member

May 12, 2007
    I wonder if the writing is on the wall for the HDPC-20.

17. tfederov

tfederov DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Awesome job, team. :up: I really like the new look!

18. DBSooner

DBSooner Legend

Sep 23, 2008
    Directv2pc works great! Thank you very much D*!

19. Toyo

Toyo AllStar

Nov 19, 2007
    I dont understand what is so great about being able to watch a Tv program on your PC, when you could just watch it on your TV. If you were able to get it on your PC away from your house that would be different.

You can buy a new Plasma or LCD TV these days plus get another reciever setup for less money than a PC that plays 1080P. Dont think that I am against technology. I love it. Its just I dont really see the big benefit. I have a Panasonic Tough Book CF-30 that I would love to watch some of my shows on while I am out in the real world working. Could you imagine being in a remote place in the world and being able to watch your programs from your STB? That would be cool.

20. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Legend

Aug 12, 2007
    directv should just turn this box into a DBA vista certified tuner, and dev. a plugin for VMC + only, just to be nice and show it can be done. Imagine that You wouldnt need the fabled HDPC box.

Basically a controlled enviorment HDHomerun. that does Sat and OTA.

Surely this is possible.

Shared local drive storage on the DVR and PC would be welcomed.

One can dream.