1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diagnostic code "14-884" Blue ring spinning

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GBFAN, Sep 23, 2010.

1. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Came home today and the HR20 had the blue ring spinning and tried various methods i.e. unplug, red button, selected reboot from the screen with the diagnostic code. I have powered it down for now. The tech support person initially acted as if the code didn't exist but hen after the various tests said the code said to send a replacement.

Had this HR20 since October 2006. It treated me well but now it is the beginning of new shows for the season and stuff was lost.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    14,15 - hard drive diagnostic failure at bootup. Surface scan will attempt to solve problems.

Hard drive is toast.

3. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Won't even run diagnostics from the advanced menu.

Has anyone been successful with an external drive when it is in this state? I do have a drive and enclosure I never got around to using.

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It should still be able to initialize an external eSATA drive. But why do that when you can get a replacement HD DVR for $20, free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan. Do you really want a DVR with a dead internal drive?

5. GBFAN

GBFAN Godfather

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes. I had them order a replacement but it wouldn't get here until this week sometime. I decided to go out and "lease" an HR24 since it is a crapshoot as to what they will send you for a replacement. I am going to use the replacement where I currently have an H20 and deactivate the H20.