1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Determining level of compression

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by flexed2death, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flexed2death

flexed2death Cool Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Is there a way to determine how compressed a particular channel is? The reason I ask is I had my HR20 record the Wimbledon Mens finals starting at 6am PDT (in HD on NBC). I originally started watching it on my Samsung plasma TV and noticed a judder in the picture from time to time. This was a concern to me as the samsung TV I have has had reported issues with judder when horizontal tickers are present (another story not appropriate for this forum). After freaking out I decided to switch to my front projector as the display and noticed that it too had the judder I was seeing on the samsung plasma. I'm assuming that since I can see the judder on two different displays that the cause of the problem is the HR20 and am wondering if it was caused by the signal being compressed more than normal. Anyone have any opinions on my theory?

2. Slyster

Slyster Icon

May 17, 2005
    Some SD channels look VERY good.. but others.. like LINK look so horrid! I would really like to hear this answer too. They should REALLY just make all the SD channels the same... lower the really good quality channels and raise the poorest channels. Be fair!

3. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    Actually, the source for Wimbeldon feeds was not HD; NBC did the best they could with an upconvert, which may have een the source of your problems.

4. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    Not if I get to Grand Rapids!! Concerning the BASS!

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    You are assuming that the PQ is solely the responsiblity of DirecTV. Some stations are just horrible to begin with and cannot be made better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.