1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA and NIM100s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sriggins, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Jul 1, 2010 #1 of 16
    sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Hi there!

I am looking at DirecTV after my brother switched and loves it. I use a nice TiVo Series 3 with 750gb total space.

I have two NIM100s which allow me to bring Ethernet from upstairs into my living room for the TiVo, Apple TV, XBOX and 3G Microcell.

I understand that the newish HR24-500 supports DECA for viewing content over coax.

Would DECA conflict with my NIM100s over the same coax? If so, are there DECA compatible solutions that would let me use my own network over the coax as I am now?

Thank you!

2. Jul 1, 2010 #2 of 16
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    You have lots of options, including keeping your existing NIM100's. What is your ultimate configuration going to look like? How many DirecTV viewing locations will there be?

3. Jul 1, 2010 #3 of 16
    ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Could always go coax->DECA adapter->switch-> all devices
    or
    coax ->2 way ->hr24 & DECA adapter ->all other devices

4. Jul 1, 2010 #4 of 16
    sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks!

Ultimately I'd like to have a DVR in the living room, and a box in the bedroom that we can watch stuff that is on the DVR, or live TV.

Neither of these would be in my office where the routers are, but who knows maybe some day we'll add a third receiver? Is that doable?

So there are third party DECA boxes that would function the same as my NIM100s?

5. Jul 1, 2010 #5 of 16
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It would help to know more about your NIM100s, "but" if these are MoCA then you can't use them on the same coax as DirecTV SAT feeds since they're in the same band.
    MoCA is for above CATV frequencies and DECA is for below SAT frequencies, though both are similar technology.

6. Jul 1, 2010 #6 of 16
    sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    ok they do appear to be MoCA devices, from Motorola.

So if they are out, I can replace them with DECA and be ok?

7. Jul 1, 2010 #7 of 16
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "We use" DECA between all our receivers and stream recordings fine. "We use" another to connect to our home network for media sharing from PCs or to PCs and internet access.
    All of this works great, "but" not sure how well it would work for other network traffic, nor do I know how or what you're using your NIM100s for.

8. Jul 1, 2010 #8 of 16
    sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Here is a little diagram I whipped up showing my current setup (and future bedroom setup)

[​IMG]

9. Jul 1, 2010 #9 of 16
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While the lower left has been done with DECA, it isn't a supported method.
    DECA currently has an upper limit of around 250 Mb/s.
    "Supported" DECA wouldn't have the switch to feed other devices.
    "I would have to imagine" The MoCA works exactly the same as DECA, since they are both the same/similar technology, though there are different versions of MoCA: 1.0, 1.1. 2.0, etc.

10. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Hmm not sure I understand. My NIM100 does not have a switch. It just has a COAX-IN, COAX-OUT, and Ethernet port.

I run ethernet from the NIM to my own switch.

I'm just using the NIM100s as a way to get networking from downstairs to upstairs.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Right"
    What isn't supported is: I run ethernet from the DECA to my own switch.
    DECA supported would have a DECA on each receiver and another to the router or a switch to your home network.
    What you don't really want to do is to have one DECA feed so many devices that you start limiting the throughput, which for each DECA is the 100 Mb/s ethernet port. DECA to DECA is 250, but the ethernet input is only 100.

12. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
  13. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    Thanks!

Do you know if this will work with Comcast cable internet? I'll still be using them for internet access, so over the same cable I'd have Comcast internet, DirecTV satellite and DECA.

Thank you!

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    You're going to have problems with DECA and the Comcast internet on the same cable. DECA is in the same band, and why their MoCA is at the higher frequency it is and why DirecTV uses lower frequencies.

15. sriggins

sriggins AllStar

Jul 1, 2010
    ok cool, I'll start getting estimates for in-wall runs. Might as well drop 3 cat6 runs too, for future use (like putting DVR in the closet and running amplified HDMI over cat6)

16. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Legend

Apr 8, 2006
    Any DECA not connected to a receiver will need a power inserter. Also, if you get HR24s and/or H24s, you'll need two-way "green label" SWM splitters, as 24s have DECA built in.

splitter ---> HR24
    |
    |---> DECA ---> ethernet switch ---> Apple TV, etc.

In the room with my H24, I have separate coax feeds for the H24 and a separate DECA (connected to a Slingbox, which is connected to the H24), so the splitter is not required. If your installer is "cool" you may be able to get extra DECAs not necessary for the MRV installation for free (I did).