1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deactivated receiver and Protection Plan

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mortimer, Mar 28, 2009.

1. mortimer

mortimer Legend

Nov 5, 2007
    So, I have a S1 DirecTivo with a dead hard drive that I deactivated from my account about 2 years ago. I now have a need for another receiver, and I have the protection plan. Will they replace this receiver under the PP as it is deactivated? Can I reactivate it even though it's dead, then call back and have it replaced? Will I need to wait a period of time between the two?

Or should I just try to replace the drive myself (I've done that sort of thing before with S2 DirecTivos)?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you value TiVo features and options, you're probably better off doing it yourself.

If they are feeling particularly charitable, DIRECTV will more than likely replace any TiVo with the "functionally equivalent" DIRECTV model. Either way they get another $4.99 out of you.

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    If they replaced it, it would likely be with a refurb R15/R16...

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I would connect it to your system and call in to activate it. When you talk to them, explain that you were calling to reactivate a receiver that you previously had on your account, but now it won't power up (or whatever is happening with it). Ask them if there's any chance it could be replaced under the PP.

BTW, you didn't happen to already get a replacement under the PP for this reciever, did you? Or were you specific when you deactivated it that you were doing so because it was dead? In either case, it may be a no-sale on a PP replacement.

All you can do is call them and find out what they can do for you.

5. celticpride

celticpride Icon

Sep 6, 2006
    Dont forget if you get another dvr they will commit you to another 2 year contract!!,they have done this twice to me even though i have the protection plan.

6. rabit ears

rabit ears Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Just to be sure that there is no bad information out there:
    Owned receivers replaced under the PP generate an owned replacement with no additional commitment.

Leased receivers replaced under the PP generate a leased replacement with no additional commitment.

The trick seems to be to insist (nicely, as hard as that may be) at the time that the replacement is scheduled and then again at the time that the replacement is activated.

I went through this just a few months ago and the CSR at activation insisted that the receiver would be leased and that my commitment would be extended. You need to be persistent, and stay cool. Do not play "CSR roulette" stick with the same person and escalate until you get confirmation on both counts.

7. adn

adn Mentor

Apr 25, 2008
    Utah
    exactly.

some CSRs just need to dig a little deeper in their info to give you the accurate info. getting frustrated isn't going to help the situation at all.