1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Developing Problem with 99 Sat

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gumball69, Jul 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. gumball69

gumball69 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    OK. So my neighbor has just about completed an addition to his house. Since the addition, I notice that my Signal Strength on the 99 Sat is appalling. How can I work around this. My problem is that the 99 and the 101 goes into the same port on the HD Slimline 3 LNBs. How can I work around this?

I have tried relocating the dish but the new location affects both 103 and 101. So to summarize... One location gives a good 99 but the other gives a better 103 and 101.

Can I install the second lnb and use the SWM? What do I need for this?

Thanks in advance.

2. pstr8ahead

pstr8ahead AllStar

Mar 26, 2007
    I haven't tried it with a kaku but did it with a triple and round many times...you should be able to put up a second dish. One for 99/101 and the other for 103. Just use two lines from the 99/101 into the first two inputs of a 6X8/SWM8 and two from the 103 into the next two inputs. I'm sure someone here has tried this. Hope it works.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, that won't work.

4. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The 99, 101 and 103º satellites are pretty close together in the sky, so I'm surprised that you can't find a suitable location, or that your neighbor's addition would just block 99º. There's no way to combine multiple dishes for 99, 101 and 103º.

5. gumball69

gumball69 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    Thanks guys. Litz you have similar sentiments of the installer that came by. He too is surprised of the effect. I've checked out the TP maps and see where I I'm not losing much on the 99. In fact, there is signal but in the low 50's. Wish I could get something that keeps a log of the signal strength for a period in order to get some kind of a map/graph of the peak times. Signal strength for 101 is also affected but not as bad as 99 which gets hit the hardest. It's definitely a line of site issue. It's the HD networks on 99 that are my main issues. Anyway, I'm soaking up the various setup and am willing to give it a shot. Failing that I will just have to live with it. Ordered a few diplexers and splitters and another switch.

6. eakes

eakes Godfather

Sep 21, 2007
    It sounds like the dish is partially blocked from the new addition next door. Is it possible to raise the dish at its present location 3 or 4 feet higher? Or can you move it a few feet farther away from the addition?

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Also, if you are willing to accept the additional cost and unsightliness of it that is, you could install two SlimLine-5 dishes. One each for the separate locations, where one is located where it receives the 99/101 signals well and the other the 103/110/119 well.

Two lines from the 99/101 only dish feed to the 13v/18v input (Sat A) of the multiswitch and two lines from the other 103/110/119 only dish to the 13v/18v + 22KHz input.

Note: You must use a SlimLine-5 LNB on at least the 103/110/119 dish.

Just a suggestion, but a rather extreme and probably aesthetically unappealing one too I realize. :)

8. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    That won't work. There's no way to electrically isolate 99/101 on one LNB/dish and 103/110/119 on the other LNB/dish.

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    While I realize there was a error in my original post which I corrected (see above). I must have brainlock here then or something because I don't see how a two SlimeLine dish solution won't work as long as two lines from one dish are connected to the "Sat A" input on the multiswitch and two lines from the other dish to the "Sat B" inputs.

10. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    As long as he has LoS on 99/101 at one location and 103/119 at the other, it should be a simple setup to combine the dishes using a multi-switch. It gets complicated when you can't see all of the stack plan from one spot, like trying to combine 103 and 119 from 2 dishes.

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I don't believe it is as simple as that!!!!

I also can't believe that his LOS is so tight that he can't see 99 to 103 degrees of sky. My guess is that going higher would fix the problem.

12. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    See the link in my signature below about combining multiple dishes. Even if each only "sees" the desired satellites, you can't simply combine their signals using the multiswitch inputs. They will interfere with each other. In the thread I linked you'll see steps that some folks took to actually open up the LNB assemblies to isolate the desired LNBs, but that's very very difficult to do, and it didn't work well either.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    i'm sorry, but I am still having trouble seeing where the interference would be coming from. :confused:

Oh I've been to your link to multi-dish setups many times, but in this situation here if you have two AU-9 SlimLine dishes. For instance as an illustration even if both dishes receive well from all the orbital slots, if the only control signals one dish receives from an external multiswitch are the 13v/18v from the Sat A input then won't the dish's LNB output always be 99/101 odd channels on one cable and the 99/101 even channels on the other?

