1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denver Broadband Inc? MDU question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by zdave, Mar 24, 2009.

1. zdave

zdave New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    I've been a D* subscriber since 2001. I've always had standard residential HD installations. Currently I use an H-20 and an HR-20 and the slimline 5-LNB dish. I am getting ready to move into a downtown Denver loft that is serviced by Denver Broadband Inc. They have virtually no web presence that I have found save for some negative reviews. I've called and left a message but have not heard back yet.

Does anybody have any experience working with Denver Broadband and know what to expect?

2. zdave

zdave New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Well I'll update this for the records. I heard back from Denver Broadband and they charge about $50 per receiver to "install" and $36 annually to connect to their dish. I keep paying DirecTV like I always did. They asked what kind of receivers I used and didn't indicate there would be any problems with my DVR. I'll update again on Thursday after the install.

3. egnlsn

egnlsn AllStar

May 3, 2008
    God luck!

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's actually a pretty decent deal; many MDUs are much more difficult to deal with.

5. woodybeetle

woodybeetle Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Sounds like they are running that building under a residential account setting. If they had it listed with D as an MDU then you would get a discount on the programming each month and they would just do a conversion from residential to TMU status.

6. Wally20

Wally20 Mentor

Jul 30, 2007
    I live in Denver as well and have Denver Broadband as my provider. They're pretty hit and miss (mostly miss) depending on who you talk to over there. I had major issues with my service when we had an MFH-1 system and they could never seem to get it fixed. I was on the verge of canceling DirecTV when I finally negotiated a deal to have them upgrade the system (had to take the initiative since my HOA is kinda clueless about this stuff).

It took me months of dealing with them but they finally upgraded to an MFH-2 system with SWMs on each floor. Since then everything has worked pretty well but beware that some of their techs are complete idiots. I had one try and tell me that he couldn't install a HR-20 on the system. I tried to inform him that he was incorrect and it would work fine. He got extremely agitated and wouldn't even try hooking it up. I had to purchase a SWS splitter off solidsignal and hook it up myself. Of course it worked fine which is why I always talk to the people on here about any issue I'm having before I give those idiots a call.

Anyway, I guess I'm saying good luck dealing with them. Once they finally hooked things up correctly I haven't had to talk with them.

7. zdave

zdave New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Well, long story. Shortly after my initial post, Denver Broadband came to my building and they informed me that my building wasn't set up for HD, so would standard def be OK? Absolutely not! I used Comcast for about 7 months until today. Last month, Denver Broadband (now known as American Broadband) upgraded the building to a setup like Wally20 describes. It did take about a week of phone tag to make my appointment. When the installers came out, the only catch they ran into was that they said they needed to install an extra SWM on our floor because they said they had already reached the capacity of the first, which they said was 8 tuners. I hadn't researched enough to offer any guidance myself, and I likely won't now that everything seems to be working well.

As part of the new HD launch in our building, Denver/American Broadband offered a special of free installation of one HR23 and one standard def receiver. I still had an H20 that I owned from before, and they activated that for $25. They also cut me a $20 discount off of the $3/month charges for connecting to their dish, which they billed annually. Total install charges of $41. I can deal directly with DirecTV for any further programming changes, and hopefully I can get back on the "Tier 1" list I was on before.

Thanks to everybody who posted in the meantime and sorry for disappearing.