1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deal or No Deal? HR20 Upgrade...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vizx, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vizx

vizx New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I thought I received a decent deal on two HR20 HD DVRs today, until I spoke with my a neighbor who insisted I paid too much...

I'm a 10 year subscriber to D*. I called up to replace my HD Tivo unit and an SD dvr receiver with two HR20s. I felt somewhat comfortable that some of the bugs were worked out of these units, and it wouldn't be too bad if I upgraded now.

Initially, one CSR quoted me a price of $299 for each HR20. I explained that I was an old customer and that there had to be a promotion or some kind of deal available. No dice, so I hung up and called back. Same deal, so I hung up and called back a third time...After playing the transfer game for about 10 minutes, I reached someone who offered one dvr for free, and the other for $299. It was basically buy one, get one free...

My old HD Tivo unit I received free due to a promotion at the time, and I never paid for an SD receiver, so I wasn't too bummed out about paying for a receiver/dvr this time..

Now, my neighbor insists BOTH DVRs should have been free. He is also a longtime customer, and he got his HR20 DVR for free. I told him I got one free too, but I have never heard of getting TWO hd dvrs for free at the same time...

anyone?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Not a chance both will be free.... not now... and probably not anytime soon.
    That boat has sailed.

$150 each... not too bad (seriously)... given the changing atmosphere with DirecTV and their credits/discounts.... and the demand for the unit as high as it is.

3. vizx

vizx New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I actually didn't know that demand for the HR20 DVR was that high, that's good to know. The last time I looked into an upgrade, there were too many reports about buggy operation, and I saw some of those issues in my neighbor's unit, so I held off...

Now, with software upgrades and a new(er) box, my neighbor is getting much more stable operating results..

Honestly, I've always been relatively happy with DirecTV's customer service. They've always highlighted the fact that I have been a longtime subscriber, and I felt that they were VERY fair with their hardware "deals" toward me...

This is actually the first time I've had to call back a few times to get some kind of deal. Usually, they acknowledge that I have been a customer for a long time and offer me whatever promotion is going on at the time. I've only dealt with retention once, and that's a whole other story...

So the days of mostly-free equipment are gone, huh?

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    yeah, now that the new HDs are out, these HR20s are going like hot cakes it seems. Having gotten two for the price of one is not really a bad deal.

5. njmurvin

njmurvin Legend

Oct 17, 2006
    Well, I just got one today with dish/free install for $19.95 to cover the shipping. I went the email route. I sent a courteous email explaining that my SD Tivo was dying and that I was planning to replace it with my HR10 since it can't get the new MPG4 channels anyway. So, I need an HR20 to replace that. They responded within 12 hours with an email containing phone number and pin code. I called and within 15 minutes had an order in the system for an HR20, dish, and install for $19.95 and they scheduled it for this coming Sunday. I know people have done better than this, but I really hate playing the car salesman game with these CSRs. I think it was more than generous of them. And, yes, I realize it's leased and I realize I just re-upped for 2 more years. Since I've been a customer since 1996 (according to them - seemed longer to me), I doubt I'll be making any changes before that.

6. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm pleased DirecTV is doing the right thing for you. However DirecTV should do the same for all it's customers. They are going to wind up losing business if they don't satisfy customers. It must be actual policy to offer upgrades for cost of shipping, but it's lack of consistent training to associates (they don't know any better/incompetent).

If DirecTV treated all customers equally we wouldn't be wasting so much room on DBStalk treads.

7. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Did you neighbor by any chance call before 9/26/07?

Since 9/26, $150 each is good.

Your $75 a month package over the next 2 years will be $2,000?

Plus the up-front cost of $300 for two?

Call them back and see if they will still do it.

Other thoughts...

Maybe the BigTen offer can work for you? Big Ten Offer.

Regardless, here are the HD DVR (HR20) Ordering Tips. Click each link. Please click the link to the agreement to see details about the contract and the fact that any new receiver will create a new 2-year contract.

Finally, here is the email that HR10 users are having success with. Here is the email link to use.

Good Luck.

- Craig

8. belunos

belunos AllStar

Oct 5, 2007
    I don't think that's true. They're pretty good about giving good deals if you push for it, but they're running a business. I've never seen this device advertised for cost of shipping under any condition, so I don't see why they would offer that up front.

9. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I too sent an e-mail to DirecTV about upgrading my HR10-250 to a DVR that will receive the MPEG4 channels. Within hours, I received the following e-mail response? Do you think this is the same offer you got?

DirecTV response to my e-mail:

Thanks for writing about upgrading your DIRECTV equipment. I noticed that you've been with us for a long time now and I want to let you know that we truly appreciate your business.

