1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Deleted items off HD-DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mastrauckas, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    My son deleted one of my games off the DVR before I had a chance to capture it and was wondering can you recover deleted items? I know it's a long shot but I figure I'd find out for sure.

2. ttodd1

ttodd1 AllStar

Oct 28, 2007
    no

3. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    That is what I thought. Thanks anyhow.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    I accidentally deleted an entire folder once, with no way to recover I am much more careful now.

5. mastrauckas

mastrauckas AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    It would be nice if Direct TV at some point had some type of file recovery system. At least files that haven't been overwritten.

Or maybe even having the ability to make it where some files can't be deleted without an extra step.

Anyway, thanks for everyones help.

6. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Seems like the old HR10-250s could do that.

Don't suppose there are too many of those left in the world.

7. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Funny how I have things pop up from time to time that I had deleted. A few weeks ago I had a Phillies/Nats game reappear. This has happened with several sports contests over the years. Strange.

8. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Since there is a dwindling about of programming that they can access, I dough it.

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    What model DVR are you discussing? The old TIVOs had an option you could recover deleted shows. Not sure if the new TIVO has that ability.

10. RBTO

RBTO Legend

Apr 11, 2009
    I think we're generally talking Directv DVRs here.

It's really too bad they don't have a limited time trash can system (that will auto dump deleted items that are, say one week old). As one poster mentioned (and I've done that with great pain), deleting an entire folder is all too easy and can represent a long term compilation that means a lot. A folder can look like a single show and is fairly easy to mistake when deleting.

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    We have asked for a Trash Bucket in the past in our DBSTALK WishList where we could Retrieve Deleted Recordings but Directv has ignored our wants and needs in this regard. :nono2:

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    dish recently improved DVR usability and added "Deleted Events" folder; now you can recover accidentally deleted show; perhaps it's time for DTV to catch up?

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well, I am going to switch to Dish!!! :lol:

I have been wanting this Feature since I accidentally Deleted a Folder because of the Lagging Response Time of my HR23-700. :nono2:

14. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    FiOS DVR's have an undelete function. There's a list of many deleted shows that I supposedly can recover but I suspect some of the older ones may not work. It did work for an accidentally deleted show that I recovered immediately.:D

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The Old HR10-250s Could Not Undelete a Recording that had been Deleted!!! :nono2:

I have asked for that Option for years and years but it just falls on Deaf Ears.

I have 2 of them in my Closet in Perfect Condition if anyone is interested!!! :lol:

16. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    They did add that feature to the 250s with the last software upgrade but it was after most people had already stopped using them. I kept one around for a while just for SD programs and really liked being able to undelete. It kept a folder for all of the deleted programs that could fit on whatever amount of free disk space that was available and the oldest one would drop off as space was needed for new recordings. It wasn't just to correct mistakes, sometimes I would change my mind about watching something, or want to go back and check something in the program.

17. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    The THR22 has a "deleted items" slot on the "now playing" list that will allow you to restore deleted programs. One of the few advantages :(

18. acer

acer Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 13, 2012
    You would think if DVR's from other companies have a delete items folder to undelete shows, DirecTV would too as they claim they have the greatest equipment out of any other provider. But then again this is a company that can't figure out how to make hd dvrs that can pick up wireless internet without the assistance of a add on kit....

19. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The HR44 has Wireless Capabilities built in.

They probably think that only a very very small population would use it so it is on the back burner as far as Priorities are concerned.

But when Dish or some other competitor comes out with something Directv normally follows suit as they all keep an eye on the Competition so perhaps we will get it one day. :D