1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Default Gateway

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Wireless Adapter Discussion (private)' started by redram38, Aug 24, 2008.

1. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    I see that the WGA shows and IP address of 192.168.1.XXX and shows the default gateway as 192.168.1.254

My router's default gateway os 192.168.1.1
    I was showing about 32 % signal. I switched to 192.168.1.1 and now it is up to 44 %. Is this normal. It seems kinda low to me. Also I have a N router and it shows the mode as 11g in the WGA's Management URL. Why would this not show as N

The WGA is about 30 ft away from the router inside the entertainment center, but it is an open front.

Should the default gateway not match my router's gateway or should I switch it back to 254 ?

2. drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    just out of curiosity, do you have a g device connected to your network?
    If so then everything will act as g, until the g device disconnects.

oh and no keep your settings the same, the default gateway should be the .1

3. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    I have my desktop on N, another desktop wired. My laptop is on G but not running right now. I also have the 200 mpbs netgear powerline hooked up to one of my other HR20's. I do have a desktop hooked up on G now that I think about it. I have my old desktop running my magic jack phone. So if I shut it down, that should change the adapter to N ?

4. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    After trying all this I still show 11g as the mode on the WGA600N set up page. It is only showing about 35 % signal as well. HD is again unplayable using this adapter. If it says it is N I cannot see why it is so slow. I do have a Netgear N router but would not think this would cause this.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Try turning off any G devices, unplugging the WGA600N, then unplugging and plugging back in your wireless router, and finally plugging back in the WGA600N and going through the setup again.

Your router could have the G devices still in its table not allowing it to go into N mode. The WGA600N could also just be sitting in G mode because of this as well.

6. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    After I did this the WGA came back up with a 169 IP so it won't let me into the setup. Also since late last night it will lose it's connection and then reconnect. It will no longer keep a constant connection. It seems to have lost it's ability to stay connected.

7. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The 169 IP is an automatic private address which means it is not getting the proper address from your network for some reason.

8. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    After another reboot of the reciever I seem to be staying connected now and can access Media share. I still get a 169 IP address, but that is what I had when I first set the adapter up for the first time. Then it changed to 192.168.1.232 and showed up in my UPnp devices in the router. Thx for all the help, maybe Linksys don't agree with Netgear as far as speed, signal and the 169 Ip

9. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    It could be, some of the N stuff is very finicky as the standards were a bit loose and goofy for some time (aka, still in discussion of what the standards actually were!). Each brand had their take on it, and then tried to come together and everybody work nicely with each other...but there are still some quirks.

10. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    How does one get to the setup page for the WGA600N? My modem shows the DirecTV IP as 192.168.0.66. I tried that with no success, but I can ping the address fine. I also tried http://wga600n as the manual recommended. I have been unable to access the setup page since I connected to my receiver.

11. RehabMan

RehabMan Godfather

Mar 11, 2007
    You can't get to the setup page for the WGA600N after it has been setup by the HR2x because it is in some kind of "bridge only" mode, where only the device it is connected to is visible on the network (as if the device was hardwired directly to the WAP).

You can do a hard reset on the WGA, connect it directly to the PC, then access the setup page, set it up manually for your network, reconnect to the HR2x, and see that both your HR2x and WGA600N has an IP, then continue to access the WGA's web interface through it's IP...

12. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    Thank you for the recommendation. I may try that.

13. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    If you have Vista, open the Network and Sharing Center. At the top right click on View full map. Your WGA should show up in the Map. You can either right click on it and click Manage URL, using admin as the password, or you can point your mouse to it and it will show you the adapters IP address. The Adapter has a diff IP than the HR2# does. If the Ip starts with 192.168 you can get in, if it starts with 169 it will not let you. You can also check your devices in your routers setup and get the ip for the WGA there. You have to type the WGA's Ip as your address and it will open the WGA's setup. Just be carefull when you get there, any changes you make may effect the WGA's connection to the HR2#. Hope that helps.

14. morbid_fun

morbid_fun Godfather

Jan 16, 2007
    Thanks. Did not know that was there in Vista. The IP shows as http://169.254.124.176. Therefore, I will leave alone.
    Thanks for your tip redram. Have a good day.

15. redram38

redram38 Icon

Dec 6, 2005
    Millington Tn
    I had a 169 IP untill I did this latest CE and then the correct one appeared. If you have not done the latest maybe it will kick in after that. Oh and it did the same thing for me last week. I lost the IP when I tried resetting the WGA to see how easy it would be to reconnect.