1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA and SWM max config

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by davelNC, Sep 28, 2010.

1. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    SWM8LNB, 3 HR24 DVRs 2 H24 receivers, + DECA adapter and MRV enabled. No matter what the installer tried, he could not get one of the DVRs to be seen by other devices on the DECA cloud. He says he needs to come back and install 4 wire LNB and install a SWM16 multiswitch. I don't really care except I don't want to see that large bundle of cable coming down the side of the house.

Why? By my math, 3 DVRs (x2 ports) = 6 + 2 more HD receivers = 8 ports. Does DECA require a separate port?

Dave

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, the broadband DECA doesn't count against the 8 tuner limit. Just curious, he's not plugging the DECA into an ethernet port on one of the receivers are they? The DECA would connect to an ethernet port on your router, not a receiver.

3. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Nope...DECA adapter attached to ethernet switch that connects to the rest of the house. Nothing plugged into any ethernet port on any receiver.

The receiver/DVR that isn't seen is the one that has the PI attached if that makes any difference.

Dave

4. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I don't know all the inner workings but I had this problem one time. I figured out in the network setting in the setup menu, that that reset defaults doesn't do anything. Try going to the setup menu, then network, then advanced, then work your way through the numbers with the arrows on the remote, and try the reset defaults found on that screen.

It may not help, and you may have already tried that, but I just thought I would suggest it.

5. Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers Godfather

Jan 14, 2008
    Metro-Atlanta
    Dave,

Can you move the PI for the SWM8LNB to the line that goes from the DECA to the splitter?

That setup works for me and there have been reports of problems when the PI is too close / too far / too whatever to the STB.

Might be worth trying.

Barry

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Think we need to keep "tuners" separate from "ports".
    3 DVRs = 6 tuners, but only 3 coax "ports"
    2 receivers = 2 tuners, so this maxes out the SWiM, but the DECA doesn't count as a tuner, so while I don't really like 8-way splitters, it does sound like this is just what you need and try to keep the PI & DECA on the same coax run.

7. GTS

GTS Member

Mar 4, 2007
    Ensure that there is nothing else in line, like forgotten about diplexers. Been there done that. Had a unit where the DVR and all other receivers worked fine, as far as merely receiving video was concerned, with great numbers by the way. Upon doing the WHDVR upgrade, everything worked great except for 1 DVR that wouldn't show up on the network. Again all numbers ok. After moving the PI to another location the DVR in question, to which the PI had been connected, wouldn't get any signal, no video no anything. Upon tracing the wire from one end to the other what should I find in the attic, but a diplexer which, obviously, a previous DTV installer had forgotten to remove.

A word to the wise.

8. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Update:

When I attempted network reset on the non-MRV viewable DVR, the IP address/gateway values are clearly the defaults, and not the correct values for my network. Telling it to connect did not reset these values, so it clearly is not seeing the network (specifically my router....the gateway address and assigned IP address is incorrect.).

Remembering that this is the box with the PI attached, I pulled it out from the cabinet. What I found is that the installer has attached the PI via a 1x2 green label splitter. Input comes from the assumed 1x8 SWIM splitter that feeds the house, and the two output feeds are connected to the DVR and to the "to SWM" port of the PI.....so that means that the DECA unit is behind a 1x8 and a 1x2 splitter as seen from the DVR.

Given all the stories about PI attached close to a receiver, I'm a little reluctant to take the splitter out as is (and break a TV), and the main 1x8 SWM splitter is under the house in the crawl space....and I have to move the drops on the splitter to hook up the DECA drop to the red PI connecto in order to move the PI to tie in on with the DECA. Alas, it's supposed to rain over 6" here over the next 18 hours, so getting under the house is going to have to wait til tomorrow.

Are there any issues with distance between DECA box and PI? If I get under the house, I suppose I could run a dedicated coax line to the PI....I think I have enough ports on the splitter.

I appreciate all the advice. I'll update once I get under the house.

Dave

9. techovercharge

techovercharge Cool Member

Jan 30, 2010
    some PI exhibit this problem, just last week one of my guys had the same problem out on the field. he had to relocate the PI to where the main splitter was to make sure that no receivers are being fed from it. Swap the two dvrs around and if the problems stays in the same location then its the PI. good luck

10. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I did remove the 1x2 splitter that I noted above and ran the cable direct from the IRD to the PI, then connected the cable that's attached to the (assumed) 1x8 splitter under the house. No change. I did go thru enough menus to see that the box doesn't see the DECA adapter. I tried restart box, and reset network to no avail.

I'll move the PI to a different location tomorrow.

Dave

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    What does the info screen show for networking on this box?
    "Coax Connected" for network? If not, re-run the SAT setup to turn on the internal DECA.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Could it be that the router's config is hitting the max for DHCP leased addresses and isn't giving out that last address?

13. nomadr

nomadr New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    First post from a two month rookie to D* (had E* for 11+ years) and I may be way off in left field, but I had a similar situation last week with a H24 that would not get a proper IP address and therefore could not see my HR24 DVR. I'll try to be brief...

I have Slimline 3 SWM setup with WHDVR (DECA) at home, but I bought an additional NON-SWM SL3 for my RV, I only use a H24 in the RV so I don't need a SWM. When I move to the RV I have to do a full Satellite Setup to configure the new dish, but when I returned home the H24 appeared to plug-n-play, it showed SL3S SWM, greyed out, under the Satellite Setup and I had all my channels. A day later I noticed I didn't have access to the DVR and the IP address was incorrect (default) for my network.

