1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did DTV Improve HD PQ Recently?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, May 20, 2011.

1. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

HD seems a little sharper to me or am wrong?

2. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    They did have a little mpeg4 encoding error that may has now been worked out. It caused the picture change from sharp to fuzzy

Edit: small iPhone typo...

3. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    What channel?? I still have sharp to fuzzy on HBO and A&E.

4. FranklyFred

FranklyFred Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    Interesting been watching Tour Of California on Versus HD and thought it looked super sharp.

5. pallisers

pallisers Cool Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Most games on MLB EI look very good daily here. Great HD PQ

6. integra

integra New Member

May 21, 2011
    After the last software update, I have noticed the improved picture quality, Sharper and colors look better. Something changed that is for sure my tv also seem little brighter.

7. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Transponder loading hasn't changed, so it's not like they could have increased the bitrates.

8. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    No change at all.

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    No.

10. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That's true. HOWEVER, since the very beginning, DirecTV's (and Dish's) feeds have always been variable bitrate, with encoders that encode several channels into a single mux per transponder. From moment to moment, if the bandwidth needs of one or more of the other channels on that transponder falls, that bandwidth becomes available to the other channels on that transponder that might need it more.

Part of the "clear to fuzzy" issue may be, say, a channel in the mux that goes to black, because a commercial that was supposed to be inserted wasn't. A black screen for 30 seconds takes almost no bandwidth to encode, so for that 30 seconds, the other channels on that transponder have a good chunk of extra bandwidth. 30 seconds later, the "black" channel goes to normal programming, and suddenly the bandwidth on the other channels goes to normal. It is *possible* that this might be enough of a variation to notice, especially since it is an abrupt change rather than a continuous one.

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've noticed the better PQ, too. Don't know why, just happy to see it. Glad to see it wasn't my imagination....:lol:

Rich

12. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    The issue with sharp to fuzzy is it's like normal to bad, so I'm not sure battels theory applies to that problem. Its not going normal to great, it's normal to crap and back every second.

13. FranklyFred

FranklyFred Legend

Oct 4, 2006
    58" Samsung plasma thought someone messed with my tv settings sure looks better to me

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I've seen no difference. Remember live outdoor sporting events, even on a tape delay, look better than in studio shows.

15. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

The audio on some HD channels seems lower especially when TBS shows HD movies.

16. Panny08

Panny08 New Member

May 31, 2009
    i have noticed and improvement on both of my tvs since the last update as well.

17. alm

alm Mentor

Sep 12, 2009
    I've also noticed an improvement especially on my local ABC channel. Previously the picture looked a little soft. Now it is a lot sharper and clearer than before.

18. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think (not completely sure) that DIRECTV has been making use of newer and better encoders. There is probably a mix of equipment right now, but as time moves forward, the good encoders are being replaced by better encoders.

19. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Having just switched from Dish Network, I can tell you that to me there is a huge difference in HD quality on DirecTv. The HD is much sharper and clear. Less fuzzy and compressed looking.

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Thanks for that post.

It's always nice to hear/read actual user reports comparing the two services.

...and...

:welcome_s to the DirecTV side of the house.