1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadliest Catch: Northwestern out, Discovery suing Hillstrand's

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by dpeters11, Sep 29, 2010.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  2. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    Not good news. Always enjoyed the show and those two families were part of what made the show fun to watch.

3. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Looks like I'll stop watching after Episode 1 this coming season...

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Exactly. The main reasons a lot of people watched the show was Phil, Sig and Edgar, and the Hillstrand's.

I'll watch the first episode for sure, but after that, not so sure.

5. Casey21

Casey21 Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I don't think the show can be the same with Phil's passing although I'll still watch. However, now with the departure of Sid, Edgar, and the Hillstrand's, I may also be a 1 episode and out viewer. The above mentioned are/were definitely the heart and spirit of the show. Why can't it be Keith and the Wizard boat that's gone. Not a fan of Keith's - in fact he seems to come off as a bit of a jerk. I don't think it's my imagination that the other captains don't seem to like him very much. If you ever watch 'After the Catch' it's always uncomfortable when Keith speaks and all of the other captains at the table look uninterested and slightly irritated. Can't blame 'em.

6. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    I too do not like Keith at all and I wish it was him leaving the show.

This is just the Discovery Channel cutting of it's own nose to spite it's own face.

7. Oct 3, 2010 #7 of 31
    hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami

How is this Discovery's fault? They had a contract with the Hillstrands and the Hillstrands didn't want to honor it. Discovery is trying to recoup loses from the now abandoned project.

Don't be surprised is Sig still returns. He's made a lot of money from Deadliest Catch.

8. Oct 3, 2010 #8 of 31
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    From what I've read, which doesn't include anything from the Hillstrand's side, they agreed to do the Hillstranded special, then basically walked away after two weeks of shooting was complete.

9. Oct 4, 2010 #9 of 31
    RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    2 words... Frivolous lawsuit.

3 million? Come on, they didn't lose 3 million shooting for 2 weeks. They are just trying to bankrupt the Hillstrands and put them out of business.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It also includes lost ad revenue.

I'm not sure if 3 million is valid, but the lawsuit isn't frivolous. If the Hillstrand's signed a contract and didn't follow through on it, Discovery shouldn't have to just say "That's OK, we'll forget about the show."

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    So then take it out of what they would be paid this year for Deadliest Catch. Discovery has now sunk their own show, no pun intended, because of this stupid lawsuit when I'm sure there are ways that both shows could have come about without losing any cast.

12. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I wasn't planning on watching after last season's conclusion.Now I know I'm not going to.These guys were the heart & soul of that show.

13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I keep hoping this is all just contract posturing and they will find some way to get it back together.

Siging up to do the special, doing all the fliming and then suddenly refusing to show up and having a do not contact letter from their lawyer? Seems like there must be some stuff missing in the middle there.

14. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    While I am not thrilled about them leaving Sig was my favorite and I am ticked that they are letting him leave the show. Thats 3 of the main boats losing their captains or leaving the show. I dont see how they can get the magic back after that.

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I agree. There has to be a reason this happened. I doubt they just decided they wanted to be pricks about it. There was probably more pay for them coming for the show anyways. Something is being left out.

16. dpfaunts

dpfaunts Godfather

Oct 17, 2006
    I think the Northwestern and Time Bandit folks made good money from the show and enjoyed their extended fame. But I don't see them coming back, I believe their "brotherhood" mentality is too strong and they'd be happy to return to just fishing. I think the Discovery Channel took a calculated risk and found they bit off more than they could chew. The only thing that is compelling is the Harris boys and how/if they will continue. No other boat/captain that is left is remotely interesting. Let's face it, the show does not have anything about crab fishing to show, all that is left is the human element. Sans the Hillstrand's, Hanson's and Phil Harris there's not enough "humanity" left.

17. webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    My views is there's a lot of other boats out there and boats that have been doing it for years too. Discovery will probably try and land on those boats (I would hope) and they will have the human element that is needed for people to continue to watch.

You can't tell me there isn't two or three other boats out there with personalities like the previous captains/boats. And those captains/boats will be happy and proud to have Discovery Channel on their boat, if not for the fame, the money.

The show will go on... the amout of lost viewers from this set back to the amout of no one watching cuz the show is canceled is still to great and they won't let it die.

18. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
  19. hookemfins

hookemfins Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    Frivolous lawsuit is one of the most overused, over-hyped terms. It gets thrown around for every lawsuit that may not make sense. I think you need to read the contract before you assume frivolous lawsuit.

Most people thought that when the lady sued McDonald's because she spilled coffee on herself was frivolous. Guess what? The courts didn't and awarded her money.

My guess is Discovery won't get $3 million but maybe a third or so.

20. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Same here, I'm out after episode one. Those are all of the guys I like. I fast forward when Capt Keith is on, unless he is getting beat up or yelled at. :lol: