1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Delete Group deleted all recordings

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by l8er, Aug 15, 2009.

1. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    I have a vip722k and thought I was deleting one group of shows. (Had about 30 hours of recorded programs). When it was done I had 55 hours (HD) free and all recordings were gone. I searched but didn't find much except "no" - is there any way to recover deleted show? Thanks.

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper DBSTalk Club

Dec 10, 2002
    Short answer is there is no way to un-delete shows. On a side not, I was not aware you could delete a group of shows. Guess I never tried.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I wanted to delete a group the other day and couldn't... discovered that the "delete" only applies to groups you create and not the auto-group by title ones.

That said... I am never sure whether delete group deletes the recordings OR just removes the grouping.

In either case, it shouldn't delete other recordings that were not part of the group.

4. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    I was playing around with the Mygroups after I got 6.22 and I wanted to delete a group. It was empty so I knew I wouldn't lose anything. High lighted, clicked Delete and up pops a little option box that asked if I wanted to Delete Group and Recordings, Delete Group Only, Cancel. Words may not be exactly right because this old man has slept a couple of nights since then :p but you get the idea I hope.

5. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    It would be nice if you had a Recycle bin like you do in Windows where you have a chance to undelete programs. Those programs wouldn't be overwritten until the space is needed to record new programs.

6. ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Right. When you start to delete a group you get a popup where you can select to delete only the group or the group and the contnets. However, I did one a few minutes ago and the option to delete group and contents could not be selected for some reason.

7. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    As I said I deleted an empty group so I had no problems. I haven't played with it again so I don't know if this matters or not. Could one or more of the programs in that group have been protected?

8. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Whatever I did - I had a group open (all the episodes in the group were showing). I chose "select all" and all the episodes in the group were then checked. The other groups on the screen had no indication that I had selected anything other than the episodes in the one group. I then chose delete and in just a few seconds all 30 hours of recorded programming was wiped out.

I'm guessing that if I would have expanded/opened another group after choosing select all, I might have seen that all the episodes in that group were checked as well.

However deleting all happened - if there was some way to recover deleted shows would have made my day.

But....it's only television. :D

9. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    That's a pretty good attitude to have :grin:. And there's always reruns, right? Plus if they were recent episodes of series maybe you can find them on the network site or hulu.

10. sand0161

sand0161 New Member

Oct 8, 2010
    Is this possible on vip722? If so, what are the steps?

Thanks! Sandy

11. paraloma

paraloma New Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I deleted a group of shows and it wiped out all of my recordings. This has happened to my brother's DVR also. I have the 722 and really wish I would have known it would wipe them all out.