1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DBSTalk News Exclusive - WINK Coming to Dish Network

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Scott Greczkowski, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 4, 2003 #1 of 41
    Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Dish Network customers, your Interactive Television may soon become even more interactive. DBSTalk.COM has learned that Dish Network is laying the groundwork to upgrade their OpenTV receivers to support WINK Technology!

However this news should come as no surprise as this news was announced in June of 2000 that “OpenTV, Wink Partner to Offer Wink Services on the OpenTV Platform Which Could Reach Up To 4 Million DISH Network Subscriber Homes by Summer 2003”

"Echostar is pleased to offer Wink's entertaining, revenue-generating, interactive services to our digital satellite TV customers," said Charlie Ergen, CEO and chairman of Echostar." This agreement enables us to offer Wink's enhanced TV content and e-commerce from America's leading networks and advertisers and to add interactive enhancements to our local advertising. By combining Wink's response services with the interactive platform from OpenTV, we can deliver the most robust array of television commerce services available today."

Wink technology is not new for satellite television, Wink has been in use for the past few years by Dish Network competitor DirecTV which currently offers many Wink Enhanced Television channels, including CNN, The Weather Channel, ESPN and special Wink Only Channels such as Barnes and Nobles Book Store, NFL Schedules, and Wink Enhanced Music Choice Services.

The addition of Wink Technology to Dish Networks OpenTV receivers opens up an exciting world of new features for Dish Network customers, soon users will be able to order CD’s or something from their favorite home shopping channels without leaving their seat. With Wink the possibilities are endless. And because Wink and OpenTV work together Dish Network customers will be able to experience the best of both worlds with OpenTV and Wink.

DBSTalk.COM has learned that Dish Network has been testing Wink technologies for the past few months on a special hidden channel only available to Echostar employees. (According to http://www.dishchannelchart.com those channels are Channels 9581 and 9582) Dish Network has recently sent new software to some of their OpenTV units in order to prepare for future Interactive technologies. It appears that the ground work to Wink is now being laid.

DBSTalk.COM has asked Echostar for a comment regarding the Wink upgrade, Echostar has declined to comment at this time.

It is safe to say that say that in the near future the way you watch TV will change again for the better, as not only will you be a watcher but you will also be able to participate. The world of Interactive Television is about to get a major boost from Dish Network with Wink.

You can see some screen shots of a few of the Wink Enhanced service at http://www.wink.com/contents/examples.shtml

Copyright 2003 DBSTalk.COM – All Rights Reserved

2. Apr 4, 2003 #2 of 41
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Assuming it can be added to our existing receivers that can get open tv - this sounds great.

3. Apr 4, 2003 #3 of 41
    Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    What do you think the updates for the 501 and 3900 have been for lately. :)

Its going to be nice to see some real interactive TV on Dish. Wink is one of the things I miss from DirecTV.

4. Apr 4, 2003 #4 of 41
    James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I thought OpenTV is going out of business, or at least is getting delisted from NASDAQ. Hopefully this will help with revenue....

5. Apr 4, 2003 #5 of 41
    Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
  6. Apr 4, 2003 #6 of 41
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Oh geeze, some MORE (NOT thoroughly tested) beta software downloads to deal with from E* again... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

7. Apr 4, 2003 #7 of 41
    James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Well we'll see.... Restatement of earnings never helps your stock. Interactive TV companies just have not been able to figure out how to make money. Hopefully this will turn them around because I don't want to lose my WINK.

8. Apr 4, 2003 #8 of 41
    Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    James, tell us what you like about Wink, what do you use it for? Many people on Dish Network might not know too much about WINK or what it does.

9. Apr 4, 2003 #9 of 41
    James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Well I'll tell you. ;)

There are a couple of "Interactive Channels" such as Barnes & Noble, ESPN Today, Instant Weather, Music Choice and NBCi that are totally WINK only. This means that unless you have a wink receiver you can't see them. You get local weather, shop barnes and noble, shop NBCi as well as see sports scores... See Features HERE.

It also brings selective features to existing channels such as Bloomberg and E! that depend on what is on the TV. The is a [​IMG] that appears on the screen to tell you that you can see "enhanced" features. Some commercials also have this logo appear.

Its ok because its free, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Not all DirecTV receivers have them, but most do that have been made in the last year. The DirecTV FAQ on this "DirecTV Interactive" features can be found HERE. It will be interesting to see how Dish uses it.

I mostly use it because of the Weather Channel and ESPN stuff....

From what I've seen WINK is better than the OpenTV stuff that Dish currently has. But I'm sure its a personal preference since there are no games on WINK which people who use OpenTV seem to like.

10. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree with James as I have a Wink enabled receiver also...I use it mostly for ESPN and the Weather Channel too though I have made purchases thru the Barnes & Noble channel. Also the TBS College Football Game of The Week is interactive with up to date stats on whatever game they happen to be showing as far as other scores from around the NCAA.

11. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I only have one receiver with Wink on it, and it is in my daughter's room. She checks the Weather Channel (channel 492) every day to determine what to wear. Another thing is that some MusicChoice channels have the ability for you to order CD's and such directly off the receiver. I don't use this feature, as Best Buy is right down the street, but for someone in a remote area, it would give them the ability to order music pretty easily.

Like James says, it is good for free, but not worth and additional charge.

12. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    My 3900 reciever downloaded a software upgrade sometime yesterday and now I have a feature called TV Enhancements. I'm assuming that TV Enhancements is Wink??? I haven't seen the icon appear on any channels yet.

13. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    With 2 Dishplayers and a 721 installed now and a 921 set to replace the 721 whenever it is available this means........ nothing to me I'm guessing as none of these receivers have OpenTV.

14. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Oh god no.. Does this mean another case like when the Dishplayers CONSTANTLY had a banner coming up on the screen asking if we wanted to connect to 'enhanced features' via the net...

...hope to heaven you can turn that stuff OFF!

15. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    You can... Its not that big though... Its a small logo...

16. TerryC

TerryC Icon

Jul 18, 2002
    Why aren't DirecTivos WINK enabled?

17. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Most likely because they have TiVo software.....

18. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Kevin from what I hear the upgrade that the 3900 is getting is step one of getting WINK added. You won't see any Wink yet though.

19. TerryC

TerryC Icon

Jul 18, 2002
    Obviously, I'm not technically savvy, so please bear with me.

Dish will run WINK on OpenTV software. Why can't DirecTV run WINK on Tivo software?

20. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Maybe the agreement with TiVo doesn't allow that? :shrug: You are correct, it wouldn't be too hard, but I doubt they will do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.