1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Deliberately crappy camerawork

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1 of 10
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I got rid of cable a year or so ago. Actually, cable got rid of me. I was leaching off someone else's cable subscription and when he dropped cable, I chose not to pay the bill myself. I am lucky to be in overlapping major DMAs, Washington, DC and Baltimore, so I get all the "rerun" subchannels except RTV, if that is what they still are calling it, and I get five different non-profit TV stations including 12 MegaHertz subchannels, so all I'm missing that I might care about is ESPN.

One thing that does bother me, however, is that when I am looking for reruns late at night and early in the morning, a slew of the shows are fairly modern reruns of shows that I never watched first run and that use the annoying, shaky, hand held camera operation. And not only is the panning and reaiming unstable, they use jerky zoom-ins and zoom-outs that occur mid-sentence and are done by camera operators who are so uncoordinated that when they zoom, they jerk the camera off-line and back, and overzoom and then back off.

The first show that I remember trying to watch first run that was shot this way was "The Shield". I never made it through a single episode, even though I was partial to it because I had enjoyed Michael Chickless in The Commish.

What exactly is that kind of ham-fisted camera operating supposed to accomplish? It has to be done on purpose, but what is the purpose? And for that matter, when a camera is crudely zoomed in and jerked off centering for an instant, isn't that lateral jerking fake? I mean, isn't zooming done electronically now, rather than by twisting the lens mount?

2. Apr 2, 2014 #2 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I blame Blair Witch. The handheld jerk camera faking "reality TV" has made it into many show.

The other shot that tends to annoy is the circular track shot where the camera spins around a pair or group of people in conversation. It is another reason not to watch TV.

3. Apr 2, 2014 #3 of 10
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Nah. It's nypd blue that caused it IMHO.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #4 of 10
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think the strangest camerawork I've seen lately is Scandal.

5. Apr 3, 2014 #5 of 10
    gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Another annoying technique is how short the 'shots' are.

Although a favorite movie of mine, Dark City is a particularly bad offender. As I recall, the average shot length of that movie is under 3 seconds.

6. Apr 3, 2014 #6 of 10
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I seem to recall that originally being called "MTV-editing", after the quick-cut style that most music videos used in the 1980s.

Some shows know they do this. In one of the before-a-new-season recaps (Like a version of "our story so far", but for a half hour) of Battlestar Galactica, they were doing a quick-cut synopsis of so-much of what had happened the previous season and, in the rapid-fire voice-over I heard "...where they cut off the edges of of paper for some reason and nobody can hold a camera steady".

7. Apr 3, 2014 #7 of 10
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Short shots don't annoy me... except when I am evaluating the pictures from a hotel TV headend I am setting up and the channel I am working on is in commercials. Nearly all commercials flash pictures at a rate of about one per second, making it impossible to compare incremental changes when adjusting brightness, color level, sharpness, etc.

What I am talking about here is what appears to be deliberate, amateurish handling of the camera that must have been done for some psychological effect on its audience, like making something seem urgent, or stressful, or natural, but which doesn't have the desired effect on me, as evidenced by the fact that I am impelled to change the channel.

8. Apr 3, 2014 #8 of 10
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    About the average attention span of today's youthful target audience.

As a one-time professional videographer, I have long lamented what
    I call machine-gun camera work. Slice-and-dice editing, short-shots
    and flouncy-bouncy hand-held shots get on my last nerve.

9. Apr 3, 2014 #9 of 10
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    I don't notice the zoomimg problems. The circling around shot does annoy me, though. It was particularly bad on Leverage.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Seems as if it's a personal choice, much like filming movies in B&W as Woody Allen is prone to do (I think that statement is true, if not please correct me).

Rich