1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Dead Like Me: Life After Death"

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Aug 21, 2009.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    So I'm casually setting up my recording schedule when...what's this???? "Dead Like Me: Life After Death" the 2009 made-for-dvd movie that was part of the DVD set that some feel wrapped things up better then the Showtime sudden cancellation in 2004 allowed.

It got mixed reviews. Some complained because the character Rube (Mandy Patinkin) is written out and Laura Harris, who played Daisy Adair, was replaced by Sarah Wynter. It seems a bit much to expect everyone to come back. As one reviewer said: "Very few shows get life after death."

I didn't buy the DVD but I will watch it Sunday on Syfy. Here's an interview of Ellen Muth at the time of the release of the DVD.

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Phrelin, thanks for posting. I was a fan of the show, as was the gf. She'll be delighted.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Thanks for the post phrelin. I really liked the show and remembered they came out with a DVD movie, but never got around to getting it. Just as a neat tidbit... Sarah Wynter and Laura Harris worked together on Season 2 of "24"...

- Merg

4. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    I watched it on the Roku from NetFlix. The complaints about the missing/re-cast characters are valid, but I really liked it and thought it did a good job wrapping up the show. You get to see how the characters react when they get a bit more freedom and...
    it has a lot of very good interaction between George and Reggie and shows how George's death affected and changed Reggie, as well as how George has grown in both in her role as a reaper and in her interactions in the non-reaper part of her non-life.

5. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've set my DVR to record this one .. looking forward to it.

6. Drew2k

Drew2k DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 16, 2006
    I bought the series box set (with this Life After Death movie) when it was finally released on DVD ... and it's still shrink-wrapped. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. ;)

7. WERA689

WERA689 DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    Added to the to-do list...thanks Phrelin!

8. Charise

Charise AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks! I wouldn't have seen it was on without your pointing it out.

9. manzelmo

manzelmo Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    So cool, I had to bump Iron Chef and Hung to later in the evening to record this. I really liked "Dead Like Me' Quirky fun show.

10. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I don't want to taint anyone who hasn't seen it yet.....but,

If MGM decides to go back into production I hope Laura Harris is available because I did not like Sarah Winter as Daisy.

11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Considering that it's been five years, I think they did a good job.

It was a little frustrating that Syfy blipped out all the "bad language." I had kind of forgotten what happens when a premium channel show get's shown on a cable or network channel.

12. rebkell

rebkell Godfather

Sep 9, 2006
    It was tough with all the silencing of the language, but it was easy enough to read lips :) The fingers were blurred, but there was no doubt about which finger was sticking out.:D I enjoyed it, and I thought it was just fine without Rube, but I would have liked to have seen Laura Harris as Daisy, she was great, but since she's in space currently I guess it's understandable.

13. jkane

jkane Icon

Oct 12, 2007
    Randomly saw it in the guide last night. I wondered if it was really related to the series or not. Set it up to record. Have not watched it yet. Maybe tonight.

I'll keep my expectations down. That way I can only be happy with it. ;)

14. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Lowered expectations is also a coping mechanism.

15. say-what

say-what DIRECTV A-Team

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I watched it, wanted to like it, but just kept thinking "this looks like something tossed together without the same thought or care as the series"

It just didn't have the same feel as the series - just seemed like the writers were putting the characters, other than Georgia and Reggie, through the motions, they were there but non-essential to the movie.

16. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    While I agree to some degree,

I think they did that to show that the other characters really hadn't grown any since they died, while George had grown and was the appropriate choice to be the new leader.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, I don't know that the others were non-essential to the goal of wrapping things up.

There seemed to me be two plot threads - (1) what happens when a reaper doesn't do the job as Rube had insisted during the series which involved all the reapers acting out in a manner consistent with their series personalities and (2) the Lass family coming to terms with life and death which involved George and Reggie as siblings and Joy's grief counseling, not to mention the missing dad.

Funny thing is we had a harder time adjusting to the older Ellen Muth (Georgia) whose voice and appearance seemed to have changed in five years.

18. LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE Hall Of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    New York
    Setting the DVR now... Thanks Phrelin.

19. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Uh .. have you seen "The Cleaner?" It doesn't always get bleeped out.

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yeah, but that's TNT vs. SyFy... TNT is a little more loose on its late night dramas, such as The Cleaner and Saving Grace.

- Merg