1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bjamin82, Sep 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Quick question, wasn't successful in finding another thread, can I use the DECA network to expand my home network? Meaning... my router and cable modem will be upstairs with a H21 and downstairs, i have my main entertainment center with an HR-23, an xbox etc. With DECA, instead of going right to my Hr23, can I plug in the network into a switch and then too my HR and my xbox? Or does it not work that way?

Thanks

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes that will work. I have used that configuration in the past.

What may work better though is to get a broadband DECA, split off a coax for it, and use that DECA for the switch.

3. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    What will D* provide when they install it, new setup since I moved... all the deca adapters for each receiver and an adapter to inject the internet?

4. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes and any splitters that are required for installation.

5. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    So i will need to purchase one or two of the broadband adapters?

6. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    One to plug into your switch. You also may or may not need a 2-way green label splitter depending on how the installer sets up your WHDVR system. Maybe an extra tip ($) to the installer may get you one during your install. :)

7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Depending on the 'support' you want / need from D*, put a 2 way splitter (green label) near the 23 and the BB adapter (or another DECA with a PI) to the switch for your other boxes. In the event of a problem, you can remove the coax to the BB adapter and Terminate that splitter.

If you happen to have a second coax to the 23 from an old installation, you could easily use that.

Technically, you could do it all with the one DECA to the HR23 - take the ethernet to the switch then to all boxes but that's 'unsupported'. There are diagrams of this in these threads.

8. bjamin82

bjamin82 Godfather

Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Gottcha... good point..

thanks