And on the other dish if the only control signals it will ever receive from the multiswitch is the 13v/18v + 22 KHz from the "Sat B" input so the LNB output from the second dish is 103/119 odd channels on one cable and 103/110/119 even channels on the other cable?

Now you are saying the external multiswitch cannot combine these four signals into the usual Ka/Ku frequency stack as though it came from a single LNB?

My brainlock here continues I guess then ... :)

14. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I have to agree. I don't see how a multiswitch could have a problem if one dish could see 99/101 and the other could see 101/103 or 103/119. The signal is always coming 100% from one dish or the other and I see no reason why there would be any interference.

I am curious as 99/101/103 are pretty tightly grouped and getting one but not the other is pretty uncommon. Have you checked www.dishpointer.com to check your LoS?

15. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    This post is getting really confused.
    Yes, you should be able to take 99 and 101 from one dish and 103/110/119 from another and combine them at the multiswitch. Litzdog - this should work OK. But ANY OTHER combination won't work. That is the ONLY working combination. So if you can't get good 99 and 101 signals at one location (which is what I think the OP is saying) combining dishes won't work.

16. gumball69

gumball69 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    I have two wb-68 switches and actually spent my Sunday night fooling around it. I almost got to work late this morning just because of this. Here's what I have done so far.

Because the houses are relatively close together, I can't go higher because the neighbors don't want anything sticking off their walls. I have two dishes working now. One that points to the 99/101 while the other points to the 103/110/119

Basically, I run four wires to the dvr receiver and use an old time vcr/tv switch to move between LNBs. So when I want to want something on 103, I simply slide the switch to the other side. I am certainly gonna miss work tomorrow because a friend of mine says he wants to get a splitter that sends the signal to both lnbs and would only respond on the one that works. So, for argument's sake, if I tune to a channel which will get response from the 99 lnb, it will go the the appropriate lnb and get the response.

I will let you guys know how it works out. Contrary to Litz's theory, This electrical genius confidently thinks the contraption should work so I am all for trying. After that, I will try to use an SWM in order to cut down on the cable runs. My wife has already started to give me the rolled eyes for the extra wire now in the living room. For now we have a standing agreement its either the wire or a 3d TV. :hurah: pity she doesn't know it is almost a win-win for me. This is cheaper than a 3d tv.

I am now thinking I need to change address because I can't live without my Directv. If it were a drug I would be in some serious problems.

17. litzdog911

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I still don't think it will work. But let us know what you find.

18. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    You should be able to hook the WB68 up and get everything working with out manual switching. Connect the 103/110/119 dish to the two 22khz tone inputs and connect the 99/101 dish up to the two no tone inputs and it should be fine. The receiver will send the signal to the Wb68 for the part it needs and the WB68 will select the correct input for that signal which will be hooked up to the dish that is able to get that signal.

19. gumball69

gumball69 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    Thanks you guys. The setup works like a charm after a few glitches. Eventually we had to tune the sats independently. We were trying to position the dish using the Accutrac 22 Pro. We had to disconnect and tune each satellite pair independently per dish. Here's the scope...
    1. 2 DVRs and 1 h21 connected to the WB68

2. 103/110/119 WB connection goes to the left-most
    connection on the HD3 LNB on the existing/old setup

3. 99/101 connected to a second lnb (right-most) on a
    new dish that is located about 4 feet from the old setup

So the gentleman says, when the receiver wants to get a channel from the 99 satellite, it will continue sening the request (or whatever it sends) to the correct lnb without 'knowing' that the 103 is really on another sat. Same thing goes for the finding a channel on the 103.
    It's really amazing because I was suffering earlier in the year when the last few episodes of 24 started to freeze.

Talk about hairline. The guys has an iPhone and could use some app on it to virtually look through the obstructing building and found the best postion for the dish. The Sats are superimposed on the camera mode thereby giving a perfect picture of where the dish has a clear line of sight. The 99/101/102.8 sats show up as a kind of large dot but parts of it was touching the building. Using the Naked Eye, I was looking in a very different direction than what the phone showed.

Pretty amazing. I am happy again. Wow. Been missing Art Mann as well as some bikini destination.:hurah::lol:

Again thanks for your input. As I said earlier, I am gonna get a SWM and ride my luck... after all I got the go ahead.

20. gumball69

gumball69 Mentor

May 30, 2007