1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deal with Installer vs. calling Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by fudpucker, Mar 27, 2010.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    We live in a VERY small town in NW Iowa. I'm about to switch from DirectTV (sub since 1995!) to Dish, and know what I want (the At250, full HD package, a 722K with OTA module, and a 612.) I want the locals also.

So, I assume if I call Dish and tell them I'm thinking of switching from DirectTV they'll give me some kind of deal (depending on the CSR I get.) My question: there's a little cell phone store that advertises being an authorized Dish dealer. Again, we're in a tiny town, so I'm not sure how many installers are around here. I've dealt with the people in this store with my cell phone and they are really good folks.

Would I be better off just talking to them directly and seeing what kind of deal I can get, requesting the specific equipment, etc? Or would I have a chance of getting some kind of better deal by calling Dish directly?

Thanks!

2. Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    A local installer in Des Moines says every installer is an extension of the main company so you should get the same offers. (I plan to go thru that installer since I know whom I will be working with.) See what is available and ask for that offer. If you don't get it, contact DISH main.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Talk is cheap, go in and talk to them it can't hurt.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While it can't hurt to talk to them, my local Radio Shack franchise sells cell phone service and Dish - they sell it in the same fashion as a CSR and offer no extra service. We used to have a real dealer who did his own installs 10+ years ago who couldn't make it.

If you don't feel comfortable with the dealer, I'd recommend going to the Contact Us page on the Dish web site and using the New Customer Sales - English (Live Chat) link. When your done with the chat, before disconnecting highlight the text in the chat, copy and paste it to notepad or other word processing program and save it.

But that's me and everyone here knows I'm paranoid even though I like Dish.;)

5. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    As an independent retailer, I know I am very biased on this subject. I take orders and do installs myself. When I tell the customer I am going to do something I do it. When I tell the customer I am going to be there at 8am in the morning, I am there at 8am in the morning. When I make money for my work, I spend that money in my home town which helps the town out. I go way above a basic installation when I install at your house. And when or if you have a problem, you have my phone number to call and talk to me. I will always recommend an independent retailer. Now the cellphone store may or may not be connected to an independent. But if there is an independent retailer near you give him a chance. We have the same deals just we tend to care more about OUR customers. And yes I said OUR customers. Dish and DirecTV like to think that once we install a customer you become they're customer.. But the independent retailer doesn't look at it that way.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Yes they are "OUR" customers but DISH or DIRECTV can put you out of business. I had Directv pull my contract telling me I hadn't sold enough, there is no appeal process you are out of business with nothing to sell. It is very important for customers like Fudpucker to contact their local dealers. Their won't be local dealers without local customers.

7. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    You can E-mail ceo@dishnetwork.com and tell them you want to switch. That E-mail address goes to the Executive office. They're good.

8. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    I was trying to give the OP a reason to call us.. The handwriting has been on the wall for most of the independent dealers for a while now.. Our biggest competitor is the very companies themself.. We built them. And then they abandoned us.

9. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    I am also an independent installer in a small town.We do much more than dish installs with phone,appliance sales and service and tv sales and service.If the store your talking about actually has an installer on their payroll you should go with them.That gives you a place to actually talk to the installer and have local control. As stated by the other installer if the appointment is set for 8am we are there at 8am. There is none of this 8-12 nonsense.On the other-hand if they contract the install out you may do just as well with the dish #

10. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I like supporting the local folks - heck, I will buy things from my local hardware store rather than drive to Lowes just to try to help them, and they do the same in return. Likewise, I'll buy cables, etc. from our local Radio Shack (we're a VERY small town, and it's a miracle the couple who own the RS stay in business) rather than order from Amazon even if it costs a little more. In return, they go out of their way to help out. One of the great things about really small towns (and I've lived in big cities: Chicago, Houston, KC, etc.) is that personal touch.

Unfortunately, in this case, the local cell phone store is just an intermediate. In fact, they were really up-front about it - they don't install or do anything other than take your order and call Dish and then turn it over to them. They said their main service is to help people who wouldn't have a clue what to order, how a satellite dish works, etc. and who would thus perhaps be a bit lost just calling Dish.

I couldn't find a local installer so I ended up just calling Dish today. The person I got was actually very friendly, personable, and knowledgeable. Color me surprised.

Install is Wednesday morning. We'll see how it goes. Thanks to all for your thoughts.

11. Satpro92

Satpro92 Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    So true.

12. Grafur

Grafur New Member

Jul 25, 2010
    We try to keep our purchases local also, we try to help our local retailers out.
    We went to Cadott Cellular to get the Dish Network system. They forced us to sign two contracts, one to them and the other to Dish. They didn't explain at all how this put us in double jeopardy.
    Is it against the Wisconsin law to do this? Is it a practice that Dish condones?
    You retailers, help us out. Dish canceled our contract due to continually failing DVR's and there was no early termination fee. Cadott Cellular of Cadott Wisconsin has charged our CC $800 for early termination and install costs. (When another Dish tech came to try to get the equipment running correctly, he had to completely reinstall from dish to DVR because Cadott Cellular didn't do it to code).
    If Dish charged back to Cadott Cellular, how much would that have been since we were just past or at the end of the first year? What's normal?
    So much for trusting local Dish Retailers.
    Help please,
    Tom

13. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    With all due respect, no one forced you to sign anything. You were perfectly within your rights to refuse to enter into business with these folks and walk away. You didn't. I understand your frustration and now you've got a mess to clean up. It's called due diligence. If something doesn't smell right, check it out. I hope you get this worked out.

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH dosen't prorate the dealers charge back.

15. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    On a 24 month agreement account, 0-3 mos. service = 100% chargeback, 3-6 mos. = 75%, 6-9 mos. = 50%, 9-12 mos = 25%. After 360 days, no chargeback

16. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    I would dispute the charge with the credit card company and try to get a statement from the Dish tech that said that your system wasn't properly installed. Then take all of that information to Cadott and tell them to remove the charge. Also, e-mail ceo@dishnetwork.com to see if there is anything they can do for you.

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Sears also sells Dish equipment. In fact back in 1999 when I first got Dish, they scheduled the install. Radio Shack also sells Dish.