1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dick Cheney's Attempted Coup on 9/11

Discussion in 'The OT' started by James_F, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    MSNBC/Newsweek - Who Was Really In Charge?
    After the 9-11 attacks, Cheney sent Bush away and took control of the US response to the attacks. He essentially staged a coup, taking over as "commander in chief". This information was contained in a draft report from the 9-11 Commission.
    This is startling information. The vice president ordered the president sent away and took control of the government.

There is no other word for this than "coup".

There was a reason Cheney didn't want Bush testifying to the commission by himself.

The initial report flat out accused Cheney of lying, but that has since been taken out after a fierce lobbying effort by the White House -- a rare victory by a White House that may see its entire 9-11 fiction exposed to voters right before the election.

2. keng52

keng52 Legend

Oct 18, 2003
    One of the definitions of Coup is "A brilliantly executed stratagem; a triumph. " Cheney Thanks you for the compliment I'm sure.

3. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Triumph for Cheney, what about the Constitution?

Though in this case a coup is

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Your interpretation that Cheney "sent Bush away" is pure fantasy at best, and a gross misunderstanding of the developing situation, and how constitutional authority works. Leaving Florida, the president wanted to immediately return to D.C., but others, including the Secret Service, argued against it, say it was too dangerous. Bush then agreed to be flown to a more secure area of the country. On board Air Force One, the president was in instant and continuous communication with the White House, the vice president and the situation room at all times.

As to Cheney's authorization of an air-to-air strike, I am fully confident that his order was issued only after consultation with Bush, or under the authority of standing orders.

Your attempt to paint Mr. Cheney as another Al Haig, and to characterize the actions Cheney took in an extreme emergency as an attempted coup just doesn't cut it. You should reconsider and stop trying to invent a conspiracy where none exists.

5. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    It's the European model

The President is the head of state, a ceremonial office occupied by a senior but not historically powerful figure who sets a moral tone.

The Prime Minister is the head of government, an operational position occupied by a powerful politician who really runs the show.

The Europeans openly call Cheney the Prime Minister. And I don't think anybody with any sense has ever fooled themselves that it would be otherwise, not even during the 2000 campaign.

And let's face it, would you really prefer Bush to be in charge at a moment of crisis?

The sooner this bunch of clowns is forcibly retired, the better for everyone.

6. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    OK, how about this?

Dubya didn't know what to do and probably told the Dick to take care of it.
    Of course, there is no question that the Dubya did relinquish his powers during this time, sort of the way presidents do when they, say, undergo anesthesia during a medical procedure.

So my interpretation of the history is less of matter of describing a coup and more a matter of showing that the Dubya is incompetent and cowardly.

7. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Like it or not President Bush needed to be protected. The democrats came out yelling " Why is the President Hiding?" And then they ran for the underground bunkers.

8. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    :nono2:

9. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I'm certainly no big fan of this administration, but I've got to agree with Nick. I suspect both the President and VP responded about as well as they could have under the circumstances. I seriously doubt any of us would have wanted to be in their shoes for the first 48 hours or so.

10. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Why would any of us expect the "man" who was protecting Texas from Mexico during the Vietnam war to be anything other than that?

11. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    So to advise the President to stay away from Washington DC (which is EXACTLY what the Secret Service was advising him as well) is a coup attempt?

I guess that's a good point since the only place the President can function is at the White House. Imagine if we had airplanes with telephones, computer, internet capabilities, and the ability to work, broadcast on the airwaves, communicate with anyone from anywhere in the world.

Just imagine. . .

12. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    WHAT A CROCK! Next thing you know, you're going to be telling us we can get television from space or something!!!

13. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    James, if you believe what you are saying, you need help. Your biases are really out of control and your ideas are so far off the reality scale as to be irrelevant. Get your nose out of Britney's cleavage and come up for air. Sustained oxygen deprivation will lead to hallucinations, dementia or worse. :eek:

:nono2:

14. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Yeah, look what it's done to Nick!!! :D

15. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually, there is good evidence of who THOUGHT he was in control on 9-11 and who didn't appreciate the presumption one little bit.

As we all know, on 9-11 Bush was taken to SAC. While he was in "the Hole" Bush received a communication from Cheney. Cheney was shooting off his mouth, until Bush informed him that he was being heard by the entire room.

16. keng52

keng52 Legend

Oct 18, 2003
    I thank God every day that George W Bush was President on 9/11 and not The now positively insane Al Gore.[/QUOTE]Why would any of us expect the "man" who was protecting Texas from Mexico during the Vietnam war to be anything other than that

17. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    He's posted some nice avatars. :D

18. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Well, in that same fashion, I've saved the entire planet Earth from certain destruction by single-handedly preventing an alien invasion simply because the aliens know very well I would personally spank them and send them right back to their own planet without dinner. :D

19. James_F

Apr 23, 2002
    Nothing lately, but I'm ex USMC. Fought in the Gulf War... Flew in CH-46's...

Currently a Military Planner helping the Marines train for Desert Warefare at MCAGCC Twentynine Palms and at MCAS Yuma. Also work with MCAS Camp Pendleton and their training.

20. Skyboss

Skyboss Icon

Jan 22, 2004
    Is this where the BS flag gets raised????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.