1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Death of DVD Media

Discussion in 'The OT' started by 1953, Sep 1, 2012.

Will DVD Media Succumb to Streaming (muti-choice)

1. All DVD (I do mean all, in all industries)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Home DVD entertainment only (Thing the gravity of such a change)

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Partial

5 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. No

29 vote(s)
    36.3%
  5. Yes

34 vote(s)
    42.5%
  6. Would you prefer streaming to DVD's?

6 vote(s)
    7.5%
  7. No Opinion

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. A major infrusture shift

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Some percentage of the general public would not be receptive

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  10. Yes, for a niche market

23 vote(s)
    28.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sep 1, 2012 #1 of 80

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Participate in this poll regarding the demise of DVD (includes Blu-Ray) in favor of streaming.

2. Sep 1, 2012 #2 of 80
    kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I hope physical media doesn't die, and we even get a new generation of it. When internet can catch up to what Blu Ray offers, I'll be happy. And yes, that means to ditch Blu Rays all together, I want to be able to get the SAME EXACT quality from a download. I believe Blu-rays run around 54Mbps. So when Netflix and Time Warner allow me to watch the movie at 54Mbps in 1080p with 7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-Master, as many times as I want, without hitting a ceiling on how much I'm downloading, then I'll switch. And I want access to that movie for at least 5 years, no questions asked. Match that, and I'll gladly ditch physical media. And yes, I would expect this to keep up with 4k and 8k resolutions as well.

3. Sep 1, 2012 #3 of 80
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    There are to many people in the rural areas without broadband (or the money for satellite broadband) that will always want DVD's. I would think BluRay would take more market share from DVD than streaming.

4. Sep 1, 2012 #4 of 80

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
  5. Sep 1, 2012 #5 of 80
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Those poll selections are kind of all over the place, so I have no clue how to pick a choice (or three) from that selection.

I don't see physical media ever being fully replaced in the near future... possibly not in the far future either.

Books going digital... because we have iPads and tablets that can hold a bunch of books and are similar physical size to read "like" a real book... so if the prices come down on digital books, I could see that replacing real books at some point.

Music going digital... well, already did with CDs... so it's a matter of the media... digital audio compressions are getting better and file sizes are small, so downloading them isn't a big deal AND a lot of people like their music on the go, so most music probably ends up being played while walking or driving or at work and away from the hifi stereo setup at home... and the digital files are approaching the quality you get from vinyl or CD... so I could see this happening too.

Movies? Not going to happen. People do watch TV on tablets or even mobile phones (gasp!) but that's more a convenience thing... given the choice, most would still rather watch on a big screen TV or in a theater... and for that quality you need the higher resolution, bigger files, and higher bitrates that current internet connectivity can't supply on a reliable basis.

Also... movie studios want more per movie than music studios want per song... and the more people pay for something, the more they expect to get. Paying 99 cents for a digital copy of a song is one thing... but paying $10-$20 for a movie and you don't get a disc and it takes a while to download and isn't in as good of quality...

Then factor in 3D, 4K, and whatever else comes down the pike... we are still chasing the video quality barrier and it will continue to outpace internet bandwidth for some time to come.

6. Sep 1, 2012 #6 of 80
    klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I still buy a few disks though not nearly as much as I used to. Mostly an issue of storage and the fact that I don't go back and re-watch stuff all that often. It can be cheaper to buy seasons of TV shows vs. purchasing through iTunes.

Personally I have not gotten on the streaming bandwagon. iTunes downloads or time-shifting recorded satellite material suites my needs for now.

7. Sep 1, 2012 #7 of 80
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Your poll does not make it clear that you consider BRDs to be a subset of DVDs. Your OP does!

DVDs can't go away soon enough for me.

FWIW- and that's little, here: I don't consider BRDs to be a subset of DVDs.

8. Sep 1, 2012 #8 of 80
    klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    It wasn't clear to me where Blu-ray fit into the poll, if at all. When I buy movies, I buy Blu-ray. TV shows I'm more likely to buy DVD, mostly because I occasionally watch TV shows on my iMac which doesn't do Blu.

9. Sep 1, 2012 #9 of 80
    bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Separate Blu-ray from DVD and I'll participate.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Don't understand the poll... So...

Streaming isn't up to blu-ray quality. So, I prefer physical media for now. Also, special features are not available on streaming.

In the future when we can get sustained 38Mbps streaming, my opinion may change. Until then...

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I still want media. Streaming is fine for rentals of non action films to me. But I won't buy anything that I can't at least download and keep. If they store it, they can take it away.

Of course we've had some physical media that they could take away as well, like DIVX.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Floppies!
    Removable cartridges!
    More!

13. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Same here.

Streaming just isn't there in the mainstream world - too many bandwidth availability issues in various locations to make it reliable.

I'll take a Blu Ray above all at this time.

DVDs still work out pretty well if you transcode them to MP4 for mobile devices.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can tell you this, Dave: I'm getting sick of NetFlix DVDs and BDs. An awful lot of them have to be washed to be able to view them. Even their Blue Ray discs have started to need washing before viewing. I never had this much trouble with my VCRs and their tapes. I just got a BD of the Godfather and I had to scrub the damn thing because it kept stopping. Tried it on more than one BD player and the same thing happened on each one.

Age and hours of playtime seem to just wear out the discs. For the most part, I'm pretty happy with the streaming content of NF, never have a problem with that.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    NetFlix has really improved their streaming content. On a lot of content you get 5.1 sound now.

Rich

16. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Worst poll ever.

17. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    I don't believe Blu-ray will die. I could maybe see DVD being dead because it could be replaced by Blu-ray. As other posters have written until the quality of the streamed or downloaded content matches the quality of the physical media the demise of physical discs won't happen.

18. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Stopped buying/collecting DVDs over two years now. No more physical media for me -- mostly all streaming, a few preemies now and then. I'm in the cloud, I suppose. :sure:

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I stopped too. I threw away a small fortune in VHS flicks that I foolishly bought. Couldn't even get a nibble on eBay for them no matter how many I offered for a small percentage of what I paid for them. But, my son keeps buying BD discs. Boy just doesn't listen to reason. He brought home Battleship the other day. I enjoyed it, don't really see why it got panned, but perhaps you have to a Tin Can Sailor to appreciate it.

Rich

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There are several factors...

I argue that going to a movie theater is a waste of time and money... Even if I go for release-week non-deal prices on Blu-rays... I can buy a Blu-ray for cheaper than 2 people can go to a movie and watch in most theaters... so IF you go to theaters, it's hard to argue purchasing a Blu-ray isn't worth it.

Even if you burn it after watching... you just spent less than going to the theater!

Now I have become choosy... and generally try to only buy movies/tv shows that I want to watch over and over again OR are very cheap. Hard to pass up a $5 Blu-ray when renting + gas or PPV prices would cost about the same...

That's why physical media is going to continue... people are not going to want to pay much for a online-only streaming version that they have to re-buy every time... after you do that a few times, you could have just owned it.

If you're a single person, like me, you have to be more choosy to get the most bang for your buck... but most traditional families save money buying Blu-rays over going to a theater... and I can often save money too even being single.