1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleted E-Mail... Any Hope?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Laverne, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    I'm sure the short answer will be NO, but I'll ask anyway.

I accidentally deleted (Shift+Del) a couple of e-mails that I needed. (Sorry, but I think I'll leave out the painful details. ;)) Is there ANY reasonable way to get them back?

I'm on Windows XP Home Edition, and Outlook Express 6.

2. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Not sure about outlook express but microsoft outlook will let you. Select the deleted items folder, then look under tools tab and see if it shows recover deleted items. I doubt it will but there is always a chance.

3. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Nope, didn't work. Thanks anyway, Red.

4. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I googled ;) and found several different products promising to recover deleted emails from Outlook Express, but all free versions seem to be stripped down demos, with the actual save feature disabled. You can tell if your emails are recoverable, but then you have to pay $30 or so for the full version to actually get your emails back.

I believe there are ways to do it on your own, but it's beyond my limited brain capacity.

5. JonBlack

JonBlack Legend

Feb 24, 2005
    Will a rollback of Windows work in this situation?

6. Redster

Jan 14, 2004
    I found this program . Not sure how it works but it was referenced in the recover deleted email section. Its also free

Recovering Deleted Emails and Compacting your folders, the real delete

Many questions have come across my desk asking if deleted email messages are recoverable. In some instances they are not. If you have compacted your folders, explained in more detail below) then chances of retrieval are slim to none.

One freeware tool, which ewe have personally tested and loved, is Disk Investigator. this may give you a fighting chance to reclaim those emails you thought were gone.

7. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Thanks anyway, guys. It is sounding like the short answer is indeed no. :(

8. Redster

Jan 14, 2004
    It does look that way. I even checked the microsoft tech support and they had no recovery tools.

9. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Laverne, did this happen while you "weren't" snockered the other night. :lol:

10. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Nope. It happened yesterday. I was looking at the cat contest results (BTW, Mark, JB and I think you should have included some Cure lyrics in the questions :)), and was irritatingly distracted by pweezil's nauseating new avatar. I didn't realize I was in the wrong folder. :mad:

11. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    No it really only rollsback the registry. Documents, saved games etc aren't included.

The only way to retrieve mail is from a backup of the *.pst folder if you are using Outlook or redownload it from the Server if you have to option to save on whatever mail server software you are using. Most ISP's mail servers do not even allow the option. I use ArgoSoft for my own mail server and everything is kept and then archived for the last 12 months.

12. pweezil

pweezil LGOE/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 11, 2002
    Laverne,
    Sorry to have nauseated you. To be honest, I changed it before I read your post. But if I hadn't, I would have, just for you. (And to be honest, upon further review, I don't disagree with your viewpoint) So consider it gone and forgotten. Must have been the Vicodin......
    Sorry. :kisscheek

13. JBKing

JBKing Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Must have missed that. :D

14. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    pweezil,
    Please don't think I blame you. :) Just my own rushing, my own fault. :( But thanks. ;)

15. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    If you really really really need the text but don't necessarily care how you get it, it's possible if the file hasn't been compacted that the text portion could be extracted. You'd likely have to use a hex editor to view the .pst (or however OE stores messages/folders) or you could use a program like strings.

16. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    It seems that not compacting the folders would be the key if the info were recoverable.

There used to be a setting to compact (/or not) folders after they took up so much room. Now, for the life of me, I can't find it. :grrr:

17. digital223

digital223 Legend

Dec 18, 2002
    If you are referring to
    1-Rollback, meaning System Restore
    2-Windows XP Pro

Then I would like to make a comment re Laverne's problem.
    Just the other day someone using my computer, lost not only some administrator rights for access and as a result my Sent and Received e-mail as well !

I used System Restore, chose the previous day of the bad occurrence and zip zoom fly..........everything was back as if Nada happened.

Try it and please let us know how you make out.