1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delete a recorded program you are watching - how?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by PaulQ, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 24
    PaulQ

PaulQ New Member

Jul 28, 2007
    When I finish watching a show, it isn't always at the end with the delete yes/no prompt. Is there some way to delete it sooner or do I have to fast forward until I get that prompt?

I know about the "hold down ffwd button" deal but it still would be easier to just hit a key/keys to delete it right there. The dash-dash doesn't work.

Thanks for your help!

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 24
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    It will depend on how you started the program. But for me, it is usually one of these:

BACK>DOWN>DOWN>SELECT

This assumes you started the program from the playlist by pressing SELECT>SELECT on a highlighted program.

If you started the program by pressing PLAY on a highlighted item in the list, then:

BACK>DASH>DASH.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 24
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Also, if you use Play on a highlighted item, you can use STOP then DASH DASH.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 24
    MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I press the stop button and the delete screen comes up.

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 24
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I'm guessing when you're finished with watching, the show still has a few minutes to go. My wife's favorite technique is to FFX4 to the end then she gets the Delete message. It's two fewer button pushes than the STOP-DASH-DASH method but you don't have to move your fingers as much or as far.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 24
    mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    When I press stop that "Delete or Keep" screen does not show up.

It goes to my playlist.

-mk

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 24
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You could JUMP to the end first: Hold the forward advance (30s slip), for 3 seconds...
    then hit stop...

You should then get the Delete/Keep.

Also,I think you could hit INFO twice to get the full menu options, which has a delete option as well.

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 24
    cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Yep, as previously stated, it depends how you started the program....

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 24
    mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    OK. Gotcha.

So if I go Select, Select on my playlist to start a show and then when you hit stop the delete screen will show up.

I wonder why it is setup that way?

Thanks for the clarification.

-mk

10. sonicsi16

sonicsi16 Cool Member

Jul 17, 2007
    I wish it would function like the Tivo unit. If you stop watching within the last 2 minutes it will prompt you to delete the recording.

11. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Nope, if you use the "Info" method, it works no matter how you started watching it.

12. mtnagel

mtnagel Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2006
    +1 I've been saying it since I got the unit. I've just gotten used to FFing to the end, but this is one of the things that makes the tivo units seem more polished.

13. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    The reply was regarding what happens when you press STOP. It is true that INFO>SELECT>DOWN>DOWN>SELECT will work no matter how the program was started.

Kinda makes you miss LIST>CLEAR, but I digress.....

If mashing LIST would return to the last selected program instead of the top of the list, then LIST>DASH>DASH would work great, but, alas....

Is that request on the official wishlist? I can't remember.

14. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You forgot at least the SELECT (if not the DOWN->SELECT) to confirm the delete... (CLEAR took you to the confirmation screen... IIRC)

15. chris.dg

chris.dg Cool Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I *really* thought that prior to the last release a couple weeks ago, that DASH-DASH would delete the show that I was currently watching, no matter how far into it. Am I high?

16. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    On a similar note, how do you start a program from the beginning if it was previously stopped in the middle of the show? Every time I start playing it again it resumes from the point that I stopped.

17. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    You are right, Earl. I stand corrected.

So then, I guess LIST>DASH>DASH would be an improvement on [you know who].
    I think I'll check the good ol' wishlist.

EDIT:
    Always return to most recently accessed position on My Playlist when using LIST
    is currently #8 on the wishlist.

How about a RALLY for what should be a pretty easy enhancement!

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Press and hold for 3 sec the button just above and to the right of the REWIND button ...it will jump to the beginning. Conversely, press and hold the 30 sec slip button for 3 sec and it will jump to the end of the recording.

19. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Hasan, do you know if this works with the Harmony as well? I seem to have trouble with going to the beginning or the end with my Harmony 880.

20. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Wow, all the different ways to delete a show you are finished with! ;)

I didn't know a few of them.

The method I've been using is to hold down the 30sec slip button until it jumps to the end and the "delete" menu comes up.