1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA and Media Share, VOD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by redram38, May 17, 2010.

1. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    I had the DECA installed today and I thought they would be hooking something into my router so VOD and Media share would still work. He finished and did not hook anything into my router, BUT I am still able to use Media Share using Play-on. I am not complaining at all, just wondering how the HR21 is seeing my computer when it is not hooked into my home network. Can someone explain to me how this is possible? I am watching a mkv video that is on my computers Hard Drive as I type.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Were any of your DVRs hooked to your router by ethernet cables before? Is one of them STILL hooked up via ethernet? Do you have a wireless access point plugged into the second port on any of the DVRs?

3. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Ok so I think I figured it out and think this is what you are saying as well. The HR21 still has the Ethernet cable hooked up into the bottom Ethernet port and this is pushing the signal to all of my DVR's. If that is how it works I am impressed to say the least. Media Share is working all every DVR and MRV has been flawless, not a single glitch so far. And the fact that PlayOn played the MKV file without a hitch makes it even sweeter.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If thats the case, call DirecTv and tell them to install a DECA to your network. Using both ethernet jacks on your DVR is unsupported, and not recommended. Since you paid for it, you might as well have it done correctly.

5. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    Why is it not recommended? Just wondering if it can hurt anything. It seems to be working fine like this. How would the Deca be installed to the network?

6. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    It puts an unnecessary load on the cpu. A cpu that some can argue is already underpowered to begin with.