1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Did anyone try Neverwet on their D* dish yet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SBI, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SBI

SBI AllStar

Feb 20, 2004
    People's...
    And if so, is there any negative effect on reception?

This product looks very promising to me in the way of preventing snow buildup during heavy snow. When this happens I need to take my long witch broom and clean the dish through the top of my dining room double-hung window while standing on a chair. Not a pleasant thing to do, and it usually happens at night.

Thanks.

2. Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    How do you think the ability to repel water would affect snow buildup? If it is liquid, it would run off on its own, wouldn't it? I guess it is worth a try, but as a total non scientist, and in a non scientific way, it doesn't make much sense to me.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Probably a waste of money, unless it helps snow slide off. A wet dish isn't a problem. It's the rain/snow between your dish and the satellites that causes problems.

4. SBI

SBI AllStar

Feb 20, 2004
    People's...
    I know that a wet dish is not the issue. I don't have a problem when it just rains, only when there are severe thunderstorms in the dish's path.
    My problem with snow is that when we have heavy (and wet) snow, it builds up on the dish and the LNB (for some reason I never had this problem with the smaller non-HD dish) and unless I clean the dish we have no reception. I assume that applying this to the dish and LNB will prevent snow to stick to them.

5. Joe166

Joe166 AllStar

Jan 5, 2007
    That's my point, how do you know it has any effect on snow at all? Totally different characteristics from water. Lighter, fluffier (a scientific term), etc. Try it, let us know, although if it snows heavily in Coral Gables, FL, I suspect I will have much bigger problems than losing my picture.

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I would think Pam would work better than Neverwet for keeping snow off a dish. After all wax doesn't keep snow off your car does it? Wax does pretty much what Neverwet does.

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They make heaters for the dishes and the people that have installed one swear by them.

Instead of a broom, try a kids Super Soaker with soapy water in it to get the snow off after it gets on it.

1 person likes this.
  8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Pam would attract birds and the like. as far as wax keeping snow off the car, here is proof

But yet, my dish has not a drop of snow!!!!!

Attached Files:

9. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    I watched a youtube on the stuff, looks like it's worth a try.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Sure if you want to waste your money

11. SBI

SBI AllStar

Feb 20, 2004
    People's...
    Care to elaborate why it would be a waste of money?

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The amount that you'd need to cover a dish costs less than $10. If he wants to try it, why not?

I don't know that trying it would tell you if it works, unless you have a 'control' dish that is unsprayed. Maybe if you have a next door neighbor with a dish at the same height that tends to accumulate snow in an identical manner if one of you tries it you can see if it makes a difference. I could see it maybe working for freezing rain and maybe that wet snow that falls when it is right near freezing. But if it really bothers you a dish heater would seem to be a better solution.

Does anyone have any photos of what a dish looks like when it causes signal loss? I've seen my dish with snow in it before or coated with an inch of ice, neither caused any reception issues. Are those of you with problems getting so much snow it is burying the dish from underneath? If that's the case, obviously even if Neverwet works to keep the snow off it won't stop your dish from being buried, any more than neverwet would stop your dish from being underwater if you put it in your pool :)

13. SBI

SBI AllStar

Feb 20, 2004
    People's...
    I am not worried about the cost or whether or not it'll solve the problem, I don't mind at all the $18 that it costs to try it. I am concerned that the coat, not knowing the material and what it does, will decrease or interrupt signal.
    I would probably opt for a dish heater but I do not have AC plug anywhere around it.

Also, my dish is high, more than 10 ft. from the ground. It never gets buried in snow, however during heavy wet snow, snow accumulates on the dish and the LNB and that cuts my signal. So I am hoping that Neverwet can 'prevent' heavy snow from sticking to the dish/LNB.

14. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    But yet, my dish has not a drop of snow!!!!!

But your D* van sure does. :)

15. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I always assumed dish heaters used a coaxial cable for power similar to a power injector for a SWM LNB? Or do they use too much current for RG6 to carry?

If they use coaxial cable you wouldn't need an AC outlet anywhere, just a spare/additional cable...

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    When I lived in the Sierras, I'd need to clean the wet snow off the dish & LNB. It seemed I was on snow removal and would have to wait to watch the recording later.
    Sometimes there wasn't that much on the reflector, but since it's the sum of everything between the SAT & LNB, the dish was all I could change.

I've seen a photo of a dish with 6" of snow buildup, and the claim of no signal loss. All I can think was that was very dry snow, as I can blank out signal on a sunny day with a wet towel.

Dish heater seem to be the best option if snow is a regular problem.

If the TS want's to try Neverwet on the reflector, I don't see a problem. It "might" help, or simply do nothing [like the silicon spray I tried].

17. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    Haven't tried Neverwet yet...two different scenarios..When I has Dish Neywork and the dish was on top of the trailer it would collect snow and ice weekly.. (Fell off the ladder once trying to clear :eek: ) Moved to a new house 3 miles away and no snow problems :)
    I heard using Pam causes problems as it breaks down due to weather by attracting dirt and gunk..
    Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

18. Cyber36

Cyber36 Legend

Mar 20, 2008
    Byron NY
    What about regular WD-40 or silicone?

19. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That doesn't prove the small amount of moisture a towel can hold causes signal loss. Only that a towel causes signal loss, and adding water to it pushes it over the edge to where it is problem (I'm assuming you tried it with a dry towel as a control?)

If the tiny amount of water a towel can hold caused signal loss, you'd think even simple drizzle would be enough to cause rain fade, because the signal would be traveling through much more water (even just between the clouds and the ground) than a wet towel could ever hold!

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You might want to use a meter and check the results.