1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delay on Playing MRV Recording

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by acostapimps, Mar 19, 2013.

1. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I have 2 HD DVR's HR24 and HR22 Ethernet connected, and even though I have no issues with MRV or seeing the playlist on either DVR's, The only thing that I have a problem is delays in playing recordings on the HR24 not so much on the HR22, is this how the system works or is there something router related? Im on dhcp not static but it's been working well besides the delays, I already rebooted the router and cable modem and did the network reset on both receivers, and refreshed the dhcp binding list on the router.

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Exactly what kind of a delay?
    From what DVR to what DVR?
    Are you using the DECA based MRV or ethernet?

3. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    How long is your delay? A couple of seconds is normal, and is influenced by the speed of the source DVR (the delay from HR22 will be longer than from an HR24). If your delay if getting beyond 4 or 5 seconds on a regular basis, that is not normal.

4. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    He said he has a HR22 and a HR24, and he is Ethernet connected.

5. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I know is more than 5 seconds but not exactly sure how long of a delay and is happening on the HR24, I have to look on the HR22 to be sure but last time I checked it played with few delays other than usual slow response time.

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Again, what kind of a delay? Are you talking about how long it takes to start watching a recording? Like you hit play and it take 6-10 seconds for the recording to start? If so then I would say that is probably pretty much normal.

It also doesn't suprise me if it is more noticeable when watching recordings on the HR24 streamed from the HR22, becasue that means that the HR22 is actually the one playing the recording and sending it to the HR24, so the slower speed of the HR22 is causing the delay. When watching recordings off the HR24 on the HR22 the HR24 is actually doing the playing so it is faster.

Also it is common for remote commands like play, pause, FF, Rew, etc. to be a little more sluggish over Whole Home DVR, but it shouldn't take 6 seconds or more for the video to pause after you hit the pause button, or respond to any other remote commands once the recording actually starts playing. If that is what is happening then yes you likely have an issue.

7. acostapimps

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Yes you answered my question which I wasn't aware of when watching a recording from the HR22 to the HR24, since the recordings are coming from the HR22 then I should expect delay playing on the HR24? and vice versa should be faster coming from HR24? and yes I meant playing recordings being delayed. Maybe I thought since playing on the HR24 it would be faster regardless where the recording is coming from, since the HR24 respond faster.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes, whichever DVR the recording is saved on is actually the one doing the playing. That is why the HR2x DVRs are only able to send out one recording at a time to the other receivers on your Whole Home Network, their hardware isn't able to play more than one recording and send it out over the coax as a stream to the other receivers.

So if you have a receiver that responds slowly when watching live TV or recordings directly on it, it is going to be at least that slow if not slower when watching the recordings off it on another receiver/DVR, no matter how fast that receiver/DVR normally responds when using it's own tuner or recordings.