1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Denon 4311CI controlled power strip?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by hobie346, Jan 5, 2012.

1. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I replaced an older Denon 4308 AVR with a 4311 unit only to learn that it doesn't have the switched AC outlet. I used that outlet to power my subwoofer amp.

So now I'm looking for an external power strip that can be controlled by the trigger out jack that outputs a 12v/150ma signal.

Does anyone know of a cheap to moderately priced power strip?

2. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    You can get semi-fancy power strips that do the same thing without using the trigger. They have a "master" socket that senses current flow, which then powers-on several "slave" sockets.

Keith

3. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I've heard of those type of power strips; did a Google search but none showed up. I did find a $10 12V power relay that would work - but it would use the trigger out.

4. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, you were using the switched outlet for a sub? Those outlets typically have a fairly limited power rating. But I guess it didn't pose a problem for you. ;) I had the same issue when I switched out my previous Onkyo to the 4311 (though I'm only using it for low power things like fans and HDMI splitters). I got a Smartstrip to deal with the lack of a switched outlet in the 4311.

Your sub doesn't have it's own automatic switching?

5. hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean by "it's own automatic switching" but mine does go into power down mode when there is no input signal which is fine but I would rather have the power shut off to the sub amp (not looking to pay PG&E and more than I'm already paying) when I power off the main amp.

I when to Fry's last night and picked up a smart switch and all is fine now.

6. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    That is what I meant. :)

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule!

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    The amount of power consumed by the sub when it shuts off is minimal- typically around one to three watts, or about that drawn by an incandescent night light and almost certainly less than that drawn by your receiver when it's in standby. Definitely no need for a smart switch.

8. DarinC

DarinC Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2004
    Indeed. It probably only costs a couple bucks a year to keep a sub on standby. It would cost me a lot more just to GET to Frys, not to mention the cost of the smartswitch itself. I'm sure the sub, receiver, and/or smartswitch will be dead or gone before that ever pays for itself. ;)