1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA for computer network

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ewing453, Oct 15, 2010.

1. ewing453

ewing453 Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Has anyone tried using spare DECA's to create a computer network over Coax? This would be seperate from MRV network. I have some coax feeds going to a location I would like to locate a hardwired ethernet connection.

1) What are the speeds on the DECA?
    2) What is the distance limitation of the cable?

:rolleyes:

2. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    175mbit.

The DECAs are MoCA 1.1 compliant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedia_over_Coax_Alliance

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While the coax has a higher rate/speed, the ethernet port is 100 Mb/s.

4. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    True enough - I was thinking more of the line rate of the entire 'cloud', rather than per-port speeds... my apologies for the confusion :)

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure your cloud rate a correct either since the 24s have some coax networking tests that can show a "mesh rate" of 250+.

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Something to think about for this project: What else is on that coax? Are there DirecTV receivers on that coax or cable/OTA? DirecTV's DECAs are different from standard MoCA by shifting the frequencies into the OTA/Cable TV range. So, if you're sending OTA or cable down that cable, you will want to buy just standard MoCA gear. If you're sending DirecTV down that cable, you'll want to buy DECAs

7. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I'm just quoting the rate of the MoCA 1.1 specs ... If we are getting significantly greater performance (as it appears we are), then that's even more awesome ;)

8. ewing453

ewing453 Cool Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Nothing else, totally seperate coax.

Anybody find the distance limitations? I saw one spec that said over 300 meters.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    With a single coax end to end, 300 meters of RG6 will work, with a slight amount of loss to spare.

10. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    I did this for my neighbor and he's thrilled with it (single coax with DECA at each end.) Just as an FYI if using DECA dongles you'll need to have a PI for each one.

11. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    You may want to look at standard MoCA equipment, it may be cheaper and won't require PIs.

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    My neighbor did his setup for $30 thanks to Ebay (2 PI's and 2 DECA dongles.) I don't know what the "regular" MOCA stuff goes for nowadays, but DECA equipment can be found extremely cheap...

13. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I haven't checked recently, but a year or so ago I paid nearly $150 for a pair of MoCA adapters with power supplies. I used these for MRV over my OTA cables before getting DECA.

14. dhickman

dhickman AllStar

Apr 23, 2010
    I think 175 mbit and 300feet.

Keep in mind that this type of network will have collision issues and you may never see anything close to the 100bit max of the feecee computer.

But to hard wire a remote room/computer this should be acceptable to all but people like me who will max the gige in my house.

dhh

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006

Not sure why you haven't read the earlier posts but:
    The bit-rate can be higher within the coax, while being limited by the DECA output being 100 Mb/s.
    300 METERS not feet is well within the RF range in RG-6.
    "Collisions" in a modulated RF signal? :confused:

16. djrobx

djrobx Godfather

Jan 26, 2009
    I've found that DECAs perform very well with PCs. I can transfer files and get 90% utilization out of the 100mbps ethernet link, about the same as I get from a plain 100mbps switch. There's a little bit of additional latency (~4ms), but the performance beats the pants off of wireless. They're dirt cheap on eBay too - equivalent MoCA stuff is pricey.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    +1 here as well;

Just hooked a PC up to my DECA cloud through a dongle, and its working just fine and does indeed beat the hell out of the former WiFi-N adapter I had on it for years.

And Yes I know its against DirecTV's policy and recommendations to do this.

So no one flame me please for heresy against MRV orthodoxy. :D

But anyhow, more importantly there are no apparent conflicts when others here are streaming shows via MRV. Whether they be HD MPEG-4 or the even more bandwidth hogging MPEG-2 OTA recordings.

Hey, DirecTV's development of the external DECA dongles coupled with independent sellers on SolidSignal, ebay, and elsewhere for cheap prices may have just inadvertently spoiled the market for the much more expensive formal MOCA 1.1 adapters. :p