1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Defiance on SyFy

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by lparsons21, Apr 15, 2013.

1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Remember all the hype about this show?

Well, there's only one way to describe the pilot and that word is EXCELLENT!!

It definitely lived up to the hype. If you haven't watched it yet, don't miss this one.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Haven't watched yet... am DVRing it though. SyFy has a decent track record lately with shows I have tried and liked, so I wanted to take a look at this one.

3. Number Six

Number Six Cool Member

Aug 7, 2011
    I tried but lost interest a half hour in.

4. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    I'm recording it but I'll probably let this one age on the DVR for a while and see if the show is going to make it.

5. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    DVR'd it, hope it doesn't disappoint.

6. Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    My series recording did not catch this. Luckily I checked and was able to manually record it at a later hour.

It was very strange. When I checked it on my "ToDo List" the program was listed there but did not have the little record circle next to it. When the time to record was reached, the show did not record and the History said it was Cancelled.

Glad I checked it.

7. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Kind of an interesting world they've created here. I'll keep watching.

I hope more is revealed about the events that transpired between 2013 and 2046 -- I'm a little unclear on why an alien species would need to terraform Earth to the extent that they form rocky, craggy mountains in the area around St. Louis, and get rid of the Mississippi River.

8. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Watched it and this is one I will set to record

9. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    After reading this thread I figured I would check it out hoping the pilot was going to be shown again. They are not taking any chances, the pilot is being shown 2 or 3 times a day every day!

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yes, it will be interesting to see how much of a back story is developed over time. And yeah, the form that the terraforming took is puzzling to me also.

11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    There's a gazillion dollars invested in this show, the online stuff for it and the game that goes along with it in a different locale. I'm not surprised at all that they want to ensure the widest audience.

12. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Missed it and just happened to see it was on this morning, think I am scheduled to record in a few hours. Glad they are showing it plenty. Hate it when a cable channel airs a show 3 times in the premiering night then maybe once more later in the week if you are lucky.

13. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Interesting attempt at recording: I will not be home in time to manually record the 5PM showing tonight so Iogged into DirecTV.com to do a remote record scheduling. It picked one of the Friday showings of the pilot to record when I selected series. Trying to record just the episode shows next showing 5PM today but after selecting it jumps to Friday 8PM. Guess i have to wait until tomorrow to watch, I will manually pick one of tomorrows showings tonight

14. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    Yes, several airings of the pilot, according to the schedule search on their website. I looked and it's also available to get on iTunes, but not up yet on Amazon nor Vudu.

You can also watch it free at defiance.com

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I noticed that Direct subs had problems with the pilot setting to record properly. On Dish, there wasn't an issue.

16. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    READ MORE

17. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I liked it. It has some of the feel of "Terra Nova" but the "aliens" and the cgi scenes offer stronger opportunities. And the primary characters - the cast really - did well for a pilot of a show with a lot of weirdness. It is a strong cast, by the way.

18. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    Turns out the Wikipedia entry for "Defiance" does a good job of explaining the backstory, including the things I was curious about.

(I don't see any obvious spoilers on the page, but don't look, I guess, if you want to wait for information to be revealed "organically" in future episodes.)

19. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    Watched last night and was pleased to see it is a Rockne S O'Bannon show. Definitely had a few Farscape type aliens. I am also a Julie Benz fan so nice to see she is in it.

1 person likes this.
  20. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Although I liked the show, it has the usual unexplained items in a SciFi (not SyFy) show.

Where do they get all their food?
    Manufacturing?

And so on. Overall not too bad although I thought the McCawley Father was a bit of an overactor.