1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DECA upgrade - include SWM?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by directvfreak, Aug 15, 2010.

1. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm interested in having DECA installed at my house, but I currently don't have a SWM setup. If I order the DECA upgrade from DirecTV, will the installer upgrade my setup to SWM at the same time so DECA can work?

To give you perspective our current setup is the following.
    Slimeline 3 -> Zinwell WB68 -> the following recievers
    2 HR20-100
    2 HR20-700
    1 H21
    Two of the HR20s have only 1 line to them. SWM would be nice to have to those 2 HD DVRs could record 2 shows at once.

Since we have 9 tuners total, I would need the SWM16 installed correct? If so, is this typically covered and readily available to installers? Our last installer didn't have the SWM16 on him so he couldn't do the install for us.

Next, if I have DECA installed, does the fee cover installing units on all 5 of our receivers and the unit at my router?

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks for your help!

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The Connected Home installation from DirecTV will supply all the hardware necessary for the install, even if that includes a SWiM16 (mine did). That also includes the DECA's for all your receivers but not for your broadband connection. You'll also need to request the internet connection kit which is another $25 to provide that DECA and any wiring to get the coax to where your router is located.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes

4. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    One of the receivers is right next to my router. In that case, can I just use the coax line that goes to the receiver for connecting DECA to my internet or does the internet "inserter" (for lack of a better word) have to have it's own dedicated coax line?

5. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    What the installer would do then is put in a 2 way splitter, feed one coax to the DECA for your receiver and the other to a second DECA to connect to your router, that second DECA would also get a power inserter (also included in the $25 cost for the internet kit) to power that second DECA.

6. directvfreak

directvfreak Godfather

Feb 1, 2006
    Sounds good.
    I think I'll be calling up DireTV tomorrow to order DECA. Hopefully I can get a good deal since I've been a sub for 6.5 years now and we are out of contract right now. I'll see if using UVerse as an excuse will help encourage them to give me a good deal - after all UVerse does have multi-room DVR included...