Don’t worry - when we start broadcasting our new MPEG-4 HD channels in the fall, you won’t lose any of the national HD channels you are currently getting with your older HD DVR. To receive the new HD channels and HD local channels in most areas where we offer them, however, you will need to upgrade to one of our new MPEG-4 capable HD receivers or HD DVRs. Please visit directv.com/hd to find out more information about the new channels and equipment. And when you’re ready to upgrade, our best offers are always available online, so sign into your account online to see what offers are waiting for you.

We appreciate your business and we want to keep you as a customer. We’d like to speak with you to help you get the equipment you’re looking for at the best possible price, so we’ve set up a special phone line with a PIN number that you can use to reach our team directly.

Call us at 800-824-nnnn between 6:05 am and 1:00 am ET daily to find out what equipment offer is available. When the system asks for a Personal ID Number (PIN) enter nnnnn (this PIN is good for five days). We’re looking forward to talking to you!

Sincerely,

Michael A.
    Employee ID nnnnnnnn
    DIRECTV Customer Service

10. vizx

vizx New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I just emailed them, and as soon as I get a response I'll let you guys know if I managed to "upgrade" my earlier upgrade...

11. shadowbozo

shadowbozo Cool Member

Jan 31, 2007
    I just upgraded yesterday from my HD Tivo unit. I called using the upgrade techniques listed above. The young lady I talked with gave me the best deal she could. The H20/21 would be free with free installation and now new 2 yr commitment. I have been a customer since early 00 and have the full package along with NFL ST. Don't be shy calling. I even asked for the other deals and the CSR politely told me that "Free" is the only deal I could get.:D

12. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It's wrong to play favorites by saying one customer gets a free deal, while another doesn't. It's disingenuous. Bad service will hurt a for profit company by churning. Companies need to learn there is no loyalty, and why should there be?:confused:

13. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I called D*'s special number with PIN which I got from e-mail. They offered me $199 plus $19.95 S&H. I refused that offer and called D* back. I was transferred 4 times to different customer service agents before I got the following offer:
    HR20 plus new antenna $150 (don’t know which model)
    S&H $19.95
    HR10-250 stays
    HD for 6 mos. no cost
    Premiere pkg for 4 mos.
    All local channels in HD for 4 mos. (I get them anyway from off-air antenna)
    DVR service for 4 mos. no cost
    Sunday Ticket for 4 mos. no cost

I want everything working before the holidays, so I took the offer. They are suppose to install on Saturday, 10/27. I guess this is better than the $1000 it cost for the HR10-250.

14. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Great deal. The current promo for the premier pack/ w sports for 3 months is $66.99. Not bad if your existing customer, the deal is for new, usually they don't apply the new customer deals to existing. So here I say again, no consistency, with customers, some get treated the way they should, while others don't.

15. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    It's not disingenuous - it's business.... I work in a completely unrelated industry, but there are a few things that we do consistently which are applicable to all industries:

1) Larger customers get better pricing. The more money you're spending with me, the more likely I am to give up some of my margins.

2) Pricing changes based on how busy we are. Or, in the case of D*, how "in demand" the product is. If we're slow, we're more likely to give up some of our margins. Generally, if we can make 8-10% margins, that's pretty good. But if things are slow, or we have an opening on a machine, it's better to make 4% profit on that job than not get the work. The same is true of DirecTV. When the HR20s weren't in as much demand, they're more likely to give deals.

And finally... as to loyalty... The consumer is the one that threw loyalty out the window. I can remember a time when a customer was a customer for life. Not anymore. The almighty dollar rules, and customers are willing to jump from company to company at the drop of the hat. Churn happens, and no company is going to give away the farm to every Tom, Dick, and Harry to try and stop it. They'll give things away if it serves the bottom line. If it doesn't, then no deal for you, and if you leave, then so be it.

16. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    D* installer delivered an HR21 instead of the requested HR20. I need OTA for local sub-channels which D* does not provide. It took 10 phone calls over 3 days to finally get a D* CS to agree to attempt a send of an HR20. The D* CS said he could request an HR20, but I may end up with another HR21. I guess I will see in two days. Something is broken at D* regarding what you order and what you get.

17. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    If a company can be inconsistent so can a customer.

I agree that DirecTV which is affiliated or a sister company to SkyB in Europe, and many Latin operations is a large company by Rupert Murdoch still and gets volume discounts on product.

DirecTV has been very, very busy as they report, and this DBStalk reports if you trust what your reading.

If a company has no respect for a customer, the customer is always right and the company (DirecTV) due to their own business practices has caused this lack of loyalty. Customers need to come first for a business to succeed.

18. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    I read on forum that D will have a work-around for the HR21 to pick up locals if a person needs to. Check around, but I'm sure I read that.

19. lman

lman Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    When?

20. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    It will have to be an external device to facilitate OTA in an HR21, which might cost you more to add.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.