1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Delay when switching channels?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by inthemaetricks, Jun 16, 2009.

1. inthemaetricks

inthemaetricks New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    When channel surfing on a direct TV HD reciever there is a long delay between each channel. Does this happen on dish network? I'm trying to decide which survice provider is better and that's one thing that annoyed me about dish network along with service outages.

2. BarryG

BarryG Legend

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Since DBS receivers send a control signal to the LNB which then 'switches' to the correct side of the signal there are indeed delays. Not much can be done to fix that.

4. inthemaetricks

inthemaetricks New Member

Jun 16, 2009
    very good thank you. Although they do claim that dishnetwork is 2x faster between channels than direct TV. I found that on dish networks web site.

5. ajc68

ajc68 Icon

Jan 23, 2008
    On your Directv receiver/dvr, have you set "native" to off (in the setup menu under HDTV)? This speeds up the channel changes. Just make sure you set your receiver/dvr to either 720p or 1080i, depending on your TV.

Btw, didn't channel surfing go out once channel guides became the norm.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Dvr models are longer than the non-dvr ones due to the channels having to go thru a buffer first.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not trying to be "smart" here... but you might have to define "long".

As others have suggested, the HD channels process more info than SD so that adds a little to the delay and the DVR receivers vs non-DVR also adds a little delay.

There's also a timing factor since the way MPEG compression works (key frames transmitted ever so often, with only change-frames in between) the time of synching can vary depending on how close to the next key frame you are when you change the channel.

Weather and poor signal also affects this to a degree.

In an optimal configuration with all other things being equal... I typically don't see a delay that bothers me, but I haven't actually timed it to see just how long the delay is when I switch channels.

8. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    That's why there's an EPG... :D

9. ZBoomer

ZBoomer Icon

Feb 21, 2008
    If your main desire is fast channel surfing, you want to try AT&T U-Verse. I tried it and it literally seems to change channels instantly, much faster than any satellite I've tried.

That said, I prefer Dish over it in just about all other aspects. I don't channel surf, but instead use the guide to find out things to watch, so the short delay changing channels I don't even think about any more. I've also noticed sometimes it seems faster if the channel you change to is on the same satellite as the channel you are watching. I guess the switch doesn't have to switch, so it seems a bit faster.

10. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    What might the best thing for you to do is, find a local dish retailer and go try it out. That would be the best way for you to know if it is fast enough for you.

11. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yep, I gave up channel surfing and started EPG surfing years ago.

12. reddice

reddice Godfather

Feb 18, 2003
    Dish channels change a lot slower than DirecTV. When I had DirecTV they would change instantly. Dish will take 2 to 5 seconds sometimes before the picture came on.

13. 34Ford

34Ford AllStar

Jul 3, 2004
    Dish receivers in my opinion.

I have a receiver that blows the doors off of my 622 when a channel is changed.

14. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The speed at which any individual receiver puts up a picture on a new channel is determined by how much data the receiver receiveds from the satelllite atream and how fast that receiver processes that data.

Therefore, a weak signal will slow down channel appearance as will a slow processor. Dish seems to have a faster processor that Direct in certain receivers.

15. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    either you're exaggerating, or you had a faulty receiver/signal.

I find dish changes channels faster than directv. 5 seconds is ridiculous. You should've called somebody.

16. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Definately do this. I found the delay annoying initially (I have Dish), but I got used to it pretty quickly.