After 75 minutes on the phone with Customer Support, restarting/resetting everything in the house, multiple times, including my router, and moving the Power Inserter to a different cable, I notice on the "information screen" that the dish was listed as a "SL3" NOT a "SL3S SWM" like my other H24 even though the Satellite Setup screen showed a SL3S SWM. The solution was to continue all the way though the satellite setup, which I hadn’t done since it worked…After it completed the setup everything worked fine.

I am wondering since the H24/HR24s "plug-n-play"...kind of...if your installer didn't finish going through the Satellite setup on that box.

I apologize if my screen names and terms are wrong, I am at work and going from memory.

Good Luck.

14. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Tried several things tonight, all with no luck. I appreciate all the responses. Here's what I know/did:

- info screen says "coax not connected" under network settings with default DTV addresses.

- it's not a router pool address problem...lots of addresses available.

- I crawled under the house and there is indeed a 1x8 splitter there. One of the ports was not terminated, but I found the terminator laying on the ground. I installed that, still didn't work.

- I moved the PI from the DVR that doesn't work to be wired inline with the DECA box (and moved the DC tap on the splitter to feed the DECA drop). I have the DECA connected to the IRD port, and the drop to the splitter attached to the "to SWM" port on the PI.

- each time I did one of these changes, I would go to setup, satellite, repeat satellite setup, and go thru all the menus. It identifies the SWM SL3 correctly...I then press continue and wait for it to finish setup and download the guide....I skip reprogramming the remote. I've also tried restarting the box (but not a "reset everything"). Based on my reading of other posts in the forum, completing satellite setup should "reset" the networking over coax setting if it was incorrect. (I have never had anything plugged in to the ethernet port.)....but I've also read about some unpleasant experiences.

I have not unplugged/disconnected the other boxes while any of this was going on, but I have unplugged/replugged the DECA.

None of these has made any changes that I can see on the info screen (the SWM SL3 dish is identified correctly).

I thought I would try running a dedicated drop to the PI, but frankly, I'm not very hopeful.

Anybody got any other ideas?

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Here's the problem. The DECA is not active. "Now why" is another story.
    I guess one thing to do is to disconnect this receiver and connect DECA with its PI to this coax. Check the LEDs to see that they turn green. If the cLink stays yellow, then there is an RF problem and this coax needs to be inspected.
    Next would be to try this receiver connected to where you have a working receiver and see if it will work there. If it doesn't, then the receiver looks to be defective.

16. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    So, after more reading, a couple more questions:

- I recall when the DECA was first powered up, it took several minutes for the lights to all turn green. Yet, when I unplug it now, and reconnect....the lights go green immediately.

- when I do the guide + right arrow diagnostic on a working box, and look at the screen...the "friendly names" are not the same as the names that are in whole house menus. PHY and mesh values were consistent with other posts I've seen.

It also reports 5 hardware MAC addresses, which I assume corresponds to the 4 receivers that work + the DECA.

Where is all the network info stored, and how can you reset that data (basically restart the entire network)?

Good idea on moving the box, I'll try that tomorrow. I guess I don't understand the "DECA not working" comment unless you meant "Deca not working with this box" ...it's working with the other boxes, just not this one. As for the drops, funny these are the only two new cables the installer ran...I looked at the connectors...they are ok....and he replaced every connector on every cable he could find.

17. goblazers_6

goblazers_6 AllStar

Apr 20, 2009
    I've seen that error message before, and from my experience that indicates a faulty internal DECA. I've only seen it on H24s but that doesn't mean it can't happen to a HR24. In both instances swapping the box resolved the issue immediately.

18. davelNC

davelNC New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Well, I think you're right...faulty internal DECA. Here's what I did to prove it to myself:

- removed power from all receivers and DECA for 10 minutes
    - powered on the DECA and ONLY the suspect DVR
    - after it booted up, it was finally able to see the coax network
    - on the first (info) screen on the coax network screen, the phy level was in the 70s (prior to this, on other boxes, the phy level was in the low 30s)
    - more importantly, on the phy rate mesh screen, the numbers were in the mid 60s, not the 220's that I usually see. (this sounds like a datarate measurement to me. The combination of these two numbers (high phy power with low data rate) tells me that the receiver's coax network adapter isn't working very well.)

I moved this box to a couple of other drops and with either similar results or it couldn't see the network at all. On the other hand, I tried a couple of other boxes in the same physical location as the bad box, and they worked just fine.

So at the end....all the other boxes work fine and see each other with phy phy levels in the low 30's and phy rates over 220)....and this box again can't get on the network.

This sure seems to point to the box. My original technician is coming back out tomorrow....and I called him to tell him the results of my testing (he thinks I need a swm16, new LNB, etc). He argued with me (a lot), and finally I just said that I was trying to do him a favor by not having to swap out the dish/crawl under the house to replace the 1x8 splitter with a SWM16.....all he had to do is swap the box. He kinda said OK, but I can tell he's not happy. Advice on how to convince him that what I'm suggesting is reasonable would be welcome.

Thanks to everyone here for the help. I learned a lot.

key things I learned:
    - you have to do a "repeat satellite setup" to force the box to look for the DECA via coax. Network settings will not do this.
    - guide + right arrow on the box *not the remote* gets you to the screen you need to see coax networking phy numbers.
    - if it doesn't work, unplug the power cord to everything else but the box you are working on and the DECA. Troubleshoot with just one box on the network at a time.

Dave

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The high loss and low bit-rates weren't enough to prove the receiver's DECA was the problem, but by swapping around this receiver and others, you have "proven" this receiver is defective [and without swapping, it could have been that coax drop].