1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dead remote means I have to replace receiver.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by GregLee, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1 of 11
    GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    Unusual circumstances are forcing me to replace my HR24-500 receiver, it seems, unless someone can think a way out of my bind. I've got 2 terabytes of stored programs on an esata disk, so it's very irritating. Here's the problem:
    1. My DirecTV remote control broke. It doesn't emit IR commands any more -- it's just completely dead.
    2. I had the receiver in RF mode, so another working remote that doesn't know my receiver's RF id won't work.
    3. The arrow keys on the front panel of the receiver don't work -- they never have worked, but it never mattered before. So I can't use the front panel controls to get into the menu and put the receiver into IR mode.
    I explained my problem to a D* CSR, who is going to send me a replacement HR24 and remote. But I wish I could find a way to fix it without losing all my programs.

2. Jul 7, 2014 #2 of 11
    coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Waltz Remote http://waltzremote.com/ (if it's networked) should allow you to send remote control commands via IP. That will allow you to reset the remote setting back to IR in the menu, and give you a way to control temporarily. Then just purchase a replacement remote.

Also, official DirecTV iOS app has the remote control capability as well, again as long as the receiver is networked.

2 people like this.
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #3 of 11
    jerseynewyorker

jerseynewyorker New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Sounds like coolman has the answer you're looking for. I just wanted to say that I'm surprised that DTV said they will send you a replacement HR24. When I needed mine replaced, they told me that they could not guarantee what model replacement would be sent. Only that it will be an HD DVR.... I wanted the HR24, but they said that whatever is in the warehouse is what I'll get...

4. Jul 7, 2014 #4 of 11
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You can get a new DirecTV RF remote and program it to operate the receiver.

The following is from the Remote Manual.

1. Locate the 12 digit Receiver ID (RID) number of your DIRECTV Receiver.
    You can find the RID number on the back panel of your receiver, or inside the CAM access door next to the reset button.
    2. Write down the last six digits of the RID number.
    3. Slide the mode switch to DIRECTV, AV1, or AV2.
    4. Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT keys until the green light under the selected switch flashes twice and release both keys.
    5. Using the number keys, enter 9 6 1. (The green light flashes twice.)
    6. Press and release CHAN. UP (The green light flashes twice.)
    7. Using the NUMBER keys, enter the the last six digits of the RID number. (See step 2 above.)
    8. Press and release the SELECT key. (The green light flashes twice.)

Edit: Had to add UP to number six. It is an up arrow in the book and that did not translate when I pasted the instructions into the post.

If you are in a hurry to get it going again, Walmart or Best Buy has the DirecTV remotes. Just be sure it has an "R" after the number. Like RC65R. It can also have an X after the R which is actually preferred since it is 2 way communication with the HR24 receivers.

2 people like this.
  5. Jul 7, 2014 #5 of 11
    GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    Worked great. Thanks, that was a real lifesaver.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jul 7, 2014 #6 of 11
    GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    Thanks loads. The waltzremote website worked for me, and I had an old only slightly defective remote lying around, so now I'm back in business. D* will send me a new remote. (But they won't send me one with a backlight, like my last one.)

7. Jul 7, 2014 #7 of 11
    GregLee

GregLee Hall Of Fame

Dec 28, 2005
    Well, that is what the CSR said, but now I've canceled that order, so we'll never know what I would actually have gotten. When I first got the HR24, I went through the same thing as you, and I told them I would meet the person making the delivery and if it wasn't an HR24, I'd refuse delivery. I did meet the guy down on the street, and he had an HR24 for me, so no problem, However, I noticed that all he had in his truck was stacks of HR24s, so I guess I would have gotten an HR24 in any case.

8. Jul 7, 2014 #8 of 11
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Supposedly the policy is that HX24 is replaced with HR24, HR44 with HR44, as well as H25, rest is luck of the draw.

9. Jul 7, 2014 #9 of 11
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Glad you are running again. Thanks for the update.

10. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've had 3 or 4 HR24s that needed replacement. The ones shipped from DirecTV were all 24s. Not new though.

When a tech shows up, you get what is on the truck. In one case, I got a brand new 24 (for a 20 or 21) but I also got a used 23 for a 21 replacement.