1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dead HR-23 700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jam99, Oct 22, 2012.

1. jam99

jam99 New Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Hi all.

Well low and behold after a decent 4 year run it seems that my HR23-700 receiver has died. I was watching a recorded show and it just shut itself off and won't power back on no matter what I try (RBR, different power cord, different power outlet etc.). It makes a faint clicking noise when plugged in but I unplugged it after reading about smoke coming from others. Pissed that I'm not going to be able to recover my recordings, as from what I read, I'm SOL.
    I will be calling in to get the leased receiver replaced ( I understand this will cost me $20 ) and I was curious as to what I should expect with the process?
    Will DirecTV be sending me a recovery kit for this model?
    What model should I expect back? I currently don't use the BBC's as my receiver doesn't need them. Will DirecTV know this when sending my replacement?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    From what I read, it is still a crap shoot as to which model you will get as a replacement,
    they will send you a recovery kit,
    they usually only send a receiver, no BBCs, no remote control.
    Good luck.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you don't have a SWM system, I'd make sure to mention the BBC's when you call.

4. bakers12

bakers12 ΔS > 0

May 29, 2007
    Chicago -...
    You usually send your current receiver back in the same box the new receiver arrived in. There's a pre-addressed shipping label enclosed.

Make sure you get a receipt when you drop off the old receiver (at the post office or wherever). DirecTV's return system has lost several receivers and you will be charged $100's if you can't prove you returned it.

5. jam99

jam99 New Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    Do I need to send back the remote? I don't use it as I have a harmony but I like having it just in case my harmony acts up.

6. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    No, they do not take used remotes back.

7. otaliema

otaliema AllStar

Aug 9, 2012
    Mid-west USA
    As Jimmie stated the replacment unit will be just that a replacement unit. No remote no BBC's. If BBC's are needed you already have them and you already have a remote no need to send replacements in most cases. As for the model you will get a HR21-HR23 model unit in all probability. All remanufactured HR2x have a 500 Gig drive so you wont lose space.

8. Struff

Struff AllStar

Dec 23, 2008
    Pardon my ignorance here but is that a recovery kit to grab recordings off the dead unit? My HR23-700 died today and I was wondering about getting recordings off of it. CSR told me I could use an external USB drive, but if the unit won't power up, that doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

9. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If it's dead -It's too late for that-The recovery Kit is a pre-paid box to ship the unit back to D* so your account will not be billed for the full price of the unit.

Usb port is for attaching AM21 to the unit only.

They will ship whatever unit is next on top of the refub's only way to get a Hr24 replacement is schedule a service appointment and likely the Tech will have a newer model on his truck.

10. Struff

Struff AllStar

Dec 23, 2008
    I knew they must have been wrong about that USB idea. So there isn't any way that I can take out this hard drive and put it into an external hard drive enclosure and access my stuff? Or even put it into an older receiver I have in my junk pile which work perfectly but were left behind when they used to do free upgrades every year?

I wound up scheduling a tech for Monday just because it seemed like the quicker option. The CSR kept telling me 3-5 business days but she couldn't tell me when it would ship or if I could pay for Saturday delivery. So I got a supervisor who also told me 3-5 days but that it would be shipping out of a distribution center about 30 miles from my house so I could get it sooner. But this was at 10pm last night (Thursday) so unless they were going to ship it out that late at night, or let me pay extra for the FedEx Saturday service, it would be at least Monday at the very earliest anyway. I got so annoyed with the lack of options so I scheduled the tech visit.

I know the location of the company that does the service calls around here (I usually have them come once a year to realign my dish after winds kick it around so I've talked with a lot of the guys over the past ten years) and I told the supervisor I would be willing to go there and pick up a new unit so he gave me an Activity Number to use when I call them. I am not holding my breath on that but I figure it's worth a phone call to the tech guys to see what they say. If not, Monday is still better than the 3-5 business days. :mad:

I gotta say though, that in my ten years as a customer, this is the only time I've been ticked off by them. They used to let me buy replacement units at Best Buy and credit my bill but they no longer do that. So there was never any problem in the past.

11. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    The recording attached to the Drive are Attached to the HR's Mother board (meaning) even if you take the drive out and put it in another box the recording will not work or be able to be viewed.

That is just the way it is, A service call will get you a newer unit rather than a say a Hr21 or whatever is next on the drop ship list.

12. Struff

Struff AllStar

Dec 23, 2008
    Oh wow. So even if I put it into another HR23-700, I am still out of luck? Ugh. I got too lazy with my DVD recorder over the past year or so, so there's a lot of stuff I am going to miss :(

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup, SOL. Recordings are tied to a specific DVR, so even if you had an external drive with recordings, you couldn't move that external drive to a different DVR.

- Merg