1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DECA Network Speed

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by txfeinbergs, Nov 15, 2013.

1. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Apparently it is 100mbps which seems sort of slow in this day and age. I am using a DECA1MR0-01. Are there any faster DECA boxes that operate at 1Gbps? Thanks. (the only reason I even noticed this is I plugged the DECA into my new router which is showing an Amber light instead of white for the connection indicating the slower speed. I then had to look it up on the internet to make sure that was correct.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    No, they are all 100m just like the ports on the DVRs themselves. There's really not a need for faster.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the receivers do not even use half of that bandwidth, so going with anything faster is just a waste of money! keep in mind that the "bottleneck" is on your internet connection when you are trying to stream, that is unless you have Google Fiber!

4. txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs Legend

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks. That makes sense. I think the real bottleneck though is on DirecTV's servers. It sure takes awhile to download things at certain times of the day - but that is a separate discussion.

1 person likes this.
  5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Thanks. That makes sense. I think the real bottleneck though is on DirecTV's servers. It sure takes awhile to download things at certain times of the day - but that is a separate discussion.
    my point was that 100 Mbps is fast enough even if take into consideration that most users internet speeds are well below that. So having a "giga" DECA would not make things any faster

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

6. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Just to be clear. Typical full blu-ray bit rate (or bandwidth if you like--audio+video) can range, but is roughly 28-32Mb/s, depending on the video..animated are typically lower (can go to about 40Mb/s +/-, but i haven't seen any that high). For example, Monsters University is about 28Mb/s, while The Wolverine is about 35 Mb/s. As you know, the networks are definitely not streaming blu-ray anything..

By comparison, streaming HD video for 1080i is typically in the 3-8Mb/s range (720p typically lower). Check any iTunes video bitrate for specs. This is done with H.264 compression, which gives a high quality picture quality at 1/2 to 1/10 the original blu-ray bit rate. Oddly enough, blu-ray video is already compressed..otherwise discs would hold 300-400Gb. Anyway, this compression is pretty amazing and we barely know the difference.

To put it simply, the DECA bandwidth pipe can stream many HD videos with plenty of room to spare :D

-=K=-