1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead HR20 - What to expect from DTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vachief, Aug 17, 2010.

1. vachief

vachief AllStar

Jul 17, 2007
    I had an HR20 die on me last night. It simply turned itself off while I was watching TV. Attempts to turn it back on just result in a clicking noise...no lights or anything else. So, I am guessing it is time to replace it. I do not have the protection plan. Am I best off just picking up an HR24 from a local retailer, or is there any chance DTV would give me a better deal? I'm guessing DTV will just tell me I am out of luck since I don't have the protection plan and offer me the standard $199 replacement. I guess I will give them a call regardless just to see if they can offer me a better deal, but wanted to know if any of you guys have any advice. Thanks.

2. Tulsacoker

Tulsacoker AllStar

Jun 1, 2010
    Well all you can do is call and try. A lot depends upon your years with D* and if your still under contract. If you really want the 24 your best bet is to order it online from SolidState.....that's what I would do when my 20 bits the dust.

3. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    PP or not, owned or leased, you can always get an existing receiver replaced for no more than the cost of shipping...

4. sdmiller

sdmiller Cool Member

May 22, 2007
    If it is a leased receiver, directv normally charges $20 for the shipping fee for a replacement if you don't have the protection plan. That has been my experience with two receivers dieing this year.

5. z28lt1

z28lt1 Legend

Aug 28, 2007
    If it is a leased unit, it will be replaced for the $20 shipping/handling fee. That's if you can convince them it is really dead and they don't want to roll a truck and charge you for a service call. Seems like that shouldn't be a problem in your case.

You'll get some kind of replacement, probably not a new HR24, but a refurbished 20, 21, 22, or 23. Some of the refurbs haven't really been refurbished, so you may go through a few until you get one that works.

6. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Whens the last time you had a service call? If it's been more than a year, and you have had your service a while, then call D* and talk to tech support (jump through their hoops, play nice) and ask if you can get a Loyal Customer service call.

It will be free, a technician will come out, it will be luck what models he has.

7. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    If its an owned receiver, without the protection plan it will cost him $199 (or cheaper, depending on what they offer him) AND a new 2-year commitment and the new receiver is leased. If he wants to have an OWNED replacement sent to him, with no 2-year commitment, he needs to have the PP.

But then again he didn't specify whether its owned or leased, if its leased he's good to go without the PP :D

8. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Take a gander at this thread here, especially post #13 from an employee, FWIW:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=180905

9. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Hmm, interesting, I hadn't seen that thread before....in my case though, I'd still want my owned HR's replaced with owned units :)

10. vachief

vachief AllStar

Jul 17, 2007
    It's leased unit, so hopefully I'm good to go. I'll give DTV a call this evening. Thanks to everyone for the info!

11. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I had a leased HR20-700 fail with no protection plan last week.

You can expect a charge of $19.95 on your next bill for the cost of shipping out the replacement.

You can expect the replacement to arrive in about 2 days with a return shipping label for the failed unit included in the box.

You can expect to spend about 15 minutes on the phone getting the replacement activated.

You can expect to wait about a full day before setting up your series links again while all of the guide data repopulates.

You can expect most DoD offerings to not be available for that first 24 hours also while the data populates. This also applies to little tchochkes like cast & crew info and the parental informational content.

The most painful part is losing all the archived recordings.

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Me too. I don't want to take an owned receiver out of existence to feed their cash cow lease program...