1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DECA unit with HR-34?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by loonysup, Jul 30, 2012.

1. loonysup

loonysup New Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Greetings,

I had a complete Directv system installed a couple weeks ago (love it so far). The install included an HR-34 media center dvr and 3 hd receivers. The tech installed a small DECA box that connects to my router to provide internet connectivity to all the boxes. My question is do I need this extra box or can I just plug my HR-34 in to my home network and achieve the same functionality?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
    David

2. Northicex

Northicex New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Yes you can remove the Broad band deca and just run an ethernet cable to the HR34 and expect the same functionality.

3. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just remember if your HR34 is down then network access from the other boxes will also be down if you use the HR34 vs the DECA.

4. smitbret

smitbret Legend

Mar 26, 2011
    If you go straight from the router to the HR34, you'll disable yoir whole-home DVR.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Not the case. Using the Ethernet jack does not disable the internal DECA on the 34.

6. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I don't think that's correct. The HR34 is the only D* box that retains full DECA functionality if you plug an ethernet cable into it. For all other boxes, your statement is correct, but for the 34 it is wrong. (as I recall)

7. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That is not correct when using a HR34, using the Ethernet port does not disable the internal DECA connection like the HR24 does.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You do recall correctly, though I don't think I'd say "all" the other boxes, it only really matters for 24s and the 34 since those are the only ones with both integrated DECA and an Ethernet jack.