1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DBSTalk First Look: DIRECTV Voice Control

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Scott Kocourek, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    DBSTalk is very pleased to show you the newest feature from DIRECTV for you Genie or HDDVR.

Please note that some DBSTalk.com testers and staff members may have received free equipment from DIRECTV or its partners for the purpose of evaluation and testing.

2 people like this.
  2. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    PLEASE NOTE: THIS FEATURE WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR SEVERAL MONTHS.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Scott, as always I am amazed by the quality of your work. Well done sir!

4. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks Stuart, very kind of you. I had a great teacher. :lol:

The first show title on the last page makes me smile. :)

5. CopyCat

CopyCat DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 21, 2008
    South Carolina
    If they need any testers, I'm here with 2 iPhones and 2 iPads. I have always said my phone or pad work better than the remotes.

6. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Scott, thanks for this link--outstanding work there. (if you want to move my thread to the "trash" you are more than welcomed to). I noticed their just happend to be an online learning about this for the csrs this morning and it is more alligned with what you have. The initial reports were claiming it was being entirely designed in partnership with Veveo, but they went with D*'s new Digital Entertainment Products Group instead. I didn't see Veveo listed anywhere.

7. carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan Icon

May 18, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Outstanding first look, as always. :)

This certainly one-ups the Hopper/Joey, as far as features go. Guess it's safe to say that we can expect a full press on TV ads touting this feature just before NFL/College Football starts.

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Nice work Scott. I think this is going to be a great new feature for DIRECTV customers!

9. jford951

jford951 Godfather

Oct 6, 2008
    Looks like a great feature and since we several iPhones and iPads it will get used

10. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Also you with this, you will be able to record progrms to the HD DVR and select programs to stream on supported mobile devices.

Great competitive advantage over what Dish offers. One leg up!

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Great job as usual Scott!

12. CincySaint

CincySaint AllStar

Jan 16, 2008
    The example seem to show it but it's not stated in the First Look...

Will the voice search allow us to change channels via voice control or just initiate search?

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's one of the features listed under "Voice Help" in the F.L. document.

Anyhow, very good F.L. Scott,

But do wish Android would get priority or at least equality with iOS for a change.

Wishful thinking I know ....

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Or work on jailbroken devices either.

15. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    It works well....even when I try my Wisconsin \ Minnesota "yah der" dialect or if I go completely west coast, it has been able to identify 100% of the items I have tested. I have a gal that works for me where English is a second language (she has a distinct accent) and it failed to recognize her request just one time out of 10 searches. Pretty impressive.

3 people like this.
  16. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Nice job, Scott. :)

17. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Yes it is an agreement with Apple as Apple is requiring this with several apps out there to help discourage jailbreaking of devices. Apple has a history of dictating elements of their products this being one of them. Also some info here and thanks to peds48 for this link http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/23/directv-adding-voice-search-to-its-ios-and-android-phone-apps-b/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget

18. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Certainly not wishing to sidetrack the topic here on this issue, but I don't really understand the need for Jailbreaking these days anyway what with Verizon and T-moblie now well on board offering the iPhone.

The iPhone pretty much covers all the major cell phone carriers today doesn't it?

19. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    It does, but that is not the main reason why people jailbreak today. If you are interested in knowing more PM me if not thats cool too lol.

20. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Wow this is out of left field. Didn't see this one coming!

I always wanted a better way to search. Triple tap stinks. I envisioned a QWERTY keyboard on iPhone/iPad that sent the search string as you typed it on the mobile device. Or an additional RF4CE remote that had a slider QWERTY keyboard on it. I'd still love to see that option, but voice search - if accurate will be a HUGE time saver.

As for the jailbreak thing, yeah that stinks. The app should still run but just grey out live or on demand streaming. Anyway there is a tweak out there that hides jailbreak detection from most apps. Until the day Apple puts jailbreak detection in their bootloader and prevents the entire device from BOOTING if detected jailbreak... then they are really not as serious about it as they could be if it was that big of a problem for them.