1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA Field Tests - Next Steps?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Coax Networking (private)' started by hdtvfan0001, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Now that we have been testing, checking out configurations, and experimenting for several weeks with DECA...I have a couple questions:

1) Is there anything else that DirecTV would like us to test regarding DECA?

2) Is there any more information that helps clarify some of our findings/questions during our testing (such as how the C.Link LED colors are determined or what the different colors really mean)?

3) Has DirecTV found our information in our field tests helpful and complete enough?

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

2. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Good question:)

3. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I wouldn't mind using the 4th DECA for my 4th receiver, and HR21-200s second ethernet port for connection to my router.

Is this a configuration that we can formally start to test?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: I didn't ask and "just did it".

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I will say that there is an excellently authored first look in my inbox waiting for a little design and layout. I'm a little tied up with other work right now but I will be getting to it shortly.

6. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The DSL router is right next to the HR21-200, so the only thing to gain (aside from the homogeneity) from using the 4th DECA on the receiver instead of the router is that I don't need to use the PI.

Perhaps I meant is this a configuration that we should formally start to test as a group, with the view to it being a supported means of connecting to the internet.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Guess the answer might need to wait until Doug/Tom/Stuart finds the answer to my question [below] about locking up my router during software download.

8. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    David's proposed checks on alternative Internet access, configuration, and performance is certainly commendable.

I guess I was just looking for some guidance & update on potential additional testing we might do, added changes we might hear about from DirecTV, and/or other test tasks.

Buehler.....Buehler.....uh.....Doug......Doug.......? :D

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I promise, we'll find some more stuff for you. Doug works for a living, he's probably a little busy right now.

10. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I have experienced problems when doing this in my environment. However, I can hook another device, like my H21-200 into port 2 of the HR21-200 that has Port 1 going into the DECA cloud and that works without any issues. That is one of the configurations that I have tested and deemed to work. Whenever I used Port 2 to do the up-link to the router, I always experienced very choppy playback through the MRV connection on that DVR. I have three different setups that I have tested, http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2139562&postcount=9. I currently have the GREEN setup running and have 4 devices in the DECA cloud!

11. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    My environment has changed from the wireless world to the DECA wired world, but maintaining wireless Internet.

I experimented with different Internet connection touchpoints and port changes at various locations for DECA splitter setups.

With the exception of a step backwards on this last CE with my H21-100 for MRV, DECA is going strong here.

On standby for our next "orders" on other DECA testing.

12. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Right now I have the DECA's all connected to the SWM2 port off my SWM8, I did so because of the SWM filter requirement and having only one of those. If DirecTV can get me a 2nd filter I can try splitting the network between the two ports on the SWM8 to see what effect it might have.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: I think you'd have [or end up with] two DECA clouds, since each would stop at the filter.
    Once the filter is incorporated into the SWM8, then the two outputs would work like any other 2-way splitter.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    DOH! Sometimes I surprise myself on how many stupid questions I can ask.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Halfway through my first cup of coffee, and was a bit :confused:

16. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    VOS (and others)...here's another question...

Since installing DECA here in this location....DirecT2PC only "sees" the main HD DVR that has the Internet connection next to it via the splitter.

There is no problem using it whatsoever, but DirecT2PC has not "seen" the other HD DVR in the network since DECA was installed.

In the mean time, DECA itself allows all units in the cloud to "see" all other units for MRV just fine, and all C.Link lights remain steady green.

Curious if you see that too.

17. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I just checked and I see all four of my HD DVR's, two of which are on DECA. My DECA -> Ethernet bridge connection though is where I have a H21 connected and not at a HR2X location if that matters.

18. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    All of my receivers are showing up on Directv2PC.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    All 3 DVRs [and my H21] are in the DECA cloud, with "my network" patched off the HR21-200 second network jack.
    All three DVRs show up in DirecTV2PC, "but" somewhere early on, [I think before the DECAs came], I moved one DVR over to the CE [from the NR] and had DirecTV2PC, but no MRV. I went through the normal reboot, re-run XYZ on the DVR, but nada. Then the next morning I tried a complete router reset [since I couldn't figure anything else]. Everything has been good since, and it doesn't matter if the C.Link is yellow/orange/green either.

20. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    DirecTV2PC sees all 4 DVRs.
    In general it is more mature and behaves better than MRV.