1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead HR23-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Vinny, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I had my HR23 on Pause for about 10 minutes. Came back and the power was off. I tried turning it on and nothing. I unplugged it for a few minutes and nothing. No lights....no power at all.

Anyone have experience wiith this. Is the box dead?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Sounds like the power supply died. Give DirecTV a call.

3. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    thats not good.

4. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No, but they will replace your receiver. Without the Protection Plan you will have to pay for shipping.

5. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I called DirecTV and they are sending a replacement free of charge since I do have the protection plan. However, as we all know around here they can not guarantee which HD DVR they will be sending. Since this is replacing an HR23 I am hoping that they send at least an HR23. I wouldn't be upset if they sent an HR24. We shall see on Thursday when it is scheduled to arrive.

6. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Vinny, keep us updated on when you get an email saying it shipped. I called in with a dead HR10 on Sunday and I had hoped it would ship Monday, but I guess not.

Hope you get the receiver you want. I'm with you, hoping! I'm hoping I get HR21 or newer for 3D. I'm not exactly hopeful though.

7. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Since things always happen in threes... I wonder who will be next? Came into the living room this morning to watch TV while I had my coffee, and my HR23-700 is dead, as well.

Amazingly, in 10 years of having DirecTV, this is the first equipment failure I've experienced.

Not looking forward to calling DirecTV after work tonight! This one's owned, and I have no protection plan, so I'm curious to see what they say when I call in.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They may allow you to get the protection plan and keep the new box as owned. You'd need to keep the plan for a certain amount of time though, or pay a penalty. Otherwise, you'll end up with a leased box.

If they do let you add the plan and keep it owned, be sure to have the Access Card department activate it.

9. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I received my "reconditioned" HR21-100 this morning. I'm not very happy about that since I was hoping for at least what I had or a newer HR24. I called DirecTV and of course they said that there is nothing they could do about it. As we all know they don't guarantee what will be shipped and they consider all their DVRs comparable to whatever the customer already has.

The agent told me that the hard drive is the same size as the HR23...can anyone confirm this.

Also is there any difference in performance or otherwise between the HR21-700 and HR21-100?

Thanks

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The HR22, HR23, and HR24 have a 500GB drive. The HR21 has a 320GB drive.

Otherwise there is no functional difference.

11. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I knew it!!!

DirecTV told me they were the same. I'm going to call again; I can't live with 320GB

12. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm not opposed to leasing receivers (this HR23 is my only owned receiver), so I'm halfway tempted just to call up and see what sort of deal they'd give me on a new receiver (knowing I'd now have a 2 year commitment). I'm thinking my chances at an HR24 might be better if I order a "new" receiver, rather than replace this one.

I'd already thought of signing up for the protection plan in order to get this replaced. I'll call them first and see what my options are and go from there.

13. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Let us know what happens.

14. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Vinny, on the packaging did yours ship Next Day Sevice, or 2 Day or?

I ordered a replacement for a dead receiver on Sunday and have received nothing.

15. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    They said it would be 3 days, but it arrived in 2. I think they ship the following day after order is put in and then it's FedEx overnight. I could be wrong though.

16. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    Thanks Vinny

Sorry they downgraded your hard drive space. I got a HR20 myself, so no 3D. Once I activate, I'm calling back to request it get swapped out for a 3D model.

17. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    No luck getting a new receiver... I emailed first because I haven't seen my home in daylight for a few weeks... they responded that a new DVR is $199... which is pretty much what I expected (and somewhat amusing because the response says that the cost is "automatically determined by the system based on your account". If I try to purchase an HD-DVR online, they only want $149).

Anyway, I finally got around to calling in this afternoon, and the guy I spoke with was willing to replace the HR23 for $20 shipping, but no new DVR love.

I'm sure if I pitched a fit and called multiple times I could get something, but it's just not worth my time. I only watch like 4 channels, so the "slowness" of the older DVRs is not really an issue for me... the occasional unresponsive remote can be irritating, but not worth spending hours on the phone calling multiple times to try and save a buck. I'll take the DVR they send and so long as it is functioning, I'll be